A Questionable Afro-Asiatic Flowchart?

What do you guys think of this?
Screenshot_20200806-011453_YouTube.jpg

Just how accurate would you say it is, considering the timeline too?

It has me feeling like a WeWuzzer.

Its not the best chart but not that bad either.

I like the that Somali are the representing the East Cushites, Beja for North Cushitic and
Iraqw for South Cushitic.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
What do you guys think of this?
View attachment 135958
Just how accurate would you say it is, considering the timeline too?

It has me feeling like a WeWuzzer.
yes it's an alright map proto Cushitic is related closely with Egyptian then Berber compared to Semitic however south cushitic is not related to east cushitic at all and it could descend from a completely new lineage from proto Cushitic similar to northern cushitic

Punite? Macrobian? we aren't even sure if these civilizations existed let alone names for language groups? automatic bs dismiss this image.

I call bullshit on Levant as origin of afroasiatic languages.
It's obviously the Nile Valley and the horn that's where the diversity is .

Westerners are biased and ignorant of many factors like nomadic life and the range people travel.

The beja live from Eritrea to just before Suez canal. That's a hop to the Levant.
Afroasiatic speakers .

Some inaccuracies for instance north Arabian is descended from Aramaic not Phoenician, and Punic and Phoenician are the same language.

Meroitic is not fully deciphered yet people making a lot of assumptions about the language, and the Blemmyes -> Beja thing is a theory not proven.

Also South Cushitic languages didn't split off from Somali and southern "Somaloid" languages like Irroole or Rendille that long ago, some people argue South Cushitic should really be part of East Lowland Cushitic languages.

Otherwise it's alright.

James long time bro.
How you been.
I wonder what you think of the azanians , they where clearly cushtic before the Bantu expansion.

Azania I think comes from Bilad al-Ajam which is what Arabs called the east coast of Somalia in ancient times. The word Azania is Roman translation of a Greek travelogue the -ia at the end in Latin means "land". The Greek travelogue from the words it uses is also clearly also a translation probably of a Himyar guide to the Red Sea and Somali coast.

There isn't much information about the inhabitants of the lands mentioned in early sources, which are more interested in the goods and trade conditions.

Also I've been good thanks :) Busy though!

Azania I think comes from Bilad al-Ajam which is what Arabs called the east coast of Somalia in ancient times. The word Azania is Roman translation of a Greek travelogue the -ia at the end in Latin means "land". The Greek travelogue from the words it uses is also clearly also a translation probably of a Himyar guide to the Red Sea and Somali coast.

There isn't much information about the inhabitants of the lands mentioned in early sources, which are more interested in the goods and trade conditions.

Also I've been good thanks :) Busy though!
Was there any description of the inhabitants that would match modern-day Somalis? Or were they a previous people group?

Trending

Latest posts