1931 Bronze Bust of Somali Man

This was for 'The Races of Mankind' exhibit at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. Funny thing is this was during the height of the Hamitic hypothesis that stupidly classified us as white, trash backstory but beautiful statue.

1662666588188.png

1662667040218.png

The subject for the sculpture

1662666732891.png

1662666849487.png

What is he wearing?

World

VIP

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Look at that jawline, we have regressed tremendously.

Somalis and nilotes had the best jaw development historically, nowadays us somalis have weak jawlines due to eating too much carbs

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Its not about carbs its soft diets and less breastfeeding.

Agreed about breastfeeding. People need to return to the days of 2 years of breastfeeding at least but soft foods is a dubious one for me. Somali pastoralists' diet was mainly dairy with meat being perhaps eaten a few times a week and often cooked well-done if it was had very frequently so relatively soft. The chewiest things they'd have eaten with my muqmad/oodkac and camel liver which I admit give the jaw a real workout but they wouldn't be eating that stuff every single day. I think what's more key is nutrient availability. People have switched vitamin rich, SFA and MUFA rich animal foods like butter, tallow and ghee for pretty empty ass seed oils with at best some fortified in artificial supplements so the basic building blocks of a good muscle and bone structure are not as present.

Then you need only tack on a lack of breastfeeding + bad eating habits and modern people make sense. On that last point, my mother is someone blessed with a good, angular jawline despite not eating the absolute best growing up (sufficient meat and dairy but plenty of unnecessary starches, plant oils and greens) and one thing I noticed is that she always takes time with even the softest of foods. Chewing and chewing for ages. Most people nowadays, soft or hard, have a habit of practically trying to gulp everything they eat. Bad combination overall. You want to really sit with your food. Really feel those masseters work out until they've gotten so tough that the same food is no longer a workout to sit with.

Agreed about breastfeeding. People need to return to the days of 2 years of breastfeeding at least but soft foods is a dubious one for me. Somali pastoralists' diet was mainly dairy with meat being perhaps eaten a few times a week and often cooked well-done if it was had very frequently so relatively soft. The chewiest things they'd have eaten with my muqmad/oodkac and camel liver which I admit give the jaw a real workout but they wouldn't be eating that stuff every single day. I think what's more key is nutrient availability. People have switched vitamin rich, SFA and MUFA rich animal foods like butter, tallow and ghee for pretty empty ass seed oils with at best some fortified in artificial supplements so the basic building blocks of a good muscle and bone structure are not as present.
Chewing tough food places mechanical stress on your jaws which causes your body to respond to said stress by increasing bone deposition in that area and other parts of your skull (cheekbones, possiblly brow ridge etc...), your body does this by increasing IGF 1 and lowering sclerostin where ever greater bone mass is needed. I agree with your points on diet but I believe protein consumption is also extremely important as its needed for proper IGF 1 levels and proper bone remodelling which is vital in development.
Read this walaal

"Here, we established a novel mouse model of increased mastication in which mice were fed with a hard diet (HD) to elicit greater masticatory force. A novel in silico computer simulation indicated that the masticatory load onto the jawbone leads to the typical bone profle seen in the individuals with strong masticatory force, which was confrmed by in vivo micro-computed tomography (micro-CT) analyses. Mechanistically, increased mastication induced Insulin–like growth factor (IGF)-1 and suppressed sclerostin in osteocytes. IGF-1 enhanced osteoblastogenesis of the cells derived from tendon. Together, these fndings indicate that the osteocytes balance the cytokine expression upon the mechanical loading of increased mastication, in order to enhance bone formation. This bone formation leads to morphological change in the jawbone, so that the bone adapts to the mechanical environment to which it is exposed......

"The jawbone is exposed to mechanical loading by mastication, occlusion and orthodontic forces. Because osteocytes are considered to act as a mechanosensor in bone, it has been speculated that these cells are active in jawbone remodeling. This study has underscored the signifcance of osteocytes by demonstrating that they upregulate the expression of IGF-1, which enhances bone formation in the enthesis so as to alleviate the disparity of the stress in the mandibular bone during mastication"

The idea that tougher diets leads to greater bone mass and a more robust skull structure is widely accepted within dental anthropology, I'm sure you've read stuff about the craniofacial change from the robust SSA-like Jebel Sahaba/Wadi Halfa types to the more gracile Cushitic type within Northern Sudan(its largely due to admixture but thats besides the point), and how some researchers posited it was due to adopting a softer diet, thats just 1 of a ton of examples.

Somali pastoralists' diet was mainly dairy with meat being perhaps eaten a few times a week and often cooked well-done if it was had very frequently so relatively soft. The chewiest things they'd have eaten with my muqmad/oodkac and camel liver which I admit give the jaw a real workout but they wouldn't be eating that stuff every single day.
The average geeljire had a narrow jaw according to Careltoon Coon doe, so clearly their very soft diet did have an appreciable impact on their skull structure.

"Facially this division between highianders and Somalis is accentuated. The highlanders have minimum frontal means of 104 mm. to 106 mm.; the Somalis of 102 mm. The bizygomatics of the first group fall at 134—136 mm., of the Somalis at 131 mm. The bigonials of the highianders have means of 101—102 mm., of the Somalis, 96 mm. The forehead is in all groups notably wider than the jaw, which reaches a record in narrowness among the Somalis. In face breadths as in vault dimensions the less extreme highland Ethiopians might as well be Nordics as negroids."
and one thing I noticed is that she always takes time with even the softest of foods. Chewing and chewing for ages. Most people nowadays, soft or hard, have a habit of practically trying to gulp everything they eat. Bad combination overall. You want to really sit with your food. Really feel those masseters work out until they've gotten so tough that the same food is no longer a workout to sit with.
Agreed. I've noticed the exact same thing with my parents aswell. Its very telling how our elders raised back home have such better craniofacial forms than us and our Western/first world peers.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The average geeljire had a narrow jaw according to Careltoon Coon doe, so clearly their very soft diet did have an appreciable impact on their skull structure.

"Facially this division between highianders and Somalis is accentuated. The highlanders have minimum frontal means of 104 mm. to 106 mm.; the Somalis of 102 mm. The bizygomatics of the first group fall at 134—136 mm., of the Somalis at 131 mm. The bigonials of the highianders have means of 101—102 mm., of the Somalis, 96 mm. The forehead is in all groups notably wider than the jaw, which reaches a record in narrowness among the Somalis. In face breadths as in vault dimensions the less extreme highland Ethiopians might as well be Nordics as negroids."

They had much wider and more robust faces than current Somalis and also quite straight and clear teeth but yes, pastoralists are not as robust as their paleolithic forefathers. This is documented even on the steppes. The HGs of the Pontic-Caspian Steppe were super robust then you immediately do see, from what I recall, a reduction in robusticity with the pastoralists although not as drastic as with farmers elsewhere. They basically get straight, strong teeth and good profiles but not nearly as dense and robust as HGs but not the tooth decay ridden, narrow as heck disasters you see with Neolithic Farmers, for example.

The idea that tougher diets leads to greater bone mass and a more robust skull structure is widely accepted within dental anthropology, I'm sure you've read stuff about the craniofacial change from the robust SSA-like Jebel Sahaba/Wadi Halfa types to the more gracile Cushitic type within Northern Sudan(its largely due to admixture but thats besides the point), and how some researchers posited it was due to adopting a softer diet, thats just 1 of a ton of examples.

I do agree that tough foods will help and are important, to be honest. Just highlighting the importance of nutrient availability like Weston A. Price noticed. That is indeed why these chaps look more robust and well-formed than 90% of Somalis today, I would argue:

All except one of these guys from the past had a strong jawline:

LORMOdm.png

2Ib2HXs.png

SInifQX.png

jeZwjxr.png

wACYrMr.png

f8G0Lbl.png

Y5pXvQc.png
FZ61sn7.png

Him:
znL3n84.jpg

And he just doesn't look very healthy and has a strong open mouth posture. Probably somewhat malnourished and grew up mouth breathing. Modern Somali men are indeed pretty weak-jawed on average but that probably has more to do with greater gracility being caused by poorer modern nutrition Trading in meat with organs like liver and raw milk products for processed foods. Even most Somali women don't seem quite built the same anymore. You don't see as many 175cm, decent profiled Iman/Waris oids out there anymore as opposed to the shorter, narrow-faced, chubby cheeked look.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
This was for 'The Races of Mankind' exhibit at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. Funny thing is this was during the height of the Hamitic hypothesis that stupidly classified us as white, trash backstory but beautiful statue.

View attachment 236977
View attachment 236980

The subject for the sculpture

View attachment 236978
View attachment 236979

What is he wearing?
Leopards is near extinct or extinct because of the fur trade, much of it went to Arabia. National animal has gone extinct during nation's existence. Shame.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
@Shimbiris @tariq moses

Is there anything you can do to improve your jawline when you are adult, I used to breath through my mouth when exercising, stopped that years and fixed my tongue position. Is there anything else, Im not trying to look like a movie star, just a notch better.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Shimbiris @tariq moses

Is there anything you can do to improve your jawline when you are adult, I used to breath through my mouth when exercising, stopped that years and fixed my tongue position. Is there anything else, Im not trying to look like a movie star, just a notch better.

Go to a "face-focused" Orthodontist like Dr. William Hang:

Email his practice. They're very nice and helpful and will likely find someone whose been to his seminars in your region and recommend them:

We'll never truly be what we could have been but they'll likely do what they can to widen your airways, strengthen and balance out your profile and expand whatever can be expanded. Other than that just chew your food well, eat chewier food, maybe invest in mouth-taping and of course eat nutrient dense animal foods and you should be good. Tariq will disagree with me but I'd lay off anything with fructose in it that is otherwise nutritionally empty like fruit or honey too.

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Go to a "face-focused" Orthodontist like Dr. William Hang:

Email his practice. They're very nice and helpful and will likely find someone whose been to his seminars in your region and recommend them:

We'll never truly be what we could have been but they'll likely do what they can to widen your airways, strengthen and balance out your profile and expand whatever can be expanded. Other than that just chew your food well, eat chewier food, maybe invest in mouth-taping and of course eat nutrient dense animal foods and you should be good. Tariq will disagree with me but I'd lay off anything with fructose in it that is otherwise nutritionally empty like fruit or honey too.
When do growth plates for jawlines close? I'm only 18 so do I have a chance of making any significant change

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Easier said then done, at the moment its download is buffering, might take few more years to see it presentable:meleshame:

I got tired of waiting for mine to fully set-in and just started applying Minoxidil (liquid solution regaine) with the occasional derm-roll. It works. I'm infrequent as f*ck and only do it once a day but in a patchy application schedule of now about a month I'm already developing cheek hairs and sideburns I never had before:

@Periplus A lot of Somalis are late bloomers with facial hair. I could barely grow anything when I was like 22-23 and now at 26 going on 27 I have a patchy neck-beard you can see is still developing, a fully developed and thick goatee, a half decent moustache and a soul-patch and I recently noticed the moustache and goatee are adjoining. Still developing the beard in my mid to late 20s. Give it time but if you're still baby faced at 30:

It truly works and there's a whole community you can follow and get advice from while following other dudes' results:

But do be smart and quit if you experience things like heart-palpitations, blood-pressure issues or serious allergic reactions.

When do growth plates for jawlines close? I'm only 18 so do I have a chance of making any significant change

Our facial structure remains pretty malleable all the way into our senile years. Obviously somewhat less over-time for sure but still very workable. 18 is extremely young in this respect. Don't worry. I'm sure they'll be able to do plenty if anything needs doing.

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting for mine to fully set-in and just started applying Minoxidil (liquid solution regaine) with the occasional derm-roll. It works. I'm infrequent as f*ck and only do it once a day but in a patchy application schedule of now about a month I'm already developing cheek hairs and sideburns I never had before:

It truly works and there's a whole community you can follow and get advice from while following other dudes' results:

But do be smart and quit if you experience things like heart-palpitations, blood-pressure issues or serious allergic reactions.

Our facial structure remains pretty malleable all the way into our senile years. Obviously somewhat less over-time for sure but still very workable. 18 is extremely young in this respect. Don't worry. I'm sure they'll be able to do plenty if anything needs doing.
@shimbris would you suggest sleeping on your back? I know from the sunnah it’s recommended to sleep on your right side

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@shimbris would you suggest sleeping on your back? I know from the sunnah it’s recommended to sleep on your right side

Never researched this much. What little I looked up lines up with the sunnah in that the natural position seems to be on your side. I have read and watched content on the fact that at least sleeping on your back tends to be particularly bad out of all the positions, particularly for bigger guys with lots of muscle mass. They exacerbate sleep apnea issues when this happens:

But a bigger reason for sleep apnea is improper facial structure and, in the case of athletes, the fact that a lot of these guys put on unnatural amounts of muscle through anabolics. Nevertheless, I've noticed people pointing out that sleeping on your back makes it worse as it makes it easier to adopt poor tongue posture or supposedly even "choke on your own tongue".

Never researched this much. What little I looked up lines up with the sunnah in that the natural position seems to be on your side. I have read and watched content on the fact that at least sleeping on your back tends to be particularly bad out of all the positions, particularly for bigger guys with lots of muscle mass. They exacerbate sleep apnea issues when this happens:

Very intresting I would assume sleeping on your back would be better for “facial symmetry” then your side.