1887 poem in praise of women by a famous Sheikh written in in the Wadaad Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
B1y8Rk8IMAEoAxa.jpg:large

If you wish to know more about Shiekh Uways bin Muhammad al-Baraawe (aun), check out this thread I made a while back.

http://www.somalispot.com/threads/s...araawe-who-revived-islam-in-africa-aun.16705/

Thank you for your threads, you make good informative threads about Somali history and culture. Plz keep up the good work.

There's a lot of poems written in the Somali language using in the Arabic script dating from the 1800's. Additionally, it wasn't solely northern Somalis but also Maay speaking southern Somalis. It's a misconception that the Somalis only recently had a written script. However, mass literacy is fairly recent.

There's a lot of poems written in the Somali language using in the Arabic script dating from the 1800's. Additionally, it wasn't solely northern Somalis but also Maay speaking southern Somalis. It's a misconception that the Somalis only recently had a written script. However, mass literacy is fairly recent.
I wish we could bring back the Arabic script instead of choooboo xooogaa dooba script we have

I wish we could bring back the Arabic script instead of choooboo xooogaa dooba script we have
I only have a few problems with the current script, one of them being the representation of long vowels. It should have been "ô" instead of "oo" and so forth.

I only have a few problems with the current script, one of them being the representation of long vowels. It should have been "ô" instead of "oo" and so forth.
Also the spelling is weird plus we use x c when the Arabic script already has them and a script from a close language is better than one from a different family entirely

The shaykh aun wrote this in Maay @Prince Abubu

I don't like sufism. but AUN

Correct term is Tasawwuf, which is key for a Muslim. Plus Ihsan. So called sufis for the most part of today aren't following the same path of Gilani r.a or Al ghazali r.a. Ibn Taymiyyah r.a was also a 'sufi'. Al ghazali r.a was shafi'i in fiqh, while Gilani r.a and Ibn taymiyyah r.a were both hanbali. Sufi is not a sect. All classical ulema advocated the importance of inner purification.

Status
Not open for further replies.