A teen said no to an ‘arranged’ marriage, investigators say. Her parents threw hot oil on her.

Is arranged marriage common in the Somali community today.

• Yes

• No

• IDK

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wars

Inhermouth
Sometime in mid-2017, Maarib Al Hishmawi’s parents told her they had found a man for her to marry.

Soon, he would pay the family $20,000, they said, according to investigators. After that, 15-year-old Maarib would move to another city and be his bride.

When Maarib balked, her parents insisted — violently. They beat her with broomsticks, Bexar County (Texas) Sheriff Javier Salazar said. They choked her “almost to the point of unconsciousness.” They threw hot oil on her.

The only way to make the violence stop was to relent — or to at least make her parents think she had.

Maarib said she would go through with the marriage. But as her wedding date neared, she was working on a plan. On Jan. 30, Maarib walked out of Taft High School in San Antonio and disappeared.

What’s your take on arranged marriage?

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
i haven't heard of any somalis being forced into marriage. only arraigned marriages where the parent or a family member recommends a person to their child. no somali that i have heard of was being forced into marrying someone they didn't want.

i have only heard of forced marriages happening in other cultures, like asians, and arabs.

wars

Inhermouth
i haven't heard of any somalis being forced into marriage. only arraigned marriages where the parent or a family member recommends a person to their child. no somali that i have heard of was being forced into marrying someone they didn't want.
i have only heard of forced marriages happening in other cultures, like asians, and arabs.
I was not satisfied with the level of traction I’ve earned on this post -- in fact I was very disappointed, and utterly disgusted.

I never wanted to post anything else EVER, until Jerome came thru.

I do appreciate your input Jerome, you’re a true friend.

f*ck ALL YA’ALL!

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP
In sspot, i always see somali father bashing comments and threads. Alhamillah our fathers are never abuse or force their children like arabs and south asians. Yet we still disrespect them smh :bell:

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
I was not satisfied with the level of traction I’ve earned on this post -- in fact I was very disappointed, and utterly disgusted.

I never wanted to post anything else EVER, until Jerome came thru.

I do appreciate your input Jerome, you’re a true friend.

f*ck ALL YA’ALL!
:russ::russ::russ:

But seriously I here it mostly from asians. There was a vid on twitter where the guy who was in a forced marriage was crying at the wedding. It seems like he was in a situation where he just couldn't escape if he could.

wars

Inhermouth
:russ::russ::russ:

But seriously I here it mostly from asians. There was a vid on twitter where the guy who was in a forced marriage was crying at the wedding. It seems like he was in a situation where he just couldn't escape if he could.
Now hold on, you might be on to something...

Nahh move on Jerome, your beating a dead horse.

wars

Inhermouth
7D43310F-3C70-4D54-9A65-B7F44D5351F9.jpeg
You don’t have to quote me you f*ck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending