A Related Beja on 23andMe

About a month ago I checked 23andMe to see for potential new relatives. Interestingly, I found one individual with a peculiar name and automatically guessed it would be a Beja. Now, even better, what I found was a Beja with a Somali grandparent, specifically a maternal grandfather, who came to the Eastern Desert in the early 1900s from Hargeisa, according to the individual himself, whom I messaged.

Before I had confirmed if the person was Beja (before sending a private message), I searched the name up and assumed I would get something that would indicate through the algorithm that my assumption was correct. Yet again, even better, the individual was a public figure, a research professor with a long list of publications, meaning this was a highly distinguished character.

So I wanted to post his score:
-DQS8amnrWnKa6jDD6bOsfrRdxCKuJCdTEMLYfFY4K-dhQiRphOs2kCe1dY_bqGP3no1X8oYTVU9XD_2Eb5DRnp-weq32nybguJK94-DyaPiNkpTLFEpDZ3MGrrG_KMPi79YyYamEk7LkCb-jaAkj4o

As I scrolled through the work of the Red Sea Hills native, I found one article revealing the person's backstory that I wanted to share for people to read (link):

1686504790110.png

I even found this:icon lol::

A map of where various Beja groups inhabit (don't know the accuracy of this):
1686505831017.png

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
About a month ago I checked 23andMe to see for potential new relatives. Interestingly, I found one individual with a peculiar name and automatically guessed it would be a Beja. Now, even better, what I found was a Beja with a Somali grandparent, specifically a maternal grandfather, who came to the Eastern Desert in the early 1900s from Hargeisa, according to the individual himself, whom I messaged.

Before I had confirmed if the person was Beja (before sending a private message), I searched the name up and assumed I would get something that would indicate through the algorithm that my assumption was correct. Yet again, even better, the individual was a public figure, a research professor with a long list of publications, meaning this was a highly distinguished character.

-DQS8amnrWnKa6jDD6bOsfrRdxCKuJCdTEMLYfFY4K-dhQiRphOs2kCe1dY_bqGP3no1X8oYTVU9XD_2Eb5DRnp-weq32nybguJK94-DyaPiNkpTLFEpDZ3MGrrG_KMPi79YyYamEk7LkCb-jaAkj4o

As I scrolled through the work of the Red Sea Hills native, I found one article revealing the person's backstory that I wanted to share for people to read (link):

View attachment 278552

View attachment 278557
I wonder which sub is his father’s Reer abti

NidarNidar

Punisher

View attachment 278552

View attachment 278557
LOL he looks like my Uncle who was also a professor, even the same nose, whats your haplogroup?

Wuxu fuddud badhanaa... maxaa eastern desertka geeye? Habar adventurous!

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
I suspect the initial contact was, from taking a ship from the coast to the eastern port, perhaps trade, maybe ships-crewman, or a young guy looking for work somewhere else and jumping on a boat and settling somehow.

Young men used to earn money in Arabia and return. I came across this particular story of a young Somali man that ended up in Saudi Arabia in the late 1800s (or a bit later), did good work became a bit influential by becoming recognized in the regional administration, all to have enough money to go back and buy a lot of weapons for his clans-men to dominate the particular region.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I suspect the initial contact was, from taking a ship from the coast to the eastern port, perhaps trade, maybe ships-crewman, or a young guy looking for work somewhere else and jumping on a boat and settling somehow.

Young men used to earn money in Arabia and return. I came across this particular story of a young Somali man that ended up in Saudi Arabia in the late 1800s (or a bit later), did good work became a bit influential by becoming recognized in the regional administration, all to have enough money to go back and buy a lot of weapons for his clans-men to dominate the particular region.

Oh, that was regular. My own grandfather did that as I told you but it's a bit strange for a woman. They typically didn't crew Somali Dhow crews, as far as I've read, but it's perfectly possible they took her on as a passenger or Arabs and Indians did. Look at the sheer number of Somali women who were working out of ports like Aden and Mukha. They got there somehow so Port-Sudan and onward to the interior is not THAT far-fetched. It's just that it was not really a bustling place around the early 1900s, as far as I know, so you wonder what prompted her to go. Guess it might have had some opp she heard about at the time.

Oh, that was regular. My own grandfather did that as I told you but it's a bit strange for a woman. They typically didn't crew Somali Dhow crews, as far as I've read, but it's perfectly possible they took her on as a passenger or Arabs and Indians did. Look at the sheer number of Somali women who were working out of ports like Aden and Mukha. They got there somehow so Port-Sudan and onward to the interior is not THAT far-fetched. It's just that it was not really a bustling place around the early 1900s, as far as I know, so you wonder what prompted her to go. Guess it might have had some opp she heard about at the time.
It was a male, his hoyos father was Somali, i.e., maternal grandfather.

But you have to remember things might have changed towards the lucrative in the turn of that century for the region as a whole given the history.

Somalis in the sailing business in the 1900 transition and early to mid-century should become a project for someone. A lot of interesting things would come of that. I had a relative that came to the UK very early as a kid through such means

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It was a male, his hoyos father was Somali, i.e., maternal grandfather.

But you have to remember things might have changed towards the lucrative in the turn of that century for the region as a whole given the history.

Somalis in the sailing business in the 1900 transition and early to mid-century should become a project for someone. A lot of interesting things would come of that. I had a relative that came to the UK very early as a kid through such means

Then it makes sense. And kekekeke, I did fair amount of 1800 to 1920 ish stuff in my Dhow thread. I'll dedicate time to 1900-1960 stuff inshallah. In my searching for the older stuff I definitely encountered a lot of stuff Somalis were up to during the 1900s. Very active during this period as the world developed more.

Trending

Latest posts