How much does Somaliland spend on Khat? I find out

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somaliland Ministry of Finance published a year's end economic review of 2020.
Can be found in the Annual Economic Performance 2020, search "Kat".
https://slmof.org/reports/

They have since stopped reporting the volume and the value of imports.
Somaliland imports more Khat by value than rice and wheat put together!
Khat is the #1 import item, by far.

Khat is 11.9% of all imports by value
List of import items.png

Value of all imports is 17.15 trillion SL shillings or $2.45 billion
11.9% of $2.45 billion is $291.6 million dollars spent on Khat imports each year!

Import Value.png

How much is $291 million in comparison with Somaliland's economy?
It is a huge portion. Somaliland's entire gov budget in 2020 was 2.01 trillion SL shillings or $235.35 million
Revenue.png

Somaliland is a failed state. Its Khat imports are 20% larger than its budget.
This was three years ago at the height of the pandemic when khat imports had been slowed.
Who knows what it spend now.

Last edited:
I have a theory that the SNM started because Siyaad banned their thriving khat imports in the early 80's. I bet they lost a lot of money. The most notorious Chewheads in the Somali peninsula are from @Gadhwayne 's small marginalized clan.

Somaliland Ministry of Finance published a year's end economic review of 2020.
Can be found in the Annual Economic Performance 2020, search "Kat".
https://slmof.org/reports/

They have since stopped reporting the volume and the value of imports.
Somaliland imports more Khat by value than rice and wheat put together!
Khat is the #1 import item, by far.

Khat is 11.9% of all imports by value
View attachment 278939

Value of all imports is 17.15 trillion SL shillings or $2.45 billion
11.9% of $2.45 billion is $291.6 million dollars spent on Khat imports each year!

View attachment 278940

How much is $291 million in comparison with Somaliland's economy?
It is a huge portion. Somaliland's entire gov budget in 2020 was 2.01 trillion SL shillings or $235.35 million
View attachment 278941

Somaliland is a failed state. Its Khat imports are 20% larger than its budget.
This was three years ago at the height of the pandemic when khat imports had been slowed.
Who knows what it spend now.
This is rather grim, if distressing. With Qat trade being the biggest affliction upon the nation begetting a plethora of social, economic, and mental challenges, and for the data to be reflective, and meaningful at the national level, could we carry out the same analyses for other regions: from SSC to JL, and in between?

I have a theory that the SNM started because Siyaad banned their thriving khat imports in the early 80's. I bet they lost a lot of money. The most notorious Chewheads in the Somali peninsula are from @Gadhwayne 's small marginalized clan.
Well your theory is wrong as much as it's stupid because khat wad also being consumed by all Somalis. Siad Barre did not ban Khat but monopolized the Khat business in the north to his cronies.

Reborn
OP uses 2020 stats and totally lies about it not being reported again.I'll make thread detailing stats from the lastest report.

The very link he shared has the 2022 Trade Statistical Bulletin which shows significant reduction of Khat importation with it's value also detailed.

Khat is still king but covid, government intervention and cultural shifts from young people have reduced consumption.Also there's less money in people's pockets due to inflation so it ironically would have impacted Khat consumption.

I still don't get how OP could use 2020 numbers when there's 2022 statistics in the very link he shared.What do you expect from this OP who believes harti in the Somaliland region will outnumber Isaaq population due to "statistics" cooked up by NGO & Somali governments :mjlol:

Instead of spending hours researching on Somaliland do better with your life to contribute to data collection of such statistics in Puntland.

Last edited:

Trending