The Importance of looking at the Intentions of one's actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends,

I recently had a discussion with my friends of what differentiates similar crimes in our judicial system. Our case point was how a judge would handle these two cases of where it both had the same conclusion; someone had died.

Our first case was an actual murder for example. We thought of something that would probably happen, someone would either shoot or kill a person, the victim would die. Our second case was a car accident. Bad weather, black icy roads on the highway, and an accident happens. Someone dies, and the driver is a survivor. However, would both cases be considered as murder? What's the difference between these two cases?

Now I'm sure you probably figured out the difference between these two cases faster than you can name your past family lineage in correct order. In the first case, the killer obviously had the intention to harm and kill the person, which is why the case was considered a murder. However in our second case, the driver had no intention in killing the other driver, and due to unfortunate circumstances, we have a deceased victim. But we obviously don't consider him a murderer, even though he could be linked to it. Why is that? What did we look for in these cases?

The Intention.

That's right. This is how important it is to look at one's intention, however in this example, although an extreme example of course. Intentions are what differentiates all our choices and actions from being malicious or honest with no ill-intent.

So if we're able to differentiate extreme actions like these without hesitation, then why can't we transfer this thought process through our daily lives and with the people we interact with?

If you're Muslim, then this should probably remind you of the so many ayats and hadiths you've read or learned over the years that tackle the concept of niyat, one of the famous hadiths being:

“Verily, all actions are but driven by intention and for everyone is what he intended.” [Bukhari and Muslim]
And this common quote by Hamdun al-Qassar (R.A) who said:
“If a friend among your friends errs, make seventy excuses for them. If your hearts are unable to do this, then know that the shortcoming is in your own selves.” [Imam Bayhaqi, Shu`ab al-Iman, 7.522]

I also understand that some of you may not be Muslim, or you may not even be religious at all. That's cool! No worries, that doesn't mean that all this isn't applicable to you. Think of it this way:

You've got a loved one or a friend you consider important to you. Through some means, you've heard or witnessed that this person may have wronged you. How fast do you think you'll be to jump to conclusions and retaliate without figuring why this person may have done that? How much energy would you save figuring out the reason why a person may have done that thing to you, and finding the best solution from that point forward with your new stable baseline of their intentions you have with you?

Do you see just how much energy and time you saved from doing this? All the unneeded conflict is easily avoided.

Think of your past conflicts you've encountered. I'd even go as far to ask you to think of your various online conflicts you've had and ask yourself this: Did you look at the other person intentions? Did a person have a conflict with you from a negative act you may have done unknowingly? How much time, effort and energy would you have saved if you or the other person looked at your or his/her intentions without first reacting to the act itself? How many pages and pages of online texts about qabils, sexism, racism and overall negativity would you have avoided?

I hope I've got my point across somehow, but its an interesting concept to think of.

If in anyway you feel offended by this thread, or feel like I may have done something wrong here, please do me a huge favor,

And look at what my intentions were!!

S

Shamis

You made me think of a friend that I was really unfair to. I always wanted to know why I didn't feel right about the situation and now I do. Thank you.

:dwill:

We've got some characters on this website.

You have a beautiful soul @Carré :kendrickcry:
I agree, I love reading @Carré 's posts.
Thank you guys!!!

You made me think of a friend that I was really unfair to. I always wanted to know why I didn't feel right about the situation and now I do. Thank you.
I didn't think my post would affect someone like this. I'm glad its done good to someone, you're welcome!!

Thinking back like that is a lot different than thinking about things in the moment. You're more structurally unattached to your past than you are to something happening to you right now, and its much easier for you to think things through without any influences. Want to perhaps shoot a kind message to that friend?

S

Shamis

I will definitely think about it but someone reached out to me before and I thought she had a cheek - similar situation.

S

Shamis

Thank you, you're right walaal. The dust has settled and its up to them whether or not they wish to be my friends but I'll give them both a ring and drop my selfish pride.

That was an interesting read! Thanks for taking the time to write this, @Carré. :qri8gs7:

Instead of arguing, e-fighting and constantly going back forth as to why the mods did and/or didn't do this or that all day long, we should be exchanging such interesting ideas and taking part in such thought-provoking threads. I am sick and tired of all the nonsense a lot of members keep spewing all over the place lately.

That was an interesting read! Thanks for taking the time to write this, @Carré. :qri8gs7:

Instead of arguing, e-fighting and constantly going back forth as to why the mods did and/or didn't do this or that all day long, we should be exchanging such interesting ideas and taking part in such thought-provoking threads. I am sick and tired of all the nonsense a lot of members keep spewing all over the place lately.

Thank you!!

I'm sure as time goes by, maybe, just maybe, they'll figure out that it takes too much energy and time to argue and fight over stuff that will yield nothing beneficial to them apart from the 5 mins feeling of "I won an online argument!"

As I see it, long term gratification is much more better than short term gratification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending