Puntland catch two illegal Indonesian fish looters after their boat sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamis

Two Indonesian citizens have appeared in a court in the Somalia Northeastern autonomous region of Puntland accused of illegal fishing, Horseed Media reports.

Captain Mohli Batiwawa, 46, and Aziz Hermans, 56, were detained by the Puntland marine forces after their fishing vessel sunk in the territorial waters of the autonomous state.

The prosecutor of Nugal court, Mohamed Hared accused both of them for fishing without a permit in Puntland territorial waters.

Following the hearing of the case, the lawyer of the fishermen requested for the postponement of the case for a further two weeks.

Court officials announced that the case will be preceded on the 10th of November.

In 2013, a court in Puntland imposed nearly $1 million fine on 92 Iranian fishermen for illegal fishing.

For decades, foreign trawlers from Europe and Asia have traveled to Somalia waters to take what they can without permission or licenses. They use efficient mechanical equipment, taking massive numbers of fish stocks. It is estimated that Somalia looses more than $200 million per year because of these foreign trawlers, a huge amount that would be enough to build basic infrastructure in the war-ravaged nation

Somalia waters, particularly off the coast of the semi-autonomous state of Puntland in the country’s North, contain some of the world’s most important stocks of tuna, anchovies, sharks, rays, lobsters, and shrimps, but they are barely monitored or policed, and wide open to legal and illegal plunder.

Horseed Media

S

syntax

I keep seeing news like this recently. Good. Puntland govt needs to hammer down some harsh consequences to set a precedent. These illegal fishers will just continue to keep doing this shit until they realize we aren't fucking around no more. Imagine if we had a PIS division just for the seas :banderas:

Last edited by a moderator:

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
They are international waters. The respective governments of the captives will pressure the failed state to release them.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
They are international waters. The respective governments of the captives will pressure the failed state to release them.

How do you know they were in international waters when the article says otherwise?

HalyeeyQaran

How do you know they were in international waters when the article says otherwise?
There was no such thing as illegal fishing when Somalia didn't have a central government. In regards to the autonomous and semi-autonomous states in Somalia, there still isn't any illegal fishing. The fishermen are fishing in international waters considering Somaliland isn't a sovereign state yet Somalia has no authority over the waters that border Somaliland to the north. Puntland has no claim to any of the waters and the waters off of the coast of northeastern Somalia are international waters. "Articles" written on Somali websites are illegitimate nonetheless.

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
There was no such thing as illegal fishing when Somalia didn't have a central government. In regards to the autonomous and semi-autonomous states in Somalia, there still isn't any illegal fishing. The fishermen are fishing in international waters considering Somaliland isn't a sovereign state yet Somalia has no authority over the waters that border Somaliland to the north. Puntland has no claim to any of the waters and the waters off of the coast of northeastern Somalia are international waters. "Articles" written on Somali websites are illegitimate nonetheless.
Learn the fucking difference between central and weak central they have a world recognized weak central government.
I bolded that part so you don't skip it:camby:

HalyeeyQaran

Learn the fucking difference between central and weak central they have a world recognized weak central government.
I bolded that part so you don't skip it:camby:
Between the period of 1991 to 2012, there was no internationally recognized central Somali government, hence, the waters off the coast of Somalia being international waters. Currently, Somalia has a government but the semi-autonomous and self-declared regions do not act as part of the central government, therefore, the waters off the coast of Somaliland and Puntland are international waters.

S

Shamis

It would be hard 'cause they can see your posts without logging in. lol

I don't mind that but at least they won't comment and derail the threads. This HalyeeyQaran guy puts in a lot of effort to make my threads turn dark and I'm thinking of leaving because I'm sick of him and Boqorka Bantus.

Duchess

VIP
I don't mind that but at least they won't comment and derail the threads. This HalyeeyQaran guy puts in a lot of effort to make my threads turn dark and I'm thinking of leaving because I'm sick of him and Boqorka Bantus.

I was under the impression that blocking them would take care of the problem?

S

Shamis

All it does is ignore the comments but they can read and post on the threads. I read the thread and deduce that they've commented from the other forum member's comments. It's always a bad influence on the direction of the conversation and I'm sick and tired of it.

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
All it does is ignore the comments but they can read and post on the threads. I read the thread and deduce that they've commented from the other forum member's comments. It's always a bad influence on the direction of the conversation and I'm sick and tired of it.
Maybe you can ask the admin if there's a way to ban certain posters from your thread:ummhmsmiley:

Duchess

VIP
That's exactly what I want! Just from my threads and comments.

I understand where you're coming from, but what happens when they start calaacaling about censorship and freedom of speech? Nigga are cursing me in their sleep because they think I banned nudity from the forum. I think we need to vote on this or I'll start having to wear a Hersi. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending