Journey to become well read?

Daydreamer

teetering in-between realities
I've been a bookworm since I was a kid, always reading fantasy novels and science encyclopedias about marine life. However, ever since I got my phone and got addicted to the accursed apps of social media, I've scarcely touched a book since then.

I've been interested in mystery novels and I want to read agatha chrissie's novels since she makes the best whodunnit novels. Jane austen also seems like a good author her books are also on my reading list. right now i'm gonna focus on finishing 'The alchemy of Happiness' by Ghazali and 'Outplayed: how game theory is used against us in our daily lives'
@Sophisticate @The alchemist do you guys got any recs on philosophy or any book you think benefitted you

Last edited:
I like to read articles from The Conversation, it's an Australian media outlet filled with opinion pieces strictly written by university-level academics on whatever's new and exciting, from politics to pop culture.

It helped me get a handle of all of these fancy-schmancy intellectual topics in a shorter amount of time than reading several long-form books that delve too deeply into unfamiliar topics that would have intimidated me and left me more overwhelmed than I was at the start. If I'm particularly interested in something, then I start reading full books on whatever it is, forcing it isn't good imo

I apply the same principle when it comes to the Culture and History section here. Somali history/politics is still hard for me, so I read superficially on their respective Wikipedia/Britannica pages before logging back on, so I have a simple framework to navigate what the SSpot professors are teaching on here.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I love reading also and I've been into it since I was a kid but I really urge people... if you want to be well read... of course I can't control what you do or whatever... but I really urge focusing on Arabic. you already know English. if you know English and you read something in English- where is the challenge?

I really urge ppl not emphasize much the English books... and focus on Arabic.

I myself am trying to learn Arabic, I'm not all the way there yet... but what they have in English is nothing compared to what they have in Arabic.

so if someone spends their life reading all the stuff that's in English... this is nothing as compared with what you can read in Arabic. I think it's reading in Arabic that's the real accomplishment.

I was never a bookworm growing up, maybe only reading one book exclusively outside school until my adulthood.

I am going to demystify the learning process by telling you that learning has ups and downs, and it is supposed to be challenging.

In terms of philosophy, you can start anywhere. If you want to know about any topic of Western philosophy and the respective philosophers you can Google search and write "Standford article" after. They usually have the core ideas written down, and from there you can expand upon them in greater depth if you want to get books.

Last edited:

NidarNidar

Punisher
I love reading sci-fi/fantasy books, I am currently reading The Way of Kings by Brendan Sanderson, and I highly recommend it.

POV: The smartest SSpot user finds your post 'Informative' 🤯🤯🤯
Screenshot (94).png

I've been a bookworm since I was a kid, always reading fantasy novels and science encyclopedias about marine life. However, ever since I got my phone and got addicted to the accursed apps of social media, I've scarcely touched a book since then.

I've been interested in mystery novels and I want to read agatha chrissie's novels since she makes the best whodunnit novels. Jane austen also seems like a good author her books are also on my reading list. right now i'm gonna focus on finishing 'The alchemy of Happiness' by Ghazali and 'Outplayed: how game theory is used against us in our daily lives'
@Sophisticate @The alchemist do you guys got any recs on philosophy or any book you think benefitted you

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I always sleep with audio books. But it's better to read legit books and increase your knowledge then waste it on the internet full of commercialized rubbish. Do you know .com is business domain? I want to expend my energy where the return in benefits is greater. Your not getting any return on investment reading online crap.

Tiyeglow

A Laandheere always pays his debts
Sources of information & 'enlightenment': Books > Articles & Papers > Audiobooks > Podcasts > Newspapers (specifically high brow ones, someone with self-respect doesn't go near Daily Mail) > Tiktok (lowest form of intellectual medium in existence imo, its only rival being Instagram but at least that isn't quoted as a source nearly as much as TikTok).