The people in borama are so friendly!

I’ve been here a month and a half and initially it was bumpy but after I recovered from my illness it’s been smooth sailing alhamdulilah!

When I came here I initially expected to have a horrible time and just imagined the worst but maybe that’s because I have trust issues from visiting my moms family (they are from Southern Somalia) in Kenya lol, my dads family is super chill and my dad has a pretty relaxing time here on retirement. We talk a bit and then he sometimes takes me to buy food on his way to get khat lol

Anyway, I’ve really enjoyed the land, seeing so many amazing views. As well as the people! They are so nice! I’m surprised they’re not as hot headed, aggressive or pushy as I’m used to. The men are respectful and I’ve left numerous times and took a bagag by myself, and sometimes walk late at night in the dark to buy soda and snacks and I always felt safe! The most they’ll do is up charge you if they think you don’t know the price of things but even then I found surprisingly a lot of them are very truthful about the prices.

This year if your thinking about going to Somalia in 2024, DO IT! Trust me I was Soooo apprehensive about it but this is the best decision I’ve made and I wish I had come in my early 20s or after I graduated high school!

Here are some photos I took so far

1715775478025.jpeg

1715775628731.jpeg

1715775664835.jpeg

Enjoy New Saylac!

It is pretty much the most comfortable city for a diaspora Somali to go to.

Somalis from all over come to enjoy the relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.

Last edited:
I’ve been here a month and a half and initially it was bumpy but after I recovered from my illness it’s been smooth sailing alhamdulilah!

When I came here I initially expected to have a horrible time and just imagined the worst but maybe that’s because I have trust issues from visiting my moms family (they are from Southern Somalia) in Kenya lol, my dads family is super chill and my dad has a pretty relaxing time here on retirement. We talk a bit and then he sometimes takes me to buy food on his way to get khat lol

Anyway, I’ve really enjoyed the land, seeing so many amazing views. As well as the people! They are so nice! I’m surprised they’re not as hot headed, aggressive or pushy as I’m used to. The men are respectful and I’ve left numerous times and took a bagag by myself, and sometimes walk late at night in the dark to buy soda and snacks and I always felt safe! The most they’ll do is up charge you if they think you don’t know the price of things but even then I found surprisingly a lot of them are very truthful about the prices.

This year if your thinking about going to Somalia in 2024, DO IT! Trust me I was Soooo apprehensive about it but this is the best decision I’ve made and I wish I had come in my early 20s or after I graduated high school!

View attachment 328841

View attachment 328842

View attachment 328843
Are you gone go by Masjid al-Qiblatayn?

No unfortunately that’s really far about 6 hours and I’m a girl :(

I really want to go to berbera but I don’t have a car to get there, my dad thinks it’s too far to drive and too dangerous to take a bus
Is there an airport in berbera?

NidarNidar

Punisher

View attachment 328841

View attachment 328842

View attachment 328843
We might be neighbours, I remember that tree.:mybusiness:

How is the Internet in Somaliland or Somalia in general? Is it the same speed as it's in the west or is it different?
Pretty good, we have the slowest internet package and it’s still pretty good. It’s a little slow when too many people use but even then it’s not too bad. Wayyy better than Kenya or Ethiopia internet and cheaper too

Trending

Latest posts