How many of you grew up in a single parent household?

Household Demographics

• Two parent

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Single parent (other parent is still alive)

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Single parent (other parent is deceased)

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

attash

Amaan Duule
The thread @Kisame made had me wondering about how common it truly was for Somali fathers to abandon their families. Some claim that a majority of households in our community are like this. However, most Somali households that I’ve seen have a present father, though I have seen cases of abandonment before.

SSpot provides a reasonable though limited sample size of Somali diaspora, so I thought to use it as a starting point for research about the frequency of this phenomenon in the wider community.

The results are anonymous.

SonOfMaverick

"I don’t live in darkness, darkness lives in me."
Most if not all of us grew up in two-parent households. The only people that complain and cry about Somali fathers/men are those Xaliimos with daddy issues.
:russ:

attash

Amaan Duule
Most if not all of us grew up in two-parent households. The only people that complain and cry about Somali fathers/men are those Xaliimos with daddy issues.
That’s what I suspected. Redditors were trying to gaslight me into thinking that 80% of Somali fathers are deadbeats :mjlol:

Projection is very real. Every Somali family I knew growing up had a present father in the household (but to be fair there weren’t many Somalis where I grew up). However I don’t deny that there are many with absent father figures. But the notion that most Somali households in the west are single-parent homes is beyond ludicrous.

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Most have a father present at home. The problem is that a decent amount of these niggas aren't really active father figures.

I Grew up with a single father only because mom passed away when I was young. I feel robbed out of having two parent household. my dad did his best considering what he had to deal with.

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
Projection is very real. Every Somali family I knew growing up had a present father in the household (but to be fair there weren’t many Somalis where I grew up). However I don’t deny that there are many with absent father figures. But the notion that most Somali households in the west are single-parent homes is beyond ludicrous.
Youre the ones who is Projecting This is a federated posting

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Many of us came from two-parent homes. However, let us not disparage those who didn't, as family formation is outside their control. Also, daddy or mommy issues are not gendered. Men with a single parent may also have challenges like their female counterparts. It would be interesting if you added another option for those of us who had a two-parent home with an emotionally available father compared to those who grew up in a two-parent home with one who was physically there but emotionally distant. Now, that would be intriguing.

Trending

Latest posts