Was the ICU that bad?

I support secularism but was a grounds up sharia system that bad compared to what we have today?

Before 2006 we had no suicide bomb explosions etc and no Al-shabab.

I think the icu started off as a good organisation but later on as the war began they fractured and veered off course.

Had the ICU taken over all of Somalia (including Puntland) two things might have happened
1. Somaliland may well have been recognised by the world (Ethiopia first) so as to fend off the ICU looking to forcefully reunite both SL and SOM
2. Somalia becomes the Sunni version of theocratic Iran

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
I support secularism but was a grounds up sharia system that bad compared to what we have today?

Before 2006 we had no suicide bomb explosions etc and no Al-shabab.
Those people has moryaan mentality. Kill & Attack. In 2006 ICU attack PL and we crash them.

GemState

36/21
VIP
ICU had it's flaws, but it did do a lot of good in a short space of time like open up the port & airports, improve security, disarm warlords, etc but it was never going to last because the West did not want a State ruled by Sharia Law in the Horn of Africa. Nothing to do with what Somalis wanted.

ICU had it's flaws, but it did do a lot of good in a short space of time like open up the port & airports, improve security, disarm warlords, etc but it was never going to last because the West did not want a State ruled by Sharia Law in the Horn of Africa. Nothing to do with what Somalis wanted.
im sufi but i have to say a council even a wahabbi council running the country based on justice and inter clan harmony i would gladly die for. All i and any other common sense seeking somali wants is not spineless politicians but men! regardless if they are wahabbi i would die for justice! as justice and unity and the ones who bring the odey qabiil and salaadin to heel are what matter.

Sadly i feel ICU would have been plagued by qabilism regardless as they were not as educated as the shias of Iran council. Thats why i believe a council of educated somalis with capital(money) create a sun yat sen like council here in diaspora then go back to the homeland look for fresh young minds educate them then hire out as many of the somali militias(with decent wages and mercenary training you can create a paramilitary) as possible and with the workforce of educated youth you send them across the country and slowly thru council ways you build a strong nation. Im oversimplifying this but it is what im trying to setup now here in minnesota althought its being stagnant.

im sufi but i have to say a council even a whabbi council running the country based on justice and inter clan harmony i would gladly die for. All i and any other common sense seeking somali wants is not spineless politicians but men! regardless if they are wahabbi i would die for justice! as justice and unity and the ones who bring the odey qabiil and salaadin to heel are what matter.

Sadly i feel ICU would have been plagued by qabilism regardless as they were not as educated as the shias of Iran council. Thats why i believe a council of educated somalis with capital(money) create a sun yat sen like council here in diaspora then go back to the homeland look for fresh young minds educate them then hire out as many of the somali militias(with decent wages and mercenary training you can create a paramilitary) as possible and with the workforce of educated youth you send them across the country and slowly thru council ways you build a strong nation. Im oversimplifying this but it is what im trying to setup now here in minnesota althought its being stagnant.
this is also why im doing computer engineering right now(1.5 yrs left U of M) to build up my portfolio and to help in the future diaspora somali committee by helping build a engineering cooperative after gaining some xp in the market and gulf states then we collectivise our welath accumulted and we go from there with our education programs etc..

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
they turned into al shabab in 2006

that pretty much answers your question

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Wasn't bad at all. ICU had a lot of support in Somalia, even singers were coming back just to experience the temporary peace. Read a report somewhere that there was not a single incident of gunfired death in that period which is impressive even for a First World country.

They did have criticisms but it was a grassroot movement that tried to galvanise public support. I remember their spokeman Ciise Caddoow inviting Ali Gheedi to Mogadishu to see the new changes but only Sharif Sakiin the then Speaker defected entirely.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

That's why ICU formed, it knew the international community would reject them and therefore this would keep somalia state less which was their intention, so HAWIYE can continue enjoying the loot was the agenda. They were moryans who graduated from warlodism to terrorism, hawiye politics sucks, it always centers around dawlad la'an

Like anything else, it had a decent start, until it became a safe-haven for terrorists and mooriyaans.

They were short-sighted and disorganized. Pretty much like any other Somali government.