How much Somali DNA does the average Oromo from hararghe or bale have ?

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
I know that they were dir Somalis originally who got assimilated 500 years ago anyone tell me how this happened?
They were defeated & allowed to join the Oromo ethnicity under the gada clan system. They also switched religions from Islam to waaqfino. They were later reconverted to Islam in the 19th century after the Egyptians conquered Harar

They were defeated & allowed to join the Oromo ethnicity under the gada clan system. They also switched religions from Islam to waaqfino. They were later reconverted to Islam in the 19th century after the Egyptians conquered Harar
Bro how'd you learn all of this? I always see you and a few other users commenting under posts like this

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
They weren't defeated at all they just were assimilated as they were outnumbered and everyone around them spoke af oromo

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
I know that they were dir Somalis originally who got assimilated 500 years ago anyone tell me how this happened?
They’re majority Somali in dna, just assimilated in language but their culture is just a highland version of Somali culture.

They weren't defeated at all they just were assimilated as they were outnumbered and everyone around them spoke af oromo
Do they know their ancestors were Somali, or have they been assimilated to the point where they think they've always been Oromo?

Do they know their ancestors were Somali, or have they been assimilated to the point where they think they've always been Oromo?
I think they might because when you compare an oromo from hararghe they look so different they have lighter skin and softer hair also taller compared to an oromo from western Ethiopia

I’m confused your saying they didn’t become Muslim when Ahmed gurey was spreading Islam in Ethiopia ?

Yami

Bro how'd you learn all of this? I always see you and a few other users commenting under posts like this
Sorry Maakhir I never got alerted for this post. I learned about this particular case from reading on the Egyptian occupation of harar. The Arabs were annoyed by some of the pagans surrounding Harar so they waged war on them until they accepted islam. Some of these pagan clans had assimilated Somalis among them (Afran Qollo)

BTW: You'll find out through the article below how Dir clans like Isaaq, Gadabuursi, and Ciise became a part of the british protectorate. It's a worthwhile read:

Here's also a facebook link from an Afran Qollo page detailing their clan structure and how they dealt with assimilated people.

Yami

I’m confused your saying they didn’t become Muslim when Ahmed gurey was spreading Islam in Ethiopia ?
No they were muslims then. They swapped religions from the 17th century to the 19th after Oromo's migrated and destroyed the Adal Sultanate. Ruling families established a new capital at Aussa in 1577 founding the Aussa Imamate after Harar's surroundings became dominated by Oromo. Civil war would soon strike between Harla and Arab factions in the imamate until Afars in the north invaded, assimilating the Harla's and exterminating the arabs.

During all of this Harar countryside was left to its own devices. Gadabuursi & Ciise were able to subdue the Oromo incursions into their territory while other clans like Harla weren't so lucky.

Sorry Maakhir I never got alerted for this post. I learned about this particular case from reading on the Egyptian occupation of harar. The Arabs were annoyed by some of the pagans surrounding Harar so they waged war on them until they accepted islam. Some of these pagan clans had assimilated Somalis among them (Afran Qollo)

BTW: You'll find out through the article below how Dir clans like Isaaq, Gadabuursi, and Ciise became a part of the british protectorate. It's a worthwhile read:

Here's also a facebook link from an Afran Qollo page detailing their clan structure and how they dealt with assimilated people.

No worries, thanks for the sources! I’m definitely going to bookmark this comment so I can read all the things that you posted

There are individuals who live in Oromia who would score 80-90% Somali blood if tested. I’m Karanle so I can only speak for them. The Oromo tribes we border in the north are Afran qallo including the Nole, Ala, Ittu, the western Oromo we border in Bale deep into Shewa are the Arusi, the Oromo in Nageyle are the Borana. There is a large Oromo group like the Karara who are Kaariye Karanle and if they were tested they would score 70-95% Somali if tested.

IMG_4320.jpeg

Here you see Karanle elder from Baabili mentioning all the Oromo tribes that are connected with the Hawiye as well as the demarcation between Hawiye and Oromo territory. Bulk of Hararghe Oromo are straight Somali 🀣

NidarNidar

Punisher
I think they might because when you compare an oromo from hararghe they look so different they have lighter skin and softer hair also taller compared to an oromo from western Ethiopia
Cause those western Oromo are mostly Habashi, I assume a large percentage of Haraghe Oromo have Semitic ancestry embedded into the Somali, so they'll on medium score higher on AEA.

Trending