Somali Suicide Rate Is It High?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I was wondering what is the suicide rate among Somalis? You hear lots of sudden death with no pre conditions and lots of families not divulging what the coroner report was?

PPL now assume if you hear a random and unpredictable death among Somalis in the west, it's usually suicide or drug overdoses(he went to to beerta daroogada which they call xoriyada ee hargeisa.

AbdiFreedom

Humiliator in Chief
Staff Member
I know alot of Somalis that killed themselves. I also heard of 3 that died of fentanyl overdose in April. The community sweeps it all under the rug. There is a deaths of despair crisis going on in the diaspora community. But of course maintaining a false image and hiding shame is of upmost importance to Somalis. They're a very troubled people.

I was wondering what is the suicide rate among Somalis? You hear lots of sudden death with no pre conditions and lots of families not divulging what the coroner report was?

PPL now assume if you hear a random and unpredictable death among Somalis in the west, it's usually suicide or drug overdoses(he went to to beerta daroogada which they call xoriyada ee hargeisa.
I only know 1 kid who did it was my friends cousin his parents sent him to a boot camp in Kenya I think and he was traumatized and killed himself

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I only know 1 kid who did it was my friends cousin his parents sent him to a boot camp in Kenya I think and he was traumatized and killed himself

@AbdiFreedom

You hear random ppl dying in their sleep with no earlier symptoms noticed. This is most likely due to drug overdoses and somali families hiding corona report findings or suicide popping 20 pills and saying f*ck the world.

You are right we are such a shame conscious culture but what makes it stupid is when they try to insult our intelligence like we know the dude who just died had nothing wrong with him the week before. Plus we know coroner reports can find cause of death and its stupid trying to hide it.

Kisame

Plotting world domination
@AbdiFreedom

You hear random ppl dying in their sleep with no earlier symptoms noticed. This is most likely due to drug overdoses and somali families hiding corona report findings or suicide popping 20 pills and saying f*ck the world.

You are right we are such a shame conscious culture but what makes it stupid is when they try to insult our intelligence like we know the dude who just died had nothing wrong with him the week before. Plus we know coroner reports can find cause of death and its stupid trying to hide it.

"You hear random ppl dying in their sleep with no earlier symptoms noticed"

This "happened" to a childhood friend I knew three years ago.

@Geeljire lotus I've heard the same thing happen to a few somalis in Minnesota and Washington. Are these all just drug overdoses??

I remember seeing dudes try to start campaigns about drug addiction in Minnesota awhile back

Suicide rates is extremely low, it is rare to see Somalis unalive themselves or even think of it , as suicide rate are lower to see among Muslims across the board. There is recent studies on this:

Results: Somali youth reported similar rates of depressive symptoms, but lower levels of suicidal ideation or attempts and self-harm behaviors than their white peers (p < 0.001). All eight protective factors were associated with outcomes in the expected direction for white youth. For Somali youth, internal developmental assets (aOR 0.79, 95% CI: 0.65-0.97), empowerment (aOR 0.58, 95% CI: 0.45-0.73), family connectedness (aOR 0.60, 95% CI: 0.51-0.71), perception of caring adults in the community (aOR: 0.84, 95% CI: 0.76-0.92), and quality of after-school activities (aOR: 0.72, 95% CI: 0.61-0.86) were protective against depressive symptoms, with similar patterns for other outcomes. Other school factors protected Somali youth less consistently.

It's consistent with what i have said before in a different thread:

Big component for people to ''Self delete'' themselves is sense of thwarted belonging and percieved burdensomness. Most don't do it because they are mentally ill or depressed (unless your ill is a fleeting feeling).

It's true what the second poster said, it's generally rare in religious communities or close knit communities like Somalis. Because there is always a sense of belonging and acceptance through your family/ethnic or religious/cultural affiliations and networks.

Also a community/family where people share and support one another will lessen someones feeling of perceived burdensomness
. Research has shown a lack of social support could lead to these perceptions.

I know alot of Somalis that killed themselves. I also heard of 3 that died of fentanyl overdose in April. The community sweeps it all under the rug. There is a deaths of despair crisis going on in the diaspora community. But of course maintaining a false image and hiding shame is of upmost importance to Somalis. They're a very troubled people.

You can't hide people dying/killing themselves to keep up an image. What do you do? bury their dead bodies in your backyard and pretend they went on vacation? Be real. The few cases when it does happens it is spoken widely about among the community in shock, because it's out of the ordinary and we as a community mourn for them. And you guys are proving it.

It's actually White, Asian and Black people offi'ng themselves in record high numbers. That you can describe going through a deaths of despair crisis.

The only suicide that happens at large among Somalis is actually Alshabaab suicide bombers, unfortunately.

Last edited:
"You hear random ppl dying in their sleep with no earlier symptoms noticed"

This "happened" to a childhood friend I knew three years ago.

@Geeljire lotus I've heard the same thing happen to a few somalis in Minnesota and Washington. Are these all just drug overdoses??

I remember seeing dudes try to start campaigns about drug addiction in Minnesota awhile back
Yuppp all drug overdoses but people get embarrassed and say it was heart problems