What does it sound like to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that as well everything is chew new lew :damn:

Funnily enough Tigrinya sounds completely different to me, how they're related I still don't get.
Chew new means 'it is salt', I am sure the safety video did not say that:pachah1:.
And they are very close apart from some sounds Amharic didn't retain.

That must be their favourite suffix. That and rolling r's
'näw' mean's he is/it is that's probably why you hear it a lot. I always feel like I hear the word 'merka' constantly when Somali's speak, and I still don't know what it means so enlighten me:browtf:.....

'näw' mean's he is/it is that's probably why you hear it a lot. I always feel like I hear the word 'merka' constantly when Somali's speak, and I still don't know what it means so enlighten me:browtf:.....
Marka is a common connector word used before you are about to add information or continue an idea. The closest english equivalent would be, 'as a result' or 'consequently'

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Chew new means 'it is salt', I am sure the safety video did not say that:pachah1:.
And they are very close apart from some sounds Amharic didn't retain.

Marka- because.

Chew new :chrisfreshhah: I just put random sounds that I've heard together, I didn't realise it meant something.

To me Tigrinya sound the most similar to Hebrew but you're bilingual so I'll take your word for it.

Marka- because.

Chew new :chrisfreshhah: I just put random sounds that I've heard together, I didn't realise it meant something.

To me Tigrinya sound the most similar to Hebrew but you're bilingual so I'll take your word for it.
Lol:icon lol:
When you speak a language it doesn't really sound like anything to you:icon lol:, and it depends on what people speak too. Amharic and Tigrinya are easy to tell apart when spoken if you know the sounds one doesn't have and the other does.
I've never been told it sounds like Hebrew though so that's new

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
White people say it sounds like arabic and somalis say it doesnt?
Why is this the case?
Probably because all white people need to hear is the hard "kh" or "x" sound to claim something sounds like Arabic. It's the "tastes like chicken" of the language world :icon lol:

Probably because all white people need to hear is the hard "kh" or "x" sound to claim something sounds like Arabic. It's the "tastes like chicken" of the language world :icon lol:
But there is none of these in amharic but they still say, i think its the deepness that amharic sometimes is spoken

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
But there is none of these in amharic but they still say, i think its the deepness that amharic sometimes is spoken
No idea.
I actually think even Somali as a language sounds more similar to Arabic than Amharic does, even excluding loanwords. Strange how a language in the same language family as Arabic can sound so different from it.

No idea.
I actually think even Somali as a language sounds more similar to Arabic than Amharic does, even excluding loanwords. Strange how a language in the same language family as Arabic can sound so different from it.
I think when spoken they both sound similar but somali more because of some similar sounds

No idea.

Most the Semitic languages do not sound alike. It doesn't take a genius for example to distinguish Hebrew from Arabic:icon lol:. Somali has some shared sounds with Arabic that Amharic doesn't but in terms of vocabulary, grammar etc. it definitely isn't as close.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Most the Semitic languages do not sound alike. It doesn't take a genius for example to distinguish Hebrew from Arabic:icon lol:. Somali has some shared sounds with Arabic that Amharic doesn't but in terms of vocabulary, grammar etc. it definitely isn't as close.
I wonder if those shared sounds are elements from Proto-Afroasiatic that were left over in both languages or they were obtained through contact with other languages :cosbyhmm:
Also does Amharic have the hard "c" sound?

I wonder if those shared sounds are elements from Proto-Afroasiatic that were left over in both languages or they were obtained through contact with other languages :cosbyhmm:
Also does Amharic have the hard "c" sound?
Could be both, I think someone said 'kh' was borrowed of Arabic though in Somali.

What's the hard c sound?

Oh right, "c" in the Somali alphabet is "ayn" in Arabic. That guttural throat sound.

Oh no, that's just pronounced as Alif in Amharic, Gurage etc. and as Ayn in Ge'ez, Tigrigna and Tigre. It's still called Ayn though, but with their own pronunciation. The letter also looks like one ዐ:icon lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts