A Colonial National Archives Should Be Created

I've been thinking about this for a while, and just realized how important this could actually be. Most of our grandparents were probably born before independence (1960) and under colonial governance, this makes it possible to organize an enterprise with the aim of gathering their primary source accounts on how their life was like on an individual level and gather them all into a collection, like an archive. It would include those living under italian, british, and french occupation. Whether it was only seeing them once or twice or having day to day interactions, it could also be their thoughts on certain matters at the time, like politics. I think it could be really interesting and be used in somali schools for assignments for generations to come. If we would want to do this we'd have to it before they're all gone.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Been thinking about this too. Even our parents' generation, man. My parents have so many interesting stories, experiences and cultural tidbits locked in their heads that I feel like a little piece of history would die with them when they die. I personally have a goal of gathering up as many Somali folktales from old folk as possible and creating a storybook compendium someday and also, I know it sounds a little ambitious, but I'm hoping this will someday inspire future Somalis to create adaptations in the form of live-action film or animation like in Japan and the West. Our own versions of Disney and Ghibli for Somali kids to grow up with.

:banderas:

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Thought about this too. InshaAllah next time I see my pops I will take an official account from him.
If everyone interviews the older generation they have access to and then feeds that info into a central pot.

Now for someone to write the grant to get funding. 👀

Thought about this too. InshaAllah next time I see my pops I will take an official account from him.
If everyone interviews the older generation they have access to and then feeds that info into a central pot.

Now for someone to write the grant to get funding. 👀
If enough of us get behind this goal, im sure we would be able to pull enough money for it to become a reality through means of donations and promoting online, hey we could even create a gofundme. :icon lol:

The first step is to raise awareness

Trending

Latest posts