I got response: I send a letter to the WB regarding the screenshots about the (supposed) failure of the FGS to send an audit report.

@_Yusuf_ I did promise to tag you!

Last week's threads were posted, showing screenshots of a stern warning letter sent from the World Bank to the Federal Government of Somalia regarding a missing audit report. To refresh your memory, I'll attach the screenshot. I took the opportunity and sent an email to the World Bank, the e-mail I have written I'll attach aswell.

1712425050889.png

1712425060204.png

The purpose of the email was to:

• Confirm the accuracy of the screenshots.
  • Inquire about the status of the audit report.
  • Additionally, I took the opportunity to ask the World Bank about their perspective on the operations of the FGS and whether they have observed any corruption trends (although I realize this is a long shot).

Obviously anything blacked out is my personal info.

This was the response:

1712424670176.png

So out of all of the goals I set, the only real thing answered is the fact that the audit report was send. No mentioning about if the screenshots are real or fake, the dates however are odd. I send my e-mail on the 29th, which is the date mentioned first in the response, it mentions a letter send on the 31st while the date on the screenshot was the 27th. I do think the screenshots are legitimate since the e-mail says ".. we have received the pending audit report" confirming the report meant to be send in June was indeed pending. The question about corruption was completely side stepped.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

My initial e-mail:

""Dear World Bank Manager for Somalia,

I trust this email finds you well.

I am reaching out to address a matter of concern that has surfaced within Somali social media circles. Screenshots have been circulating, alleging that the Federal Government of Somalia has failed to submit its audit report for the year ending December 31, 2022. Moreover, these screenshots suggest that the World Bank may cease certain grants allocated to Somalia if the audit report is not received by March 31, 2024. They further warn of potential consequences, including the withholding of grants to the country.

As we all know, fake news is a persistant problem, mudding the water for those trying to asses the truth.

I seek clarification on the accuracy of these screenshots, which are attached to this email for your reference. Additionally, I am eager to know whether, at the time of receiving this email, the audit report from the Federal Government of Somalia has been received by your office and at what times.

If I could bother you just a bit more, could you answer these questions for me aswell?

• How has the government's compliance been thus far in terms of cooperating with and implementing World Bank guidelines?
  • Have there been any noticeable trends indicating an increase or decrease in corruption within the Federal Government of Somalia?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Your insights would greatly assist in understanding the current situation and potential implications.

Warm regards, a diaspora Somali.""

Last edited:
Some musings: The deadline for the audit report was exactly three weeks before Bihi Egeh started as the current Minister of Finance. This indicates that the audit would have been written and ready to be sent under Elmi Mohamed Nur's tenure. The period itself, in 2022, was under Beyle, who would have been responsible for at least cataloging and categorizing the data for future reporting.

Trending

Latest posts