23andMe update - version 5.9

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Not that I know of. Only have distant family from Ethiopia. There's been a lot of back and forth between dir dhabe and Djibouti throughout the last century so its no surprise really

Dire Dawa is in the Somali region but some Galla Oromos live there. Its probably 1 maternal descendant.

Dire Dawa is in the Somali region but some Galla Oromos live there. Its probably 1 maternal descendant.

Yeah, its mostly ancient maternal descent. Every ethnicity in the World will have intermarried

with its neighbors. No problem, we still have our native Somali Haplogroup,

E-Y18629-T-BY181210.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Yeah, its mostly ancient maternal descent. Every ethnicity in the World will have intermarried

with its neighbors. No problem, with still have native Somali haplogtoup

Its not ancient if it was a few generations ago. Its just random. On the bright side, @Kingcobra is mostly Somali. With a Somali haplo.

It’s a shame SL/waqooyi regions aren’t included in 23andme

They aren't but maybe they will once they accumulate enough specific information. Many Somalis don't even write down where their grandparents hailed from on 23andme.

23andMe have just released a new algorithm update so if you have tested with them check your account!

The last update randomly added 6% Ethiopian/Eritrean, but it has now disappeared and I'm back to 100% Somali.
My Eritrean and Ethiopian disappeared, my Somali was 95% now it’s 97% and 1.8 southern East African and 0.3 % Sudanese

My Somali went from 82.5% to 74.5% :(, everyone is getting higher percent of somali than before whereas I got lower than before with the update, can someone guide me to why is that ?

Apollo

VIP
lets say a somali gets 0.9% bantu on 23andme, whats the likelihood of that being legit as opposed to noise?

0.9% is kind of too high to be noise.

Noise is 0.1%, 0.2%... maybe 0.3%, max 0.4%, above that I start thinking it is real, especially when it comes to non-Northeast African clusters.

It also differs per company. 23andme has a very low noise rate. While MyHeritage has a high noise rate.

Was that result with the latest update?
yeah, its not my result but another persons
0.9% is kind of too high to be noise.

Noise is 0.1%, 0.2%... maybe 0.3%, max 0.4%, above that I start thinking it is real, especially when it comes to non-Northeast African clusters.

It also differs per company. 23andme has a very low noise rate. While MyHeritage has a high noise rate.
do you believe this individual's ancestor couldve intermixed with a fully bantu person during somewhere in the early 1800's?

Trending

Latest posts