A Must Watch Somali movie!!!

How Ifrah Ahmed, the girl from Mogadishu, took her FGM story to the world.

8688.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jul/07/ifrah-ahmed-girl-from-mogadishu-fgm

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I'm not dismissing the topic of FGM but it's been overdone. Though I realize this is a form of physical and psychological trauma with pharaonic roots, it's challenging for us diaspora born or raised to relate to the subject. Had this been a decade or two ago it would have greater currency.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Films like these are made more for cadaans to sympathize and in doing so accept more refugees into their countries than to be informative for Somalis
:hillarybiz:

VixR

Veritas
Its a matriarchal problem, must men don't want mangled vaginas.
Yes, they do. Ask any mother who wants it done why it’s so, and it’s always the same answer: for marriage...to men. Stop denying it’s a full circle problem in the culture.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
upload_2019-7-14_22-10-54.png

So in reality this is just a rape survival story. Right, got it.

“I don’t want people to see me as a victim. I want people to see me empowering other women. I want to show people that whatever Somali women have been through, we can be strong and overcome it.”

Suuuure. Suuuuure, abaayo.

I find it really interesting how there's so many women out there who've been circumcised and have zero of this "trauma." I mean, all of our mothers have undergone it and they would have been the same person regardless if they hadn't. If female circumcision is done in a clean manner with sanitized instruments, then it should be as safe as male circumcision. Ms. Ahmed has been brutally raped and equates that horror to female circumcision. Very dishonest of her.

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
View attachment 75478

So in reality this is just a rape survival story. Right, got it.

“I don’t want people to see me as a victim. I want people to see me empowering other women. I want to show people that whatever Somali women have been through, we can be strong and overcome it.”

Suuuure. Suuuuure, abaayo.

I find it really interesting how there's so many women out there who've been circumcised and have zero of this "trauma." I mean, all of our mothers have undergone it and they would have been the same person regardless if they hadn't. If female circumcision is done in a clean manner with sanitized instruments, then it should be as safe as male circumcision. Ms. Ahmed has been brutally raped and equates that horror to female circumcision.
This is why Knowles is justified on here. There are fantastically dumb “men” on here. If there wasn’t a Knowles, you’d be running free with your idiocy, like roaming livestock.

Of course, while one blantantly lies that men don’t want it you’re the kind who’d argue for it on religious grounds, as a good thing.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
I have a feeling this will be a feels good movie for cadaans. They'll shed a tear or two and remark about how savage Somalis are. Nothing will change, I really hope that it's not that sorta movie.

Its a matriarchal problem, must men don't want mangled vaginas.

Yes, they do. Ask any mother who wants it done why it’s so, and it’s always the same answer: for marriage...to men. Stop denying it’s a full circle problem in the culture.
Its is promoted by women it's Hooyos who take their daughters back home for FGM in reality it's a female issue since they spearhead it

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Its is promoted by women it's Hooyos who take their daughters back home for FGM in reality it's a female issue since they spearhead it
Actually they do it because they've been brainwashed by chauvinistic men. This is all Somali men's fault.

The brainwashing is complete and successful and these mothers suffer from Stockholm syndrome thinking that no Somali guy wants to marry a non-fgm girl. They were falsely led to believe that a fgm’ed girl will maintain her chaste better than others who didn’t go through the procedure because of her low sexual drive after stitching her. Why do Somali girls lighten their skin and poison their body? Most Somali men prefer light skinned girls. The mothers do it because men expect them to e done because as it’s a female job, if men didn’t approve of it, then the practice of fgm would’ve disappeared from our culture.

We prefer natural lightskin and it is somaliwomen's fault why fgm exists

@Mehmet

Isn’t it Somali women’s fault for the higher rates of Somali divorces too? I was disgusted with a guy telling a group of us that he divorced his new wife because she made noises (sexually aroused) in bed like a ‘’ and the other guys shook their head in total agreement with him and were dismayed towards her. We should shag our wives like camels soo ma aha Sxb?

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
FGM is something I struggle to understand, why do we put our children thru this barbaric practice? I want to watch this movie so that I can learn through her unfortunate experience. Inshallah we shall eradicate it in Somalia and beyond :)

Muji

VIP
This is why Knowles is justified on here. There are fantastically dumb “men” on here. If there wasn’t a Knowles, you’d be running free with your idiocy, like roaming livestock.

Of course, while one blantantly lies that men don’t want it you’re the kind who’d argue for it on religious grounds, as a good thing.

I don’t really like having discussions which need nuance like FGM with these knuckle draggers.

In terms of FGM, across the Muslim world there are structures used to control the sexuality of women, whilst the men live out a hedonistic lifestyle that rivals Hugh Hefner’s. Whether this is banning women from driving in Saudi, sexually assaulting any woman that leaves the house in Egypt or FGM in Somalia. These acts are all justified because they are seen as a deterrent for women taking control over their own sexualities.

Somalis believe the external vagina makes women sexually active, any woman who still has it over the age of 16 is considered to be unclean and thereby not worthy of getting married to. I’ve heard stories of women who have not undergone FGM being chased and publically teased by children in Somalia. The less this topic becomes a taboo there better the chance of eradicating it is.

@Mehmet

Isn’t it Somali women’s fault for the higher rates of Somali divorces too? I was disgusted with a guy telling a group of us that he divorced his new wife because she made noises (sexually aroused) in bed like a ‘’ and the other guys shook their head in total agreement with him and were dismayed towards her. We should shag our wives like camels soo ma aha Sxb?
What of man divorces his wife because she moans in the bed?
This shit sounds fabricated.. I refuse to believe it.

Trending