SOMALI who grew up during early 2000s

Aegon

The Conqueror, King of all Westeros
How was your experience?, I'm talking about the kids that parents arrived after 91 and were the first to grew up in qurbaha, how was it for you, Especially if you were raised like in somali area? I wonder how it was for someone that lived in minneapolis for an example that probably had thousands of somalis even those early years, How did it feel with the racism and xenophobia towards you from every direction. Somalia being literally almost finished. No representation in media like we have now with even most popular scandi rappers, canada rappers, uk rappers being somali. Models, actors, we have a lot now

Abaq

VIP
The UK was fine till the Euro trash came. Then the UK diaspora became filled with drugs and crime. Before that we were a small unknown community that kept a low profile

Somali Saayid

It's been a while hasn't it?
VIP
The UK was fine till the Euro trash came. Then the UK diaspora became filled with drugs and crime. Before that we were a small unknown community that kept a low profile
Who would've thought Reer UK were a 'small unknown community that kept a low profile'
It's always the ones you don't expect but then again we had just arrived there so........:farmajoyaab:

The Great 2010s Netherlands -> UK migration has been disastrous for our reputation here

:jcoleno:

I mus admit, anonymity is a gift of sort, when no one knew whom we were in London in those days, not even other Africans, let alone West Indies. We were very close-knit community, would seek each other out, had pride in our identity, would protect the community and our good name, could not even complete a football team, well till many arrived, and moved to South Hall. Old timers were in Swiss Cottage, and with many, then, residing in boroughs viz White Chapel, Ilford, and Barking. Besides the seamen, most of those were of the educated, and well-to-do families from the Middle East, and India. I remember returning from Glasgow to find a wave of Somalis in West London. I actually spent a night just people watching in admiration.

Oh the UK then was gilded. In a nutshell, splendid times.

Somali Saayid

It's been a while hasn't it?
VIP
I wouldn't know about Reer Minnesota or the UK. Columbus is somewhere you wouldn't think Somalis would settle but look at us now though.

Yaraye

VIP
i was born in the 2000s, too young to remember shit
baby GIF

There was no racism but there was no filter either.
Not as bad, yet it was all subtle, still brimming under the surface. Think of this: I was being given a 'B' for a project, but an English mate, who copied my work was awarded an 'A' (he just changed the title, and slapped his name on the front page), and his coming to me all excited only to discover my 'B', and complaining, on my behalf, or so he thought, and got us both penalised for a tall case of plagiarism. Oh the flip side of good old times. It was a known fact amongst us that minority students had been marked down purely for being so, and not for their academic performance.

Last edited:
I grew up in Toronto, it was good times. Somalis were not well known back then and we didn’t have that gangbanger reputation that unfortunately exists in the city now.

I didn’t grow up in the Somali neighbourhoods though (like dixon, rexdale) so I can’t speak on that. The Somalis on my side of town were more spread out. I was in an area with lots of timojilic, indhoyar and caribbean people too. Those from Toronto prob know which part of the city I’m from just from that description alone lol.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
there weren't that many of us around
i remember our moms all getting in to a van to go to arab halal store in the north
we weren't known and people always called us ethiopian
resources were small but we shared with each other everything

qabiil did not matter, we were all one
so many good memories :)

Aegon

The Conqueror, King of all Westeros
That’s funny because my mom said the sale things, it was good when we weren’t many as now.

Latest posts