1884 How Berbera went from Ottoman Egyptian to British

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
I've got documentation and I shared before it's in the history section on how Berbera went from Ottoman Egyptian to British

There were many factors:
  • Racism from the Egyptians
  • Somalis were prevented from trading with the Brits in Aden
  • Slavery
The somalus met in Bulahar with a British Agent to get begin operations to get rid of the ottomans.

The Brits had one request - stop the slave trade in Zeila

Teflon

Inactive
VIP
I've got documentation and I shared before it's in the history section on how Berbera went from Ottoman Egyptian to British

There were many factors:
  • Slavery
The somalus met in Bulahar with a British Agent to get begin operations to get rid of the ottomans.

Whats the thread

There were many factors:
  • Slavery

This is not true. Brits claimed authority over the region after taking control of Egypt & Sudan from the Ottomans. The Somalis accepted British presence to counter against the expanding Abyssinian Empire which conquered Harar not long after. Also the Egyptians never had direct rule over Berbera but had appointed Somalis as governors such as Haji Ali Sharmarke

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Somali history on Wikipedia lies so hard LMFAO barely anyone knows all Isaaq/Dir and Harar were under the Ottomans ever since the collapse of the adal Sultanate. Why do you think there is no "Isaaq Sultanate" page? Because Isaaq Sultanate was a bracket of the Ottomans. :cryinglaughsmiley:

Are there descendants of the Zeila slave trade still in Somaliland? Just wondering.

According to several sources, including Casannelli and Besteman, the slaves sold at Zeila came through Ethiopia and were from the Horn. Except for a few who were walked through on land after the British closed the sea route, they were NOT Bantu.

Trending

Latest posts