A Somali man returned to Libya under Italian policy sets himself on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

A Somali man set himself on fire in a Libyan detention centre on Wednesday, according to fellow detainees and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).

The man, who is in his late 20s, reportedly doused himself in petrol from a generator in the centre and lit it, after telling friends he had lost hope of being relocated to a safe country.

Sources told The Irish Times the man carried out the action after being told he had little chance of evacuation by visiting officials from the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR). The UNHCR said it was trying to verify this.

IOM spokesman Joel Millman said the detainee had set himself on fire as an “act of protest”.

“He was admitted into the hospital yesterday in Tripoli in the burn centre for intensive medical care. Our medical team visited him and informed the management that they are willing to support if it is needed,” he said.

However, a fellow detainee said he believed the Somali man had died. “All refugees have [a] very bad feeling. Today [we’re] not eating at all because so many people have died.” This would be the eighth death in Triq al Sikka centre this year, according to the detainee.

Tens of thousands of refugees and migrants have been returned to Libya since February 2017, when the country’s UN-backed government entered into a deal with Italy to prevent migration to Europe. Italian politicians have called the deal a success, because it has reduced the number of people arriving on their shores.

Rife with abuse

However, for the men, women and children returned to Libya, the situation is bleak. More than a dozen detainees across Tripoli contacted by phone have described detention centres rife with abuse, where they’re fed once a day at most, forced to work, and sometimes beaten or raped. Overcrowding has led to the spread of infectious diseases like tuberculosis.

Those detained include pregnant women and children of all ages.

Sources in Zintan, a detention centre 180km southwest of Tripoli, said that four detainees have died there within the past month. They say the poor conditions, including a lack of sanitation, have caused or contributed to the deaths.

In Tripoli, detainees in two centres said their families at home are being forced to send money for them to buy food because managers in the Libyan department for combating illegal immigration (DCIM)-run centres say there is no other way for them to eat.
Cross the Mediterranean

Many detainees’ families have already paid ransoms of more than $2,000 to smugglers who held them prisoner, regularly torturing them, before allowing them to attempt to cross the Mediterranean.

One man said the manager in his centre withholds food depending on his mood and whims. “If the leader of the detention centre gets happy by something in his own personal situation he tries to serve us food, if [he] not get happy he tries to stop it.”

In September, the UNHCR updated its policy to say Libya is no longer a safe country to return people to. The organisation is currently registering detainees from countries including Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan and Ethiopia, who cannot return home or are unwilling to because of conflict or fear of persecution. Many are hoping for evacuation from Libya, but the number of resettlement places currently offered by other countries is very limited.

Muji

VIP
Sad and we have people like Hamdia saying she hates the country who gave her a safe haven. I wish we could have traded her for him. :birdman:

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Honestly i have no sympathy for all the somalis who tahriib. f*ck them, if you cannot appreciate the blessing of staying in your fatherland then i don't care what happens to you.

Muji

VIP
Honestly i have no sympathy for all the somalis who tahriib. f*ck them, if you cannot appreciate the blessing of staying in your fatherland then i don't care what happens to you.

And you write this from your cushy governmental housing in London.

Shame on you disgusting pig.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
And you write this from your cushy governmental housing in London.

Shame on you disgusting pig.
Don't put this on me, i'm not the neef who set fire to myself.

This is natural selection at work, neefs like this guy probably isn't capable of affecting positive change in Somalia so its probably natures way of saying "Good riddance".

Don't put this on me, i'm not the neef who set fire to myself.

This is natural selection at work, neefs like this guy probably isn't capable of affecting positive change in Somalia so its probably natures way of saying "Good riddance".
woow you sound like a white guy with no naxariis.....natures way kulaha. Shame on you. If you had any idea the sh1t these people go through. Have some humanity man

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
woow you sound like a white guy with no naxariis.....natures way kulaha. Shame on you. If you had any idea the sh1t these people go through. Have some humanity man
If you are so worried about unpatriotic somalis dying and setting themselves on fire just to leave their own homeland, then i suggest you pack your bags and help them out.

Why are the sheiks not anything saying about Al shabab terrorizing the country? Instead they jump to support child marriage.
Do you know how many sheikhs were killed by Alshabab right after leaving the mosque? Too many to count! What you have to say understand is that many young people are doing tahriib from places like Somalilands major cities. Therefore, the issue is not entirely about Alshabab, though they are part of the dynamic.

When Farmaajo went to take the Somalis back home from Libya, many Somalis refused to come back with him and instead just to long it out in Libya. That’s the barometer for how much hope young people have lost in their motherland.

People like Yonis talk about “blessings” but there is no hope for many people under the age of 30 unless you have a very wealthy clan relative or someone from home starts something up for you.

Only people in the politics section who compete about who has “more toilets” or has “less aids” see these “blessings”. A blessing is not having to call a relative abroad when you have severe tooth ace or you need a minor operation.

If you are so worried about unpatriotic somalis dying and setting themselves on fire just to leave their own homeland, then i suggest you pack your bags and help them out.
College students many times got bombed in their graduation who could make a change in their country. You can't blame the guy for trying to leave because there is no hope in a country with greed and retarded bombers. He didn't want to go back to Libya where he was abused so he killed himself.

Dude unless you live in somalia you have no right to diss desperate people looking for better life. Im not the one who is showing no care for someone so disillusion with life they set fire on themselves. Again you lack humanity.....shame on you

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
College students many times got bombed in their graduation who could make a change in their country. You can't blame the guy for trying to leave because there is no hope in a country with greed and retarded bombers. He didn't want to go back to Libya where he was abused so he killed himself.
There is hope, there is always hope, thats why you see plenty somalis leaving their comfortable western lifestyles to set up businesses in Somalia, In a time when Somalia needs to rebuild from civil war, the last thing the people need to be doing if fucking doing tahriib

There is hope, there is always hope, thats why you see plenty somalis leaving their comfortable western lifestyles to set up businesses in Somalia, In a time when Somalia needs to rebuild from civil war, the last thing the people need to be doing if fucking doing tahriib
You are refuting your own point. Those that do Tahriib do so in the hope of starting a business just like your diaspora who came back with a waddle of cash....,,..

Do you know how many sheikhs were killed by Alshabab right after leaving the mosque? Too many to count! What you have to say understand is that many young people are doing tahriib from places like Somalilands major cities. Therefore, the issue is not entirely about Alshabab, though they are part of the dynamic.

When Farmaajo went to take the Somalis back home from Libya, many Somalis refused to come back with him and instead just to long it out in Libya. That’s the barometer for how much hope young people have lost in their motherland.

People like Yonis talk about “blessings” but there is no hope for many people under the age of 30 unless you have a very wealthy clan relative or someone from home starts something up for you.

Only people in the politics section who compete about who has “more toilets” or has “less aids” see these “blessings”. A blessing is not having to call a relative abroad when you have severe tooth ace or you need a minor operation.
The government needs to start mining to get somalia off their ass. Turkey can help teach how to refine iron ore to steel. We have iron ore in somalia. Steel is a big industry Trump is doing trade wars over it. It makes billions. Somalia can step in to sell it to different countries including the US. But the leaders would rather get handouts from china in exchange or 90 year port lease.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Motherland!!!

But I can't blame them, while we enjoy the good life and they suffer at the hands of Alshabab. I wish there were other ways they could come to the west.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
You are refuting your own point. Those that do Tahriib do so in the hope of starting a business just like your diaspora who came back with a waddle of cash....,,..
I find that so hard to believe, all you have to do is look through the statistics of somali refugee employment rates in Europe to determine the likelyhood of them starting businesses. (And its not very high)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending