Her Name is Hana

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Am listening to it it’s interesting so far @hamar_oo_iidil
BB57FD70-6868-49EC-A1CC-7342E447370B.jpeg

I can’t stop thinking of this story. I cried so much. May allah grant her mother jannah ❤️ and make it easier for us to be kind and gentle with others.

Idk why the sheikhs were saying its evil eye, why do they sum up everything to evil eye it makes no sense
Exactly. Mental health is so misunderstood by the old heads in our community. The way some elders deal with mental health is by assuming its the evil eye or sixir all the time.

I know two Somali brothers one in his mid-30s who when he went through a mental health episode the community claimed it was the product of being unmarried. So often a man with mental health issues is encouraged to get married as if that will not make things worse and place a sister in potential danger too.

I also know of another Somali brother, this one is in his early teens a young kid who grew up in Somalia without his parents. He lived with an aunt who was known to take drugs and live a wild lifestyle. The boy since then has been really traumatised by his experiences. He can't sleep longer than a few hours at night, and randomly breaks into tears during the day when remembering his past memories. He has short-term memory too and so he'll forget what I sent him to the store to buy or what we did yesterday. His father and mother separated when he was much younger and his father claims the boy has been afflicted with the evil eye and that its not a big deal. I feel the father is in denial of his son's own mental health issues

It not just about the evil eye, its our diet, our lifestyle choices, our thoughts - both internal and how we speak of and at one another. Not calling folks going through mental health issues 'crazies' but supporting them as best we can if not by anything else then by our comforting words. I wish I could have met habyar Hana before she passed (may Allah have mercy on her soul and grant her the highest rank in Jannah). It hurts me seeing our fellow Somalis having to go through this all alone and not be warmly embraced by our community

I can’t stop thinking of this story. I cried so much. May allah grant her mother jannah ❤️ and make it easier for us to be kind and gentle with others.
May Allah grant her mother and all our Habyar Hana the highest rank in Jannah and may her memory remain with us. I can't stop thinking about the story too. I also shed tears too

Also what was the reason she got depression I am still curious.
I am also curious about that too, she said her mother waited 6 months to see a doctor and within 2 minutes the doctor diagnosed her for depression but that she felt there were deeper issues affecting her mother. She didn't actually die of suicide though she made a very good attempt at it, she died of a stomach infection whilst in coma.

Theres so many failings on the part of the public health system that seems to be brushing all mental health issues with a single brush stroke. Its a failing on the part of our community and how we make it difficult for suffers to speak up and be heard. Its a failing on the part of us as men. She said how her father was away overseas but this wasn't appropriate imo - as a married man, if your wife is going through this kind of thing you need to be by her side. She also mentioned how on the day of her mothers' attempt she left her in the company of her brother who clearly did not keep an eye on his mother since she harmed herself when he was suppose to be looking after her. Theres a failing on the part of the religious community for not having any practical solutions to depression instead of force feeding more Qur'an saar and making suffers feel as though they are "cursed" or being test by Allah. Truth is everybody will at some point in their lives experience a mental health illness and the solutions lie in real science-based methods of treatment and community awareness.

This is also stupid, people act like getting married is gonna solve all ur issues,
somtimes I ask myself if they even think about what they are alking about or regurgitate this nonsense
This happens more often with Somali guys than girls as I've seen. Where a Somali man is clearly not mentally sound and yet the women around his mother keep telling her the reason her son is going through it is because he's single and that the comfort of a woman would lift him out of his depression. This can and often, almost is a major, major problem. Take this Somali girl's story for instance...
She basically had a child out of wedlock with a Somali guy who smoked a lot of weed and had mental health issues. He abused her throughout their relationship which later became a marriage. And his abuses weren't just physical they were through his abusive words. She mentions how he accused her of being a wh*re while he slept around with actual degenerates -this despite having a wife and a child at home.

Unfortunately he ran away to Somalia to inflict more harm on more girls.

As Somali men we have to do better. How on earth are we abusing our sisters. And also lets look at mental health from a Somali men's scope. Why is it so prevasive? Where I live (somewhere in the diaspora) every week I encounter a Somali man who is clearly mentally unwell. For instance the other week I went into a store and some Somali guy who was clearly out of his mind just started following me, it was really weird. Luckily I am a man who is pretty well built so I can defend myself but imagine if a Somali girl was in my position. Mental health is a fact of life I can't blame folks for going through things but the responsibility must and does lie in those of us sane Somali men to mobilise and organise so as to ensure our mentally unwell are not causing us societal harm. And also to root out the acculturated habits that are causing such severe mental health issues.

Trending

Latest posts