Who inhabited Jubaland first?

Was it Somalis? Oromo? Bantu? I read the Oromo used to inhabit there until Somalis pushed them out as part of our expansion during the 18th and 19th century.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The east bank of the Juba was inhabited by the Rahanweyn, while the west bank of the river was inhabited by the Oromo. Borana Oromo in the area around Gedo, Mandera and Wajir. While the area south of that in Garissa, Middle and Lower Juba was inhabited by the Warra Daya Oromo.

Keep in mind that the area was lightly inhabited. No more than 100k people in all of Jubaland.

Below is the best map of the situation in the horn in 1848.

1848ac.jpg

Garaad diinle

 
It was inhabited by number of somali clans such as garre ajuraan tunni dabbare irole jiddu but they've also inhabited nfd specially wajir where madinle somalis dug numerous deep wells. The ruins of walled stone towns in af-madow deshka wamo bur gao bajuun islands and in a place close to the juba river were all built by garre and ajuraan.

In the 16th-17th century wardey come from mege in boran territory and attacked wajir driving garre down south to ceel waaq. Wardey continued their attack downward and garre were moved further south and eventually they were either dispersed in kenya, absorbed by wardey oromos or moved to the coast and united with bajuun or becaming bajuuns. Remnants of somalis can be found all over kenya for example sakuye gabra specially gabra migo were garre remnants. Rendilles were also one of the somali remnants who went south west from wajir when wardey attacked wajir. You can also find somalis who became swahilis too.

Somalis, strictly. Then, Boran groups expanded and absorbed specific clans within the Somaloids, such as Garre, Gabra, and Sakuye -- these are people who know themselves to be Somali clan-wise but are acculturated into the ethnic Oromo umbrella due to medieval expansion of the southern Oromo. This happened around the 15th and 16th century. Before that, the Oromos did not live in those regions. The Oromo expansion happened both northwards and southwards simultaneously.

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
It was inhabited by number of somali clans such as garre ajuraan tunni dabbare irole jiddu but they've also inhabited nfd specially wajir where madinle somalis dug numerous deep wells. The ruins of walled stone towns in af-madow deshka wamo bur gao bajuun islands and in a place close to the juba river were all built by garre and ajuraan.

In the 16th-17th century wardey come from mege in boran territory and attacked wajir driving garre down south to ceel waaq. Wardey continued their attack downward and garre were moved further south and eventually they were either dispersed in kenya, absorbed by wardey oromos or moved to the coast and united with bajuun or becaming bajuuns. Remnants of somalis can be found all over kenya for example sakuye gabra specially gabra migo were garre remnants. Rendilles were also one of the somali remnants who went south west from wajir when wardey attacked wajir. You can also find somalis who became swahilis too.
u right on alot of thing but i don't think rendile are somali origin

Somalis, strictly. Then, Boran groups expanded and absorbed specific clans within the Somaloids, such as Garre, Gabra, and Sakuye -- these are people who know themselves to be Somali clan-wise but are acculturated into the ethnic Oromo umbrella due to medieval expansion of the southern Oromo. This happened around the 15th and 16th century. Before that, the Oromos did not live in those regions. The Oromo expansion happened both northwards and southwards simultaneously.
I also mean the entire NFD and Northern Kenya region as well. Not only Jubaland.

Garaad diinle

 
u right on alot of thing but i don't think rendile are somali origin
Rendille are a confederacy made out of a number of somaloid and somali clans that adapted nilotic culture. Some somali clans found among the rendille are odolla of garre origin and there is another clan said to be of tunni origin.

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
Eastern banks of the Jubba river were and still are inhabited by Digil and Mirifle. However on the western Jubba river banks, were various different somali clans from Garre, Daarood, degoodiya etc. Oromos also inhabited it at a point in history.

The Oromos in the East used to call all Somalis Jiido. Jiido are probably the first Somali like groups they fought onto the Somali borders. Nonetheless, we need to find the strain of coffee Oromos drank sometime around 16th century to spark their conquests/mass migrations. If Dir hadn’t thwarted in the North West, who knows how many clans would be speaking Oromo today.

The expansion of the Borana was extremely savage. I read a text by a researcher that said the Borana would castrate and take the genitals of the Somalis in the region as a trophy.
1704182459706.png

1704182466087.png

*PRS stands for Proto Rendille-Somali, what it means is Somaloid, i.e., an umbrella term for the broader Soomaali.

1704182608893.png

1704195449761.png

This is an example of how one clan can exist in separate ethnic groups:
1704183352257.png

Here is a reduced yet complex chart showing the relationship between these various clans and Somaloid ethnic groups (to this day, I struggle to understand the different pathways. The guy made it like a highway junction construction schematics, lol):View attachment 1704183515174.png

Moving on to another interesting topic, I read through the research of some German anthropologists and found out that a clan within Grabra, who we know are Somalis that got acculturated by Oromos, have a clan called Barawa:

1704197929108.png

1704197991105.png

@Reformed J @Garaad diinle @Emir of Zayla @Cartan Boos

That Somali lineage has something to do with the coastal city of Barawa. But one thing is clear, the name of the city is Somali based on this evidence. That's undeniable now.

To further substantiate this, the coastal mixed people got a clan named "Gabro":
1704198273032.png

Looking at these "coincidences," it's easy to make the leap and say that the Somali Gabra sub-lineage people were indigenous to Barawa. It's undoubtedly the biggest contender if we want to infer the oldest inhabitants and the name is nested in Somaloid, which eliminates any notions of foreign colony first-mover establishment by Arabs, Persians, Swahili, etc.

To further substantiate this, the coastal mixed people got a clan named "Gabro":
View attachment 309605

Looking at these "coincidences," it's easy to make the leap and say that the Somali Gabra sub-lineage people were indigenous to Barawa. It's undoubtedly the biggest contender if we want to infer the oldest inhabitants and the name is nested in Somaloid, which eliminates any notions of foreign colony first-mover establishment by Arabs, Persians, Swahili, etc.
Gabro is chimini name of Al Jabri , a Banu Aws clan. They're descendants of Jaabir bin Jubayr Al Awsi, nothing to do with Gabra people.
IMG-20231228-WA0004.jpg

Watch from 20:00 in this video also.

Eastern banks of the Jubba river were and still are inhabited by Digil and Mirifle. However on the western Jubba river banks, were various different somali clans from Garre, Daarood, degoodiya etc. Oromos also inhabited it at a point in history.
Also Boon inhabited gosha region and riverine areas north of it prior to the bantus forming communities there

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
The expansion of the Borana was extremely savage. I read a text by a researcher that said the Borana would castrate and take the genitals of the Somalis in the region as a trophy.
View attachment 309546
View attachment 309547

*PRS stands for Proto Rendille-Somali, what it means is Somaloid, i.e., an umbrella term for the broader Soomaali.

View attachment 309548

View attachment 309594

View attachment 309549

Here is a reduced yet complex chart showing the relationship between these various clans and Somaloid ethnic groups (to this day, I struggle to understand the different pathways. The guy made it like a highway junction construction schematics, lol):View attachment 309552

Moving on to another interesting topic, I read through the research of some German anthropologists and found out that a clan within Grabra, who we know are Somalis that got acculturated by Oromos, have a clan called Barawa:

View attachment 309602
View attachment 309604

That Somali lineage has something to do with the coastal city of Barawa. But one thing is clear, the name of the city is Somali based on this evidence. That's undeniable now.

View attachment 309605

It wasn't borana practice at all, it was done on then first by Somalis then they copied, it ended brutal for the borana tho

View attachment 309546
View attachment 309547

View attachment 309548

View attachment 309594

View attachment 309549

Here is a reduced yet complex chart showing the relationship between these various clans and Somaloid ethnic groups (to this day, I struggle to understand the different pathways. The guy made it like a highway junction construction schematics, lol):View attachment 309552

View attachment 309602
View attachment 309604

View attachment 309605

This is interesting read, specially the part about the castration. The Arsi(Caruusa) oromo who are eastern oromo also did this until recently, in the last 100 years. They did it to my grand uncle, my dad's adeer. if the oromo expanded to the north 100s of years ago, this means they kept this savage practice for that long. And the Arsi are supposed to be the more "civilized" of these barbarians.

Trending