Why do people get defensive when given advice?

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴

Crazy how the sheikh baarakallah made it so clear yet people are still bugging out in the comments. He clearly says deodorant is okay but you don’t want to be reeking of perfume or perfume-like deodorant. Even if you are struggling you can accept the advice and strive to achieve it

Gacmeey

It's not the advice itself that puts them on the defensive, it's the snobby, self-righteous way it's conveyed to them.
There was nothing snobby and it certainly isn’t self-righteous since he is correct and his comments are founded on truth. I can understand that there have been other speakers who have acted that way but it’s not right to just take that and place it on him

There was nothing snobby and it certainly isn’t self-righteous since he is correct and his comments are founded on truth. I can understand that there have been other speakers who have acted that way but it’s not right to just take that and place it on him
I spoke in general terms because I was answering the thread title's question, not addressing this sheikh's situation.

Gacmeey

There is a respectful way of providing advice that honours the dignity of others.
What did he do wrong here tho? In a two hour video about women in the masjid he mentions the ruling of perfume and he is encroaching on the dignity of others? Come on now

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
What did he do wrong here tho? In a two hour video about women in the masjid he mentions the ruling of perfume and he is encroaching on the dignity of others? Come on now
I spoke in general terms. In general terms It's not the message but the delivery and ones cadence that matters when giving advice. Not the sheikh specifically.

i was praying taraweh snd there was this south asian fellow beside me who would put his elbows on the ground during sujud. i said salam and politely asked him if i could tell him something he said ofc. i told him it’s sunnah to keep your elbows away from the ground while making sujud as nicely as possible and he had this angry look on his face :duck: