Somali educational achievement - Lambeth, UK

So who’s the dumbest group of people then? I don’t believe that exists.

Probably those groups with the smallest gene pool. They end up being limited by their lack of diversity.

Whereas communities with more diversity in their genetics, even though they might have more extremes on both ends of the intellect scale will likely have a greater potential.

Djokovic

Somali Arab
A oft-repeated myth is that somalis do not perform as good in education as other ethnicities. I am not denying that the current educational situation in the somaly community is not perfect, but it is not as close to as bad as some portray it. In fact, the opposite is closer to the truth. To substantiate this claim, I will below present somali educational achivement in the UK, more specifically Lambeth schools in London, for the past years regarding GCSE.

Let’s start from 2009: Somalis have had a steady increase in pass rate, from 48% in 2009 to 61% in 2011 and thus being above the national pass rate at 59%.

View attachment 105092

If we look at the GCSE score trend for somali pupils in Lambeth for the period 2014-2018, we find that they are above the national average in all instances, scoring 60%, 55%, 71%, 55%, 64% respectively. You may also note that the somalis outperform the white British 3 years out of 5.

View attachment 105093

It gets even more interesting when looking at the English and Maths 9 to 4/A*-C attainment by ethnic background, having a 81% and 78% pass rate for 2016 and 2018 respectively (with the national average being 59% in both instances):

View attachment 105094

Add the above to the fact that more than a third (36%) of the pupils were eligible for free meals, a proxy for social deprivation.

Another interesting thing is the scores for KS1 and KS2, where a large part of the Somalis are not fluent in English and still do well (you can look up the numbers in the link).

Too bad it is rather impossible to find statistics such as these here in Sweden, all they ever give is statistics of “pupils with parents born in other countries”, which is a shame really. I do not know how it looks in North America, but I’d think there is a possibility to find such information, no?

Sources:
https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/rsu/site...ali_pupils_raising_achivement_report_2018.pdf
https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/rsu/sites/www.lambeth.gov.uk.rsu/files/The_Achievement_of_Somali_Pupils_in_Lambeth_Research Brief_2016.pdf
WHy do they put black African instead of Afro Arab ??

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
the dip in 2016 must have coincided with the immigration crisis of 2015/16 where many xoolos came in and fcked everything up. Still there's a uphill trend

very promising stuff

Also this debunks the 68 IQ nonsense

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
The reason why it was lower before is because many Somalis came from Holland and Scandinavian countries 2000 + , they basically had to learn a new language AND suffer through all sorts of social and educational problems.

It's not fair to judge a pre-teen/teen who just learned a new language on their exam results.

Somalis are highly intelligent and capable and the stats will continue to rise.
What about the ones born and breed here ?

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
It's because we came from a war torn country we have to work extra hard and make a decent living to survive and help our people back home. The other races don't have to work as much as we do, majority live comfortably.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Damn. Link me some Somali owned tuition centres. I too will make sure my kids perform well and learn one instrument each.

We movin up baby!!!!

:dwill: :banderas: :trumpsmirk:

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Damn. Link me some Somali owned tuition centres. I too will make sure my kids perform well and learn one instrument each.

We movin up baby!!!!

:dwill: :banderas: :trumpsmirk:
There are couple in Southall, such as Yaalo and Southall Tuition Center

There is a good one called Cherry Hill, not owned by Somali though, very prestigious and good

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Sending my kids to Kumon Inshallah
200.gif

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP
A oft-repeated myth is that somalis do not perform as good in education as other ethnicities. I am not denying that the current educational situation in the somaly community is not perfect, but it is not as close to as bad as some portray it. In fact, the opposite is closer to the truth. To substantiate this claim, I will below present somali educational achivement in the UK, more specifically Lambeth schools in London, for the past years regarding GCSE.

Let’s start from 2009: Somalis have had a steady increase in pass rate, from 48% in 2009 to 61% in 2011 and thus being above the national pass rate at 59%.

View attachment 105092

If we look at the GCSE score trend for somali pupils in Lambeth for the period 2014-2018, we find that they are above the national average in all instances, scoring 60%, 55%, 71%, 55%, 64% respectively. You may also note that the somalis outperform the white British 3 years out of 5.

View attachment 105093

It gets even more interesting when looking at the English and Maths 9 to 4/A*-C attainment by ethnic background, having a 81% and 78% pass rate for 2016 and 2018 respectively (with the national average being 59% in both instances):

View attachment 105094

Add the above to the fact that more than a third (36%) of the pupils were eligible for free meals, a proxy for social deprivation.

Another interesting thing is the scores for KS1 and KS2, where a large part of the Somalis are not fluent in English and still do well (you can look up the numbers in the link).

Too bad it is rather impossible to find statistics such as these here in Sweden, all they ever give is statistics of “pupils with parents born in other countries”, which is a shame really. I do not know how it looks in North America, but I’d think there is a possibility to find such information, no?

Sources:
https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/rsu/site...ali_pupils_raising_achivement_report_2018.pdf
https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/rsu/sites/www.lambeth.gov.uk.rsu/files/The_Achievement_of_Somali_Pupils_in_Lambeth_Research Brief_2016.pdf
Portuguese are jahil 😂

btw tiger parenting ur kids leads to mentall illness so ease up abit, we don't want to be like indhoyaar
i don’t think it’s tiger parenting getting your children the extra help and attention they need for their studies. schools and teachers don’t teach shit and don’t gaf about kids and their learning

Trending

Latest posts