Socotra

In the 12th century, Yaqut al-Hamawi said that it was inhabited by Christian Arabs but that it was a “Berber” island
IMG_1388.jpeg

I'm not interested in claiming it, but in the future we will have to research more

Source :

This is very interesting! There will have to be more studies I read the Mehris took over in the 1400-1500s so quite late and before then it changed hands several times.

There were some Somalis recorded in the capital when Europeans arrived but I don't think this island has ever been a Somali territory

This is very interesting! There will have to be more studies I read the Mehris took over in the 1400-1500s so quite late and before then it changed hands several times.

There were some Somalis recorded in the capital when Europeans arrived but I don't think this island has ever been a Somali territory
True, as I said, it is possible that we ruled it for a period or had some relationship, but it was never a Somali island, but in the future, if we develop, we must annex them to us.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Socotra belongs to Yemen, nearly every historical account of the place agrees to this.

The Maldives while not inhabited by Somalis, did have a Somali dynasty I believe. Maybe you guys should look there for irredentism.

Socotra was maybe at best briefly under Somali control at some point in time but even that is questionable. It was definitely not a Somali island and would be insane to characterise it that way.

Socotra was maybe at best briefly under Somali control at some point in time but even that is questionable. It was definitely not a Somali island and would be insane to characterise it that way.
It's possible, don't get me wrong I honestly don't care to claim it but I found it interesting and shared it

It's possible, don't get me wrong I honestly don't care to claim it but I found it interesting and shared it
Does the text you posted say anything else about this matter or does it call it Berber and that’s it?

Axum briefly conquered Socotra in the 9th century and they were weak asf at that point, so it’s very possible Somalis could have aswell at one point too, doesn’t even have to be conquest tbh intermarriage with the local elites and some political manoeuvring could have allowed Somalis to gain power.

Does the text you posted say anything else about this matter or does it call it Berber and that’s it?

Axum briefly conquered Socotra in the 9th century and they were weak asf at that point, so it’s very possible Somalis could have aswell at one point too, doesn’t even have to be conquest tbh intermarriage with the local elites and some political manoeuvring could have allowed Somalis to gain power.
Well brother, I have shortened it. The real text says, “Socotra Island, to which the Socotra patience is attributed, is a (Berber) island which is located between Aden and the country of the Zanj.” What is your opinion?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Socotra was never really colonized much or at all by either Yemeni Arabs or Somalis. The native Soqotri people are not Mehris or from Mahra. They're a related "Modern South Arabian" speaking people to Mehris and other groups like them in South Arabia like Shehris. They seemingly came there thousands of years ago and other than some escaped Bantu slaves, those were the only inhabitants for the most part. Not even Omanis took any real interest.

It's fairly obvious why. In the current era it has value as a politically strategic point and for tourism due to the nice, sunny beaches and unique fauna but historically it was practically speaking completely useless for anything other than fishing and low quality grazing. Why leave Arabia or Somalia for a poorer, smaller Arabia or Somalia where you're isolated at sea? Better to migrate to Koonfur or settle ports like Aden and Mocha which is basically what Somalis did.

Socotra was never really colonized much or at all by either Yemeni Arabs or Somalis. The native Soqotri people are not Mehris or from Mahra. They're a related "Modern South Arabian" speaking people to Mehris and other groups like them in South Arabia like Shehris. They seemingly came there thousands of years ago and other than some escaped Bantu slaves, those were the only inhabitants for the most part. Not even Omanis took any real interest.

It's fairly obvious why. In the current era it has value as a politically strategic point and for tourism due to the nice, sunny beaches and unique fauna but historically it was practically speaking completely useless for anything other than fishing and low quality grazing. Why leave Arabia or Somalia for a poorer, smaller Arabia or Somalia where you're isolated at sea? Better to migrate to Koonfur or settle ports like Aden and Mocha which is basically what Somalis did.
I agree with you brother , There was no need to occupy this place

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I agree with you brother , there was no need to occupy it in the first place

If Socotra was lush, green, fertile and filled with precious metals and stones, there would probably be constant warfare over it not even just between Omanis, Somalis and Yemenis right now but probably even Indians would partake whilst Somalis would likely even fight about it on a tribal level. Some unuka leh would definitely occur.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If Socotra was lush and green, fertile and filled with precious metals and stones, there would probably be constant warfare over it not even just between Omanis, Somalis and Yemenis right now but probably even Indians would partake whilst Somalis would likely even fight about it on a tribal level. Some unuka leh would definitely occur.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I thought about it brother, there is a reason why the Somalis went to Madagascar instead of Socotra, it is full of resources.