What are the chances of there being a camel cult in ancient Somali history?

This might be a stretch but with how central camels have been to Somali life, has there ever been some mysticism assigned to camels? Most obvious example is with Hindus and cow veneration, cats and ancient Egypt.
The Las Geel paintings being the oldest found artwork in the Somali peninsula also adds to the 'evidence' of camel veneration. It might've just been easy to draw, but my initial question still stands
1709003545179.png

I saw a photo of a camel monument in the K5 region and it reminded me of Moses and the golden calf.
1709004218413.png

Pastoralism automatically emphasizes certain animals when those faunas are their main base of sustenance and wealth. Referring to that natural process as religious reverence is wrong without evidence of a ritualistic process.

It only becomes a cult when people start to do cult things like making sacrifices of camels and burying people with camel remains. You need evidence of symbolic veneration of animals in religious worship or giving animals esoteric or metaphysical characteristics beyond human capacity and parameterized traditions.

Such material expressions could be an interpretation of some archeology observed in the Nile Valley and Arabia dated to the Neolithic and Paleolithic. That can maybe be considered cult-like.

However, the cattle cult reading is weak. For all we know, the people in question could have believed in something else while sacrificing their prized possessions, the cattle, instead of thinking that cattle were the object of their beliefs for change in hardships. This interpretation is more reasonable. Or the cattle burials in Nubia when some chief died. I have written about it before, describing how people used to do that because they maybe thought those castles would join them. They are seen as mere resources in this equation.

A good example is how Hindus treat the cow. Pastoralists are not like the Hindus.

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Somalis also avoid riding camels except for children women and infirm and using for labor other than moving

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
No cult. Mere appreciation because unlike the dog being the best friend of the humans around Europe the camel symbolised this for us. It was our G Class or BMW X7 it was our 5 Star Restaurant and our companion across the vast savannah

Trending

Latest posts