Stolen: How Yemenis stole Somali food and culture

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
We all know Somalis influenced the people around them since the start of time. But did you know how much of an influence we had on our Yemeni neighbors? They won't speak about this because they want to steal our food to make money off it. Go to any Yemeni restaurant and see for yourself. Here are some examples of Somali dishes stolen by Yemenis. I will put "Yemeni" in quotation in the description. Look on how they describe our food as theirs. It's a crime.

Examples of Stolen Somali Food:
Maraq (marag)
  • Maraq (مرق) is a "Yemeni"lamb broth soup is always served at the beginning of the meal. It comes with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the soup.
Mandi
(mindi, mandy, mandee)

Mandi (المندي‎) is the traditional dish in Yemen native to Hadhramaut Province and many other Yemeni cities. Mandi is usually made from meat (lamb or chicken), basmati rice, and a mixture of spices. The meat used is usually a young and small sized lamb to enhance the taste further. Raisins and pine nuts can be added to the rice as per one's taste. Mandi is also considered as the main dish served in special events such as weddings and feasts.
  • ( Somali bariis influence)
Hanid
(haneed)

hanid.JPG

Hanid (لحم حنيد) is made with lamb or chicken in a tanoor (clay oven filled with hot coals).
  • ( Haniid is literally a Somali word.)
Mashwi

Mashwi
(مشوي), meaning grilled or roasted, is the whole fish grilled in the oven and served simply with lemon slices.

• ( This is a Somali northern coastal dish that was stolen)
Malawah
(malawach, malohwa, malowa, mulawah)

Malawah is one of the many kinds of bread eaten in Yemen. What makes it unique is that it is layered and folded with butter or ghee inside which makes it very tasty. You will most likely find this bread in the many restaurants in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeidah or other parts of the country. It is not usually made at home but perhaps somewhere they do make it at home. It also usually comes very large in a single or "malawah double" serving and then is folded on the table to keep it from cooling down and getting too crispy.
  • ( They even stole Malawah, again Malawah has no meaning in Arabic, but in Somali the meaning is clear in the name )
Sabayah
(sabaya, bint al sahn)

Source: Queen of Sheba Yemeni Recipes

Sabayah (بنت الصحن) is layers of pastry with butter in between each layer and Yemeni honey and black sesame seeds on top.
  • ( They stole the word Sabayaad for this dish, Somali Sabaayad is served with Malab)
Fasolia
(fasuuliah)

Fasolia (فاصوليا) is a red or white kidney bean dish with tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables and spices.
  • ( Northern Somali Dish stolen )

Sambusa
(sambosa, samosa)

Many Asian countries have their own version of sambusa. The Yemeni version is eaten during Ramadan for iftar when breaking the fast at sunset. Usually inside is meat or cheese.

Qamir
(khameer, bakhmri)

Qamir (الخمير او المقصفص) is a fried dough sweet from Hadramout and it has similar cousins in East Africa, India, and other Arab countries. This bread-like treat can be either sweet or savory. It's usually served during Ramadan along with the sambosa. (Note in the photo that the qamir are behind the sambusa.)
  • (Literally another Somali dish stolen, in the north it is called Khamir in the south it is called Buur)

Shurbat Qamah
(shurbat Ramadan, shuraba, shurabah)

Shurbat qamah is a soup that is only made during Ramadan for breaking the fast. Buckwheat or oatmeal is a main ingredient and makes the soup chewy. The broth is made with onion, slices of tomato, and tomato sauce. There are other variations of the broth with different vegetables or even just milk and salt. It can be made with lamb or chicken.
  • ( Somali Shurba stolen, again same meaning it is only eaten during Ramadan)

There is many more examples, but don't ever think our dishes were influenced by others. :gucciwhat: They were stolen from us :nahgirl:

Last edited:

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
What evidence do you have other than the names being similiar and how do you know it’s not the opposite case?

Stop cooning, :gucciwhat:the names are literally Somali words that have an etymological basis in af Somaali, the food also have roots and origins in Somalia , the foods were brought over to Yemen by Somali influence :gucciwhat:

My issue when these a-rat Yemenis claim they invented these foods :gucciwhat: Do you not understand how dangerous that is to our culture? They are making money off our our food and tricking idiot somalis into thinking we took their cuisine? Indigenous arab cuisine is snakes and rats :drakelaugh:

Stop cooning, :gucciwhat:the names are literally Somali words that have an etymological basis in af Somaali, the food also have roots and origins in Somalia , the foods were brought over to Yemen by Somali influence :gucciwhat:

My issue when these a-rat Yemenis claim they invented these foods :gucciwhat: Do you not understand how dangerous that is to our culture? They are making money off our our food and tricking idiot somalis into thinking we took their cuisine? Indigenous arab cuisine is snakes and rats :drakelaugh:
Historical revisionism is very bad wallahi. Also don’t EVER call me a coon or I’ll report you to immigration wallahi.

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
Historical revisionism is very bad wallahi. Also don’t EVER call me a coon or I’ll report you to immigration wallahi.

i will report you :russ:, its historical fact Yemenis stole Somali food, if you are against that your a coon, what else do I expect from a likkle shaanshiyad :chrisfreshhah:

i will report you :russ:, its historical fact Yemenis stole Somali food, if you are against that your a coon, what else do I expect from a likkle shaanshiyad :chrisfreshhah:
Stop making up shit dude. Somalis have accomplished real things dude there’s no reason to make up accomplishments. Do you know Ilhan Omar is half Shanshiyo?!?!?

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
Stop making up shit dude. Somalis have accomplished real things dude there’s no reason to make up accomplishments. Do you know Ilhan Omar is half Shanshiyo?!?!?

How is acknowledging our influence, "making shit up"? Are you denying we influenced our neighboring territories? How dare you try and give our delicious food to these A-rats , do Shanshiiyo fake claim yemen, is that why you are defending their fuckery? :gucciwhat:

How is acknowledging our influence, "making shit up"? Are you denying we influenced our neighboring territories? How dare you try and give our delicious food to these A-rats , do Shanshiiyo fake claim yemen, is that why you are defending their fuckery? :gucciwhat:
Wallahi your making shit up. Like I said Somalis have real accomplishments like being 1 of 2 countries to use the wheel. I have never claimed Yemen you twat.

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
Wallahi your making shit up. Like I said Somalis have real accomplishments like being 1 of 2 countries to use the wheel. I have never claimed Yemen you twat.

How am I making shit up? When the evidence is through, historical trade, influence, and etymology? Your just a fucking shaashiyi garac who thinks he is arab. Yemenis sold you to my people how dare you defend them :drakelaugh:

How am I making shit up? When the evidence is through, historical trade, influence, and etymology? Your just a fucking shaashiyi garac who thinks he is arab. Yemenis sold you to my people how dare you defend them :drakelaugh:
Wallahi I don’t think I’m arab! Especially after my DNA test. So my people were slaves now?

We all know Somalis influenced the people around them since the start of time. But did you know how much of an influence we had on our Yemeni neighbors? They won't speak about this because they want to steal our food to make money off it. Go to any Yemeni restaurant and see for yourself. Here are some examples of Somali dishes stolen by Yemenis. I will put "Yemeni" in quotation in the description. Look on how they describe our food as theirs. It's a crime.

Examples of Stolen Somali Food:
Maraq (marag)
  • Maraq (مرق) is a "Yemeni"lamb broth soup is always served at the beginning of the meal. It comes with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the soup.
Mandi
(mindi, mandy, mandee)

Mandi (المندي‎) is the traditional dish in Yemen native to Hadhramaut Province and many other Yemeni cities. Mandi is usually made from meat (lamb or chicken), basmati rice, and a mixture of spices. The meat used is usually a young and small sized lamb to enhance the taste further. Raisins and pine nuts can be added to the rice as per one's taste. Mandi is also considered as the main dish served in special events such as weddings and feasts.
  • ( Somali bariis influence)
Hanid
(haneed)

hanid.JPG

Hanid (لحم حنيد) is made with lamb or chicken in a tanoor (clay oven filled with hot coals).
  • ( Haniid is literally a Somali word.)
Mashwi

Mashwi
(مشوي), meaning grilled or roasted, is the whole fish grilled in the oven and served simply with lemon slices.

• ( This is a Somali northern coastal dish that was stolen)
Malawah
(malawach, malohwa, malowa, mulawah)

Malawah is one of the many kinds of bread eaten in Yemen. What makes it unique is that it is layered and folded with butter or ghee inside which makes it very tasty. You will most likely find this bread in the many restaurants in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeidah or other parts of the country. It is not usually made at home but perhaps somewhere they do make it at home. It also usually comes very large in a single or "malawah double" serving and then is folded on the table to keep it from cooling down and getting too crispy.
  • ( They even stole Malawah, again Malawah has no meaning in Arabic, but in Somali the meaning is clear in the name )
Sabayah
(sabaya, bint al sahn)

Source: Queen of Sheba Yemeni Recipes

Sabayah (بنت الصحن) is layers of pastry with butter in between each layer and Yemeni honey and black sesame seeds on top.
  • ( They stole the word Sabayaad for this dish, Somali Sabaayad is served with Malab)
Fasolia
(fasuuliah)

Fasolia (فاصوليا) is a red or white kidney bean dish with tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables and spices.
  • ( Northern Somali Dish stolen )

Sambusa
(sambosa, samosa)

Many Asian countries have their own version of sambusa. The Yemeni version is eaten during Ramadan for iftar when breaking the fast at sunset. Usually inside is meat or cheese.

Qamir
(khameer, bakhmri)

Qamir (الخمير او المقصفص) is a fried dough sweet from Hadramout and it has similar cousins in East Africa, India, and other Arab countries. This bread-like treat can be either sweet or savory. It's usually served during Ramadan along with the sambosa. (Note in the photo that the qamir are behind the sambusa.)
  • (Literally another Somali dish stolen, in the north it is called Khamir in the south it is called Buur)

Shurbat Qamah
(shurbat Ramadan, shuraba, shurabah)

Shurbat qamah is a soup that is only made during Ramadan for breaking the fast. Buckwheat or oatmeal is a main ingredient and makes the soup chewy. The broth is made with onion, slices of tomato, and tomato sauce. There are other variations of the broth with different vegetables or even just milk and salt. It can be made with lamb or chicken.
  • ( Somali Shurba stolen, again same meaning it is only eaten during Ramadan)

There is many more examples, but don't ever think our dishes were influenced by others. :gucciwhat: They were stolen from us :nahgirl:

Arabs are thieves.

Trending

Latest posts