War on Somali farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Don't bother with the trolls. Truth is that the two rivers will only irrigate up to 800,000 hectares...

and that's with no evaporation or leaks included in the calculation. Most likely over 50% will end up evaporated.

It has nothing to do with qabil but instead just pure facts when you look into the annual runoff rate of both rivers during all seasons.

Unless you could magically have water appear then blame whoever you like.

To feed it's population itself, Somalia needs over 7-10 million hectares... 20 times our water capacity and 50 times our current production.

Rain ain't gonna do it and neither will politics unfortunately.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@RasCanjero I have learned that we exaggerate the productive potential of our country. The entire Juba river's runoff can be used to perfectly irrigate 6 ton per hectare paddy rice and we still would not be self sufficient in grains! We quickly overshot Somalia's renewable water potential since the civil war. I am starting to think that it may be better to just urbanize and save the water for domestic and industrial use only. The math does not work out.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@Thegoodshepherd

Less than 200k cubic meters per day is required for Xamar's water and wastewater treatment needs so there is plenty left for a bit of farming.

Best use that small amount of water to farm high value crops and atleast kick-start a more efficient export economy. With some extra effort to add some value to the products (processing, packaging etc); you could get 3x the price for it. At this moment for Somalia even crumbs matter.

If I trusted the government I'd suggest they nationalise a big chunk of the land and farm it themselves to make an extra 100 million from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending