HSM is resisting famine declaration so that he does not look bad

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

Somalis Are Going Hungry. Their Government Isn’t Calling It a Famine.​

Humanitarian groups say Somalia’s leaders are resisting a formal declaration of famine that could unlock aid and save lives.​

merlin_215901504_fab92df6-f342-4b9a-9259-b15762424419-superJumbo.jpg

A small farming village on the outskirts of Baidoa in southwest Somalia is surrounded by dry land where crops cannot grow
NAIROBI, Kenya — A severely malnourished child is admitted to a clinic in Somalia on average every minute of every day. With crops and animals decimated in the worst drought to blanket the nation in four decades, millions of Somalis stand on the brink of starvation in an unprecedented humanitarian catastrophe.
Despite the crisis, the Somali government has for months been reluctant to declare that the country faces a famine, according to interviews with government officials, aid workers and analysts familiar with internal government discussions.
Such an announcement, aid workers said, would allow far more aid to flow — as happened during a 2011 famine — and muster the attention of Western donors who are currently more focused on responding to the fallout from the war in Ukraine.
The government of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, which came to power in May, has resisted the designation for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the fledgling government fears it would undermine the public good will it now enjoys and play into the hands of the terrorist group Al Shabab, just as the military has launched a large-scale offensive against the insurgents, who have plagued the country for decades and are still launching devastating attacks.

The Somali government also worries that a famine declaration would spur an exodus of people from affected areas into major cities and towns, stretching already meager resources and fueling a rise in crime.
And they are concerned that a declaration of famine would deter investors and shift international aid money toward the emergency response — instead of long-term development money to fund health care, education and climate resilience programs.
The president acknowledged the dilemma in September, saying, “The risk is very high to announce a famine.”
Such a declaration, he said, “does not affect the famine victims only, but halts the development and changes the perspectives and everything.”
Over the past several weeks, frustrated aid workers have insisted the threshold for famine has already been reached in some areas and have pushed the government in several meetings to declare a famine to bring attention to the crisis.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/06/world/africa/somalia-famine-hunger.html

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
He has no shame, donors are attaching stringent oversight measures for any drought aid so he prefers the poor Somali too starve.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
He has no shame, donors are attaching stringent oversight measures for any drought aid so he prefers the poor Somali too starve.
Most of the people who will die are children under 5 in Bay and Lower Shabelle. Funnily enough, the number of refugees in Banadir from those regions may rise to 1 million this year.

Most of the people who will die are children under 5 in Bay and Lower Shabelle. Funnily enough, the number of refugees in Banadir from those regions may rise to 1 million this year.

it would make more sense for him to buy grain from regions that are unaffected by drought and famine and send it to regions that are not. That would be less unpopular and wouldn’t harm the fight against AS.

Unfortunately no one is interested in sending money, only grain and weapons.

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
In the span of a few months the country has gone to shit, Kenya is donating carrots while Ethiopia is donating pasta ffs. Meanwhile HSM is funding tribes to massacre each other and engage in highway robbery.

In the span of a few months the country has gone to shit, Kenya is donating carrots while Ethiopia is donating pasta ffs. Meanwhile, HSM is funding tribes to massacre each other and engage in highway robbery.
Funding tribes to massacres each other and engage in highway robbery? What are you talking about?

I thought he was doing all that to fight Al Shabaab.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
it would make more sense for him to buy grain from regions that are unaffected by drought and famine and send it to regions that are not. That would be less unpopular and wouldn’t harm the fight against AS.

Unfortunately no one is interested in sending money, only grain and weapons.

There are no regions in Somalia that are not affected by drought.
Somalia imports ~90% of its cereal consumption.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
There should be no famine declaration. Very embarrassing for Somalia and we get enough aid anyway.

Also ffs send back those refuges from Bay

subxanallah, I have a soft spot for children. Couldn't this permanently change our demographic like the great famine in Ireland? They went from 8 million in 1841 to 5.4 million in 1871. Seriously I thought that it was the UN, WHO, or some external organization that would declare famine, but it is the FGS, what are they waiting for? This seriously makes me emotional, to see so many kids starving, and so many cute girls dying. May Allah shower us with rain, and may Allah forgive those who died. It's a sad state of affairs.

There should be no famine declaration. Very embarrassing for Somalia and we get enough aid anyway.

Also ffs send back those refuges from Bay
Are you insane? you think more about reputation than a child dying of hunger, retract that statement immediatly. it is our own brothers and sisters starving. its 60% of our population who are reer badiye, even in the cities it is a horrible sight. I was in Xamar a month ago and the amount of beggars who knock on our doors in Darussalaam. I went to suuqa Bakarah and there children everywhere with no shoes. If declaring famine will safe these children and HSM refrains from declaring famine to save face, he is responsible for the death of all those children. As they say, famine is not a natural cause, but a political cause. We spend millions a day importing khat and almost a billion annually, but we are unable to feed those starving. yaab. I was becoming a little optimistic but it's just the same old story repeating itself. Also, the deal with coastline exploration is nothing but a few coins for all our resources, we will be paying 80% of the cost deducted from the little tiny revenue we receive. I was stupid to think HSM was finally gonna change the course of our situation and be the game changer. I thought he was politically matured. I really thought he had some plan or idea in mind signing off our oil with an shady company, with no history, no expertise basically a shadow company. He is either playing 5d chess or I will not insult the leader as it is haram.

Abu Bakrah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
I heard Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "He who insults the rulers Allah will insult him."

[At-Tirmidhi, who classified it as Hadith Hasan].

Again may Allah guide HSM and the leaders. I ask Allah that he will increase our fertility rate to 2 digits

Trending