79% of Somalia's GDP in 2020 was foreign aid and remittances

Psychologist

Changemaker
Damn, we need to stop sending money back home and let the people work for themselves. they need to start taking care of themselves but they got kids in the western who they can rely on so they don't really care about their country. there should be a revolution just like the one that happened in France. the people need to suffer in order for them to start thinking about the future of their country!!!

philippoteaux_lamartine.jpg

At this point, this country is incredibly unstable and unpredictable.
Only Somaliland is kinda stable, anything can happen in the rest of the country honestly.
Also, the government isn't effective and it's full of corruption.

Here is your source.
It's from 2013 so it could be lower right now

According to Somaliland’s National Development Programme, unemployment among youth stands at 75 per cent, which is much higher than the nation’s average of 61.5 per cent in urban areas and 40.7 per cent in rural and nomadic areas. Unofficial estimates show that at least 65-70 per cent of Somaliland’s 3.5 million people are under 30.

You left out the key quote, for a good reason - because it totally debunks the validity of your silly fantasy stat. Also, it was from 2010 not 2013.

The study which was carried out in December 2010 by SONYO, in conjunction with the Dutch Oxfam-Novib, indicated that out of 800 people interviewed, only 25 per cent were employed.

A study conducted by an NGO, with a sample size of 800 people? GTFOH.
:camby:

Som

VIP
You left out the key quote, for a good reason - because it totally debunks the validity of your silly fantasy stat. Also, it was from 2010 not 2013.

A study conducted by an NGO, with a sample size of 800 people? GTFOH.
:camby:
Dude sample doesn't need to be big, it needs to be representative. It's not like stats are unreliable if the sample is small, that's not how stats work

Dude sample doesn't need to be big, it needs to be representative. It's not like stats are unreliable if the sample is small, that's not how stats work
This was a study conducted by a local NGO. They haven't got the first clue about how to get a representative sample. They likely interviewed the first 800 people they could find.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Thegoodshepherd
Can you address this. Is it because aid has skyrocketed which makes domestic revenue look smaller.

Domestic revenue has barely budged, it was at ~3.5% of GDP in 2017 and is today at 5% of GDP. This rise in government revenue as a share of GDP is likely due to the slow growth of the overall economy. Government revenue is slowly rising, but the economy is growing even slower, so it looks like gov revenue is growing quickly.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
This was a study conducted by a local NGO. They haven't got the first clue about how to get a representative sample. They likely interviewed the first 800 people they could find.

Nothing I dislike more than bad faith argument. It clearly says”in conjunction with Oxfam”. You can’t just dismiss reports you don’t like.

:gucciwhat:

Nothing I dislike more than bad faith argument. It clearly says”in conjunction with Oxfam”. You can’t just dismiss reports you don’t like.

:gucciwhat:
Lol, you mean like the bad faith argument where yo are still parading around stats of a report you debunked yourself time and time again...

Shall I remind you of the glorious history:

- A desert dwelling [insert ref to PLer here] with a hijabi man as avatar on Somalispot:

Estimates made by UN and other NGOs based on non-existing on-the-ground data are ACCURATE.

- The same hijabi on other forums:

AJ3715.png

AJ286.png

"this survey is HIGHLY BIASED" :liberaltears:

"Awdal cant have 2x population of Nugaal" :jcoleno:

"No one from Puntland region should accept this result" :mjcry::ileycry:

"This is a mainly satellite based census, conducted by Mogadishu leaning UN agency. Take it with a grain of salt":kendrickcry::tocry:

Hijabi lost his mind after Migiurtinia's true population figures were exposed.

5%.

:mjlol:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

There you have it. Your own views destroying the very report your trying to inject into every SL conversation.

:lolbron: :lolbron: :lolbron:

Last edited:

Som

VIP
So please tell me what is the correct number ? I have stats you have opinions.
I'm not trying to bash SL, you go anywhere from Hargeysa to Xamar and at least half of the population lives off money sent by relatives in the west.

I'm not trying to bash SL, you go anywhere from Hargeysa to Xamar and at least half of the population lives off money sent by relatives in the west.
You don't have stats. You have the results of a very poorly constructed study. I can ask go ask the people in my local maqiixiyad whether they are employed or not. Their answers would not be representative of the employment rate of Somalis in London. That is the essence of the "stat" you are using.

As for the real number, I have no idea. I am not going to throw numbers around that aren't based on sound evidence.

I am not denying that Somaliland's unemployment rate is high. However, I have never seen any actual study/research done that looked to properly quantify it. Because of that I know that pretty much all the numbers thrown around, positive and negative, are really just people pulling numbers out of thin air.

Domestic revenue has barely budged, it was at ~3.5% of GDP in 2017 and is today at 5% of GDP. This rise in government revenue as a share of GDP is likely due to the slow growth of the overall economy. Government revenue is slowly rising, but the economy is growing even slower, so it looks like gov revenue is growing quickly.
So government gdp has increased by 1.5% since 2017 and grew, also considering the global pandemic and reduction of exports it is not so bad and government revenue has considerably increased since 2017.

Trending