23andMe Results

Paternal Haplogroup E-V32
Maternal Haplogroup L1c3a

To be honest, I don't know which Somali clan I belong to. I know that my family originally came from Somalia, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I conducted extensive research to determine who my ancestors were. I have asked everyone—father, uncle, aunt, and granduncle—about our Abtiris. All of them didn't pass the sixth great-great-grandfather, whose name was Abdulle. I have been able to trace my lineage back to him, but I am still missing pieces of my family's history.

My grandfathers are from Xarardhere, Hobyo, Adado, Dhabad, and Aabdudwaq.
I heard a lot about clans claiming that we were them and lost. My grandfather and uncles lived with Saleebaan Habar Gidir; the other two are Mareexaan and Dir. However, we joined the Madhiban clan in the 1980s, but they said that we were not part of the clan and that we should look for our original clan. After receiving my 23andMe results, I discovered 178 relatives, 43 of whom were from my paternal side. I tried to contact them, and some of them replied and said that they are Mareexaan and Majeerteen. I will take a family tree DNA test to know more.
I am not trying to claim what I am not, but I am just curious to find out who I am. I want to trace my ancestry and understand my heritage so that I can know more about myself and where I come from.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Paternal Haplogroup E-V32
Maternal Haplogroup L1c3a

To be honest, I don't know which Somali clan I belong to. I know that my family originally came from Somalia, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I conducted extensive research to determine who my ancestors were. I have asked everyone—father, uncle, aunt, and granduncle—about our Abtiris. All of them didn't pass the sixth great-great-grandfather, whose name was Abdulle. I have been able to trace my lineage back to him, but I am still missing pieces of my family's history.

My grandfathers are from Xarardhere, Hobyo, Adado, Dhabad, and Aabdudwaq.
I heard a lot about clans claiming that we were them and lost. My grandfather and uncles lived with Saleebaan Habar Gidir; the other two are Mareexaan and Dir. However, we joined the Madhiban clan in the 1980s, but they said that we were not part of the clan and that we should look for our original clan. After receiving my 23andMe results, I discovered 178 relatives, 43 of whom were from my paternal side. I tried to contact them, and some of them replied and said that they are Mareexaan and Majeerteen. I will take a family tree DNA test to know more.
I am not trying to claim what I am not, but I am just curious to find out who I am. I want to trace my ancestry and understand my heritage so that I can know more about myself and where I come from.
wait your father doesn't know his clan?

You only have 178 relatives on 23andMe? Strange, I have over 600 :hmm:

Maybe do a full genome test and upload to YFull to see if you match with any of the clans already on there.

Is best to do whole genome sequencing with Nabula 30x it's around 250 dollars , there is no point testing yourself at family tree, you already know your EV32, STR'S can be misleading plus if your relatives haven't taken Y37 marksrs test you won't match with anyone. I would advice you to do whole genome sequencing 30 xwith Nabula and then opload your results on Yfull.

This story makes no sense.

Madhibaan and other Gabooye clans are actual clans who know their abtiris for generations, just like other Somalis. You can't join them like a gang or a social club.
Unless your ancestor was a foundling/orphan, but even then he would have had an adopted family.

Last edited:

Bapo

AJ
This story makes no sense.

Madhibaan and other Gabooye clans are actual clans who know their abtiris for generations, just like other Somalis. You can't join them like a gang or a social club.
Unless your ancestor was a foundling/orphan, but even then he would have had an adopted family.
His ancestor most likely got lost from their family. It is quite common, they don't know their parents or their qabiil so they just get listed as 0.5.

Garaad diinle

 
Your sixth ancestor might have retreated from dollo around 1863 when the bicidyahan, marehan and cumar maxamuud united against a large attack from the makahiil ogaden. This big incident was still remembered up until 1933s.

Garaad diinle

 
How & why did the attack happen?
It was recorded by the colonial powers when they set shop at wal wal in somali galbeed in 1930s. The raids were for acquiring cattle and pasture. I don't have the original source but i have some exerts.

Delle due cabile migiurtine dei Marrehan rer Beidian e degli Omar Mahmud , che li avevano
tenacemente difesi contro ogni tentativo di occupazione e di usurpazione , per ragioni di
pascolo, da parte delle tribù Macail delle genti Ogaden.

Of the two cabile majeerteen of the marehan reer bicidyahan and the Omar Mahmud , who had tenaciously defended them against all attempts of occupation and usurpation , for grazing reasons, by the makahiil tribes of the Ogaden people.

Spesso le prime si unirono in lotta contro i Macail, sempre contro gli ogaden . Una settantina d'anni addietro.

Often the former joined in struggle against the makahiil, always against the Ogaden .
Some 70 years back.

It was recorded by the colonial powers when they set shop at wal wal in somali galbeed in 1930s. The raids were for acquiring cattle and pasture. I don't have the original source but i have some exerts.

Delle due cabile migiurtine dei Marrehan rer Beidian e degli Omar Mahmud , che li avevano
tenacemente difesi contro ogni tentativo di occupazione e di usurpazione , per ragioni di
pascolo, da parte delle tribù Macail delle genti Ogaden.

Of the two cabile majeerteen of the marehan reer bicidyahan and the Omar Mahmud , who had tenaciously defended them against all attempts of occupation and usurpation , for grazing reasons, by the makahiil tribes of the Ogaden people.

Spesso le prime si unirono in lotta contro i Macail, sempre contro gli ogaden . Una settantina d'anni addietro.

Often the former joined in struggle against the makahiil, always against the Ogaden .
Some 70 years back.

Reer Bicidyahan and Cumar Maxamoud defended Marehan against Ogaden raids. What on earth possessed us.

In the ensuing century, the Bicidyahan would expand into the Geladi and Wardheer pasturelands, putting them into direct conflict with a number of tribes. This culminated into open war when their then allies, the Marehan were attacked in Geladi during the late 1870's. The Italian book 'Rassegna italiana politica letteraria' provides a brief synopsis of the event, stating:

"About seventy years ago, a group of Ogadèn pushed back as far as Gorof, in the territory of Galàdi, with the intention of raiding the Marrehan cattle and gathered there for the abundance of pastures; but they were driven back, although the Marrehans suffered severe loses and their leader Gogge Mahmud Nur himself fell.

In revenge for the Merrehans, Rer Bicidyahan and Omàr Mahmud, chased the Ogadén and inflicted on them such a defeat at the wells of Wardheer that the Ugas or head of the Ogadèn Fara Addò also fell - the survivors sheltered in Gorrahèi to not be exterminated.

The following year, the Marrehan and the Majeerteen at the Gherlogubi wells surprised a group of Rer Abdulle who had come to water their cattle; They attacked, killing many, and plundered the whole herd. Other clashes took place in Ghebdè. Dillimbash and Dahadid. There the Ogadèn, still armed only with sidearms, suffered bloody losses by the Majeerteen and Marrehan who for the first time used firearms, obtained by the Sultan Yusuf Ali.

Since then the Majerteen never abandoned the wells of Wardheer and the neighboring ones, and the Ogadèn never tried to return there."

Reer Bicidyahan and Cumar Maxamoud defended Marehan against Ogaden raids. What on earth possessed us.
Marehan was a very powerfull clan. Our down fall came when we lost a port city. Causing us not to import swords and fighting equipment from Arabia. This happend in the late 17tg century.

Attachments

• info1 (1).jpg
    info1 (1).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 64

Psychologist

Changemaker
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Here is what you can do, take the big Y test and talk to the people you match with.

You can't rely on 23andme results, because intermarriage exist, and most somalis who have the same haplorgroup as you so it won’t make your search easy.