The age of our mother Aisha (ra) when the prophet (saw) married her

hanif#

Somalo-Arab
Sayyidatuna Aisha bint Abu Bakr رضي الله عنهما was 6 years old when the prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم married her and he consummated her marriage when she was 9. This is an indisputable fact that no one has disagreed with.

Hafid Ibn Kathir said in his Serah Al Nabawiyah:

وقوله : « تزوجها وهى ابنة ست سنين ، وبنى بها وهى ابنة تسع » مالا خلاف فيه
بين الناس ، وقد ثبت في الصحاح وغيره​

And his saying: (He wedded her when she was 6 years old, and consummated her marriage when she was 9 years old) there is no difference of opinion between the people about it.”

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Reposting? Anyway, this is factually incorrect, since her age doesn't align with her birth date and marriage date. She was in her 19.

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
Reposting? Anyway, this is factually incorrect, since her age doesn't align with her birth date and marriage date. She was in her 19.
Life span was much shorter back then it was normal to have kids as early as possible. You can’t call everyone who lived up until recent times a pedo. This is a better explanation than jumping through hoops to she was 19. The better argument is “for the time they were in, it was normal”. This is a valid argument

According to your viewpoint, we should be taking your view over that of Imam Bukhari. Can you name just one classical scholar who said she was 19?

(40)
Chapter: The marrying of a daughter by her father to a ruler
(39)
باب تَزْوِيجِ الأَبِ ابْنَتَهُ مِنَ الإِمَامِ

Narrated `Aisha:
that the Prophet (ﷺ) married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that `Aisha remained with the Prophet (ﷺ) for nine years (i.e. till his death).

حَدَّثَنَا مُعَلَّى بْنُ أَسَدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا وُهَيْبٌ، عَنْ هِشَامِ بْنِ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم تَزَوَّجَهَا وَهْىَ بِنْتُ سِتِّ سِنِينَ، وَبَنَى بِهَا وَهْىَ بِنْتُ تِسْعِ سِنِينَ‏.‏ قَالَ هِشَامٌ وَأُنْبِئْتُ أَنَّهَا كَانَتْ عِنْدَهُ تِسْعَ سِنِينَ‏.‏

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Life span was much shorter back then it was normal to have kids as early as possible. You can’t call everyone who lived up until recent times a pedo. This is a better explanation than jumping through hoops to she was 19. The better argument is “for the time they were in, it was normal”. This is a valid argument
Exactly using modern social norms to cast judgement on people living through harsh conditions 1400 years ago is absurd.

There was an imperative for people to have children as young as possible. So society can thrive the low life expectancy.

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
Exactly using modern social norms to cast judgement on people living through harsh conditions 1400 years ago is absurd.

There was an imperative for people to have children as young as possible. So society can thrive the low life expectancy.
These peoples’ idols like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and their excuse is always “everyone had slaves at the time”. Enslaving other humans is much worse than marrying early out of necessity.

Explaining it this way is better than rewriting things to say she was 19 or worse, calling people names and getting angry.

Life span was much shorter back then it was normal to have kids as early as possible.
This isn’t entirely true, many babies died during childbirth or died in the first few years of life.
Researchers take this into account when making an average of life expectancy but when you exclude these individuals from the sample the average will shoot up to something like 60s to 70s

I just came across an atheist ex-Muslim a little while ago. and when he tried to justify his riddah, the first thing he starts talking about is the marriage to Aisha.

I have no idea why people care about this issue.

In the modern world, people are taught that getting married at that age is this horrible thing. That's supposed to be this horrible thing. But giving them transgender surgery and hormones of the opposite sex to try to change their gender- that's considered no big deal!

So we can mutiliate young people's privates in a Frankenstein procedure to try to change their sex- but letting young people get married is the end of the world!

This proves that the "modern" (European) values is just brainwashing. Aisha herself never felt she was oppressed or anything like that. Who is anyone else to say she was if she herself never felt that way?

Anyways, nobody cared about this marriage to Aisha thing before like a hundred years ago. These are new made-up values that were invented recently. Christians were critiquing Islam for over a thousand years, there are many of their writings on this theme and I don't think any Christian critic of Islam cared or said anything.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Likely 12-19, how was Ibn Umar refused to participate to the Battle of Uhud for being too young (14). The hadith is sahih by the way.

You can interpret this as young boys wouldn’t fare well in battle as that requires lots of strenght but same applies to young girls, childbirth is easier for full grown women.

Allah knows the best, its best to say her age is unknown.

You can come to two conclusions with this information, picking one

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2. The standards set by the prophet are not morally acceptable today, which is obviously blasphemy and revisionism

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
(40)
Chapter: The marrying of a daughter by her father to a ruler
(39)
باب تَزْوِيجِ الأَبِ ابْنَتَهُ مِنَ الإِمَامِ

Narrated `Aisha:
that the Prophet (ﷺ) married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that `Aisha remained with the Prophet (ﷺ) for nine years (i.e. till his death).

حَدَّثَنَا مُعَلَّى بْنُ أَسَدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا وُهَيْبٌ، عَنْ هِشَامِ بْنِ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم تَزَوَّجَهَا وَهْىَ بِنْتُ سِتِّ سِنِينَ، وَبَنَى بِهَا وَهْىَ بِنْتُ تِسْعِ سِنِينَ‏.‏ قَالَ هِشَامٌ وَأُنْبِئْتُ أَنَّهَا كَانَتْ عِنْدَهُ تِسْعَ سِنِينَ‏.‏

Hold on just to clarify your saying cause i just heard someone trying to say Aisha was 18 is this an innovation?

Hold on just to clarify your saying cause i just heard someone trying to say Aisha was 18 is this an innovation?

I don't want to call it an innovation but I believe it's modernist propaganda. I don't think the classical scholars had that view.

All of a sudden the hadith in Bukhari is supposedly weak, all the evidence is weak (because it isn't even just Bukhari but there's more evidence as well).... but I've heard a lecture where they talk about it and I think these claims that the evidence is weak, Aisha was 18.... I think is a new view that emerged.

If we want to try to figure out whether a hadith is weak or whether a view is authentic..... we should look at the evidence as it is, weigh it as is without some predetermined conclusion making us biased.

What a lot of people do is they have some conclusion based on whatever external set of values and then because a hadith doesn't fit with their predetermined conclusion they go and say "oh, the hadith is weak".

I don't think there's any serious discussion as to whether the report in Bukhari is correct. The whole idea that it's a weak hadith and the evidence from other sources are incorrect as well.... I think it is something made up by modernists trying to retroactively make Islam fit their views.

I don't want to call it an innovation but I believe it's modernist propaganda. I don't think the classical scholars had that view.

All of a sudden the hadith in Bukhari is supposedly weak, all the evidence is weak (because it isn't even just Bukhari but there's more evidence as well).... but I've heard a lecture where they talk about it and I think these claims that the evidence is weak, Aisha was 18.... I think is a new view that emerged.

If we want to try to figure out whether a hadith is weak or whether a view is authentic..... we should look at the evidence as it is, weigh it as is without some predetermined conclusion making us biased.

What a lot of people do is they have some conclusion based on whatever external set of values and then because a hadith doesn't fit with their predetermined conclusion they go and say "oh, the hadith is weak".

I don't think there's any serious discussion as to whether the report in Bukhari is correct. The whole idea that it's a weak hadith and the evidence from other sources are incorrect as well.... I think it is something made up by modernists trying to retroactively make Islam fit their views.
I believe a large part of the 'modernist' perspective hinges on questioning one part of the most common isnad. They question the mental state of Hisham after he moved to Iraq, corroborating it with another significant figure being angry with hadith narrated by Hisham after this. they kind of run with that to then estimate Aisha RA with dating techniques

An easy critique is that theres isnad chains that dont involve Hisham