2 examples - Afka hooyo & parenting/family dynamics

# 1: The young boy is trying to speak to family back home and is having some trouble. He is being laughed at. A family member then posts this online thinking it is funny when in reality it reflects on the parents not teaching their kids the mother tongue. This will discourage him from speaking.

# 2: Results of giving positive reinforcement, this will make her want to speak and improve Somali though she is already in the top 10% of diaspora kids.

# 1: The young boy is trying to speak to family back home and is having some trouble. He is being laughed at. A family member then posts this online thinking it is funny when in reality it reflects on the parents not teaching their kids the mother tongue. This will discourage him from speaking.

# 2: Results of giving positive reinforcement, this will make her want to speak and improve Somali though she is already in the top 10% of diaspora kids.

Well said. Damn our people are harsh just like the place they endured. #notall

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
Somali parents can't teach grammar even if their lives depends on it.

I had to learn that shit on my own after turning 20

I’m more focused on the light skin brother who thought it was okay to pour Greek yoghurt into the ambabur as if it’s supposed to be a replacement for tea. Where’s reer borama/Djibouti is that what we are doing now.

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
The second girls accent is so beautiful I wish I could get rid of my accent lol. She sounds good.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
I’m more focused on the light skin brother who thought it was okay to pour Greek yoghurt into the ambabur as if it’s supposed to be a replacement for tea. Where’s reer borama/Djibouti is that what we are doing now.
What the fakk :mjlaugh:

Nafiso Qalanjo

𝖂𝖊'𝖗𝖊 𝖌𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖜𝖆𝖗 𝖇𝖆𝖇𝖞!
Diaspora kids get too many shit thrown at them for not knowing their af hooyo. My parents, and still this day talk to me in half Somali half English. It wasn't till I went to dhaqan celis that I had to learn Somali the hard way. :francis:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Diaspora kids get too many shit thrown at them for not knowing their af hooyo. My parents, and still this day talk to me in half Somali half English. It wasn't till I went to dhaqan celis that I had to learn Somali the hard way. :francis:
thats not the only problem ive noticed My parents and even my friends own parents they will say a somali word and say do you know this word and when you say No they will start saying how can you not understand this word instead of explaining it they will mock you

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
thats not the only problem ive noticed My parents and even my friends own parents they will say a somali word and say do you know this word and when you say No they will start saying how can you not understand this word instead of explaining it they will mock you
Somali parents will quiz you on words you never heard until that very moment

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Good for the mom in the second video!
If your child does not know somali, it reflects bad on you as a parent! PERIODT.
whats ironic is alot somali parents will instead blame the child for not speaking somali than if the kid decide to speak somali they will be mocked for how bad they're somali is

This matter is not so simple, its complex.

A diaspora somali not speaking somali is not his/her fault or the parents. Our parents where uneducated on the importance of teaching somali to us. They thought that just by listening and speaking somali to us at home would suffice. This would have worked at Somalia but here in the west you have to be more invested in teaching somali to your kids. Our parents did not know this, they were uneducated on this subject.

Some somalis born in the diaspora speak good somali especially the scandinavians. As a person from here ( Finland ) only reason we speak good somali is because the scandinavian languages are extremely hard to learn in comparison to english. It took our parents years to learn the languages. Thus they would speak to us in somali and DEMAND that we speak somali back because they did not know the language that good

This matter is not so simple, its complex.

A diaspora somali not speaking somali is not his/her fault or the parents. Our parents where uneducated on the importance of teaching somali to us. They thought that just by listening and speaking somali to us at home would suffice. This would have worked at Somalia but here in the west you have to be more invested in teaching somali to your kids. Our parents did not know this, they were uneducated on this subject.

Once your child is reaching the age 6,7,8 and cannot string together a sentence would you not then change your course of action? It is common sense but the reality is many don't care. If that is the case then don't later mock a child due to the result of your own inadequacy.

SomaliSteel

No dictator can imprison a population forever.
Problem is parents trying to be your friend speaking english. My parents never spoke english to me to this day, even though they can. I am good at the mother tongue as a result.

Trending

Latest posts