Sufisim & Mawlid

I go to a Somali Sufi masjid that celebrates the mawlid, they claim it's bid'ah hassanah and it builds stronger love for the prophet SAW. There not full on sufis, they don't dance or anything just mawlid and a few other things. There very good people and they teach me a lot about islam, this is just one situation I have concern about.

I'm not knowledgeable on aqeedah and fiqh. I do read lots of quran and hadith and every time I have an odd question I follow the Shacfici ruling on the internet.
This has been good for me, but now I'm confused because I hear bad things about mawlid and I don't know what to think. I'm a layman muslim, I watch youtube sheikhs and now I want to actually start learning deeper about manhaj, aqeedah and fiqh. All my elders at the masjid would lead to semi-sufism what should I do?

How do someone of you who likely have this similar experiences, know who to follow and do you not feel ostracized by following something that your community doesn't? Let's have a discussion.

@techsamatar What is your deen stack? Sorry to use that term but like what do you follow? I'm assuming Shafici madhab, Salafi aqeedah & Sunni sect? Did you grow up as such, if not how did you separate? I'm at a weird point, I'm interested is Salafi but my masjid nor my family claims such.

I read this hadith and it inspired me to question by stack.

Narrated `Abdullah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "The best people are those of my generation, and then those who will come after them (the next generation), and then those who will come after them (i.e. the next generation), and then after them, there will come people whose witness will precede their oaths, and whose oaths will precede their witness."

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
I go to a Somali Sufi masjid that celebrates the mawlid, they claim it's bid'ah hassanah and it builds stronger love for the prophet SAW. There not full on sufis, they don't dance or anything just mawlid and a few other things. There very good people and they teach me a lot about islam, this is just one situation I have concern about.

I'm not knowledgeable on aqeedah and fiqh. I do read lots of quran and hadith and every time I have an odd question I follow the Shacfici ruling on the internet.
This has been good for me, but now I'm confused because I hear bad things about mawlid and I don't know what to think. I'm a layman muslim, I watch youtube sheikhs and now I want to actually start learning deeper about manhaj, aqeedah and fiqh. All my elders at the masjid would lead to semi-sufism what should I do?

How do someone of you who likely have this similar experiences, know who to follow and do you not feel ostracized by following something that your community doesn't? Let's have a discussion.
Just continue going to the musjid while ignoring Mawlid stuff. You don’t want to lose out on the community environment. There’s been many studies on how bad your mental health suffers when you don’t surround yourself with a community of people.

And if it continues to still bother you try looking for other musjids in your area

Just continue going to the musjid while ignoring Mawlid stuff. You don’t want to lose out on the community environment. There’s been many studies on how bad your mental health suffers when you don’t surround yourself with a community of people.

And if it continues to still bother you try looking for other musjids in your area
Thanks for the practical advice. That's really what I've been doing, it does become a bit dicey when you are questioned or asked to participate though. Otherwise, I won't let this ruin my mental health as you said. :dzmxmmb:

You can be a Sufi and still celebrate the prophets (SAW) birth in private without public show. Sufism isnt also all about grave worship tho as with everything human even in the modern Islamic view of straight forward interpretation of the deens principles , people still go extreme.

Sufism is one of the oldest and most consistent Islamic beliefs its a form of Muslim meditation in that it focuses on the Principle of Tawbah, Ikhlaas , Dikri (Remembrance/Honoring) and Love for all that Allah has put forward on this earth.

Again i repeat its not all about drum banging or grave worshipping as with all things human people will find a way to go above and beyond.

techsamatar

I put Books to the Test of Life
@techsamatar What is your deen stack? Sorry to use that term but like what do you follow? I'm assuming Shafici madhab, Salafi aqeedah & Sunni sect? Did you grow up as such, if not how did you separate? I'm at a weird point, I'm interested is Salafi but my masjid nor my family claims such.

I read this hadith and it inspired me to question by stack.

Narrated `Abdullah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "The best people are those of my generation, and then those who will come after them (the next generation), and then those who will come after them (i.e. the next generation), and then after them, there will come people whose witness will precede their oaths, and whose oaths will precede their witness."
Hanbali and Shafi are schools of thought that Most Salafis follow, Don't confuse yourself and Just learn the Deen the way and how the first 3 generations of Muslims learnt and what they where upon without the innovations - It is Pure Islam not what you or I feel like its best we hear and obey.

Don't waste your time sitting with people of Bidah it will just corrupt your Aqeedah and mind further and will not benefit you.

The Ṣaḥābah asked the Prophet who the saved sect are, he replied: ‘They are those who are upon what I and my Ṣaḥābah are upon today.’ [at-Tirmidhī]

Imam Al-Awza’ee said: “Adhere to the narrations of the prophet (saw), companions & tabieens, even if the people were to abandon you. And be aware of the opinions of people no matter how much they beautify it with speech”

Mowlid is Bidah. the prophet pbuh didn’t do anything on his bday. The only thing that he did was fast on mondays

What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nasai and Abu Dawood)

Trending