Would it be ok to take retribution on an abusive stepfather to your mom after years of not seeing him?

My stepfather used to beat up my mother (and me) in my youth. Mother kicked him out when I was 15 and got a restraining order. I’m now 27 and have just spotted him twice in an area in a close town to my home. The first time I spotted him, I was in disbelief it was him as he looked semi homeless and looked different. The 2nd time, I was accurate in my suspicion. It was definitely him and still looking rough, I had urge to go over and attack him but I was on my way to catch my late departing train. I have had this in my mind the last week to go to the same strip and see if he’s there. I can’t move on from this until he gets some payback for what he did to my mother, but a small part of me thinks it’s useless as he appears this bum is living rough. To add some context, he was never religious, dude used to go the maqayad always, eat khat, and when he came back home just was abusive to all of us in particular my mom. He has two kids (my ‘half’ brothers but I consider them full) who are now 17 and 20.

I
I hope you and your mother have recovered from the abuse ❤️
What he did to me was regular beats, to which I don’t mind looking back, the worst he ever did was kick me in the mouth when I was in 7th grade. I’m more furious about what my mother went through, emotional abuse verbal abuse almost every day. He didn’t physically touch her, because one time my uncle, her brother who visits us every 3-4 years had a word with him and he promised my uncle he would improve but as her wife “ he’s entitled to speak how he wants”. I feel sorrry for my mom as the two men in her life have been absolute bums , my own father who left when I was barely 1 year old and left for the US to never communicate or explain why he left. Then my brothers dad , who was probably a worse bum.