Is knowledge based research the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Should more money be pumped in to funding for research oriented around general knowledge in the pursuit of scientific breakthroughs rather than 'actively' seeking these discoveries??

A recent example is CRISPR and how it's initial discovery was 'indirect' in that the researchers involved at the time sought merely to better understand bacterial immune defences against viruses etc.

Your thoughts?

N

NaomiHoney

Knowledge base research would manifest into an evidence based approach.

Hypothesis, theory, evidence. All of which derives from knowledge. So it's already happening.

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Knowledge base research would manifest into an evidence based approach.

Hypothesis, theory, evidence. All of which derives from knowledge. So it's already happening.

Sorry I should've clarified it in my earlier post I meant research for the purpose of gaining general knowledge not knowledge which will have a direct application for the problem you're seeking to address.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
Should more money be pumped in to funding for research oriented around general knowledge in the pursuit of scientific breakthroughs rather than 'actively' seeking these discoveries??

A recent example is CRISPR and how it's initial discovery was 'indirect' in that the researchers involved at the time sought merely to better understand bacterial immune defences against viruses etc.

Your thoughts?
Knowledge based research while important it is typically not funded. I tend to learn more when I'm not forced to think I'm a box so yeah, more funding should go to it the real question is how should $$ go to it?

Apollo

VIP
A lot of the science today is straight up trash. You have to be careful with scientific journals nowadays, they have 'fake news' as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts