Adal size

What was the true peak of the Adal sultanate? I see maps like this online but I read that Gurey at one point took nearly all of Ethiopia but I'd like to know if anyone got any sources.

Attachments

• Location_of_Adal_Sultanate.png
    Location_of_Adal_Sultanate.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 42

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
I wonder what was going on in the grey areas, I find it hard to believe there were no empires or some sort of loosely organized state in those gaps. I wonder if the Ogaden Sultanate exists tbh

Information on Awdal's size and maps from another thread:

Not accurate at all. At least consult direct primary sources on that period if you are going to make maps out of it.
Awdal was not in Southern Somalia (No idea where OP got that from) and was not confined to that location shown in that map he posted.

It extended from the Djibouti-Zeila corridor to and over Cape Guardafui (Bari-Nugaal) Vassal and in the interior past Harar until it reached the Hawash/Showa river/plateu.

Portuguese description on Awdal's territory in year 1520:
AvYpUYB.png

Same is shown in internal/external Arabic sources, in fact the Arabic sources even taking a further and describing interior towns connecting it to the wider polity.

Heck even maps like these made a century after is more accurate:

Dutch%20School%20-%20Map%20of%20Africa%20from%20Nova%20Africa%20Descriptio%20published%20in%20Amsterdam%20in%20the%201660s%20by%20Dutch%20cartographer%20Frederik%20de%20Wit%20%20-%20%28MeisterDrucke-61894%29.jpg

Trending