FOUNDER OF HARAR RELATED TO SULTAN OF MUGADISHU

• Aw Abadir, the founder of Harar is related to the first Sultan of Mogadisu Fakhr ad-Din. They are brothers, part of the "afarta timid".
1703302292658.png

1703302302323.png

https://books.google.be/books?hl=fr&id=s0Y_AQAAIAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Harar
https://books.google.be/books?id=i1...AgCEAM#v=onepage&q=Fakhr ad-Din harar&f=false

Does the text say they are descendants of Zuber ibn awaam? I was under the impression that the Abdair was a bakri decednded from Mohammed abu atiq ibn Abdirahman ibn Abu Bakar

Afarta timid is just an oral saying, Sultan Fakhruddin full name is Fakhruddin Al Qassani, Abadir is called Faqih Cumar bin Shamsuddin Al Bakri, Abadir being his nickname.

Cumar Diin in that screenshot ,is father of Dab and Qarsin which all the original sagaal clans descend from, has nothing to do with Fakhruddin Al Qassani. Nor does he have anything to do with Faqih Cumar Abadir, rather the confusion comes from Faqih Cumar having a grandson with same name, whom the rest cumardiin of sheekhaal aw qudub descend from.

Screenshot_20231223_213440.jpgScreenshot_20231223_213520.jpgScreenshot_20231223_213536.jpg

Does the text say they are descendants of Zuber ibn awaam? I was under the impression that the Abdair was a bakri decednded from Mohammed abu atiq ibn Abdirahman ibn Abu Bakar
The text is about Cumardiin who married Caasha Caleemo and is father of Dab and Qarsin not Cumardiin grandson of Faqih Cumar Abadir Al Bakri.

Also him being a zubayri is just one of the narrations, there's a narration of him being a descendant of digil which some elders beleive

Afarta timid is just an oral saying, Sultan Fakhruddin full name is Fakhruddin Al Qassani, Abadir is called Faqih Cumar bin Shamsuddin Al Bakri, Abadir being his nickname.

Cumar Diin in that screenshot ,is father of Dab and Qarsin which all the original sagaal clans descend from, has nothing to do with Fakhruddin Al Qassani. Nor does he have anything to do with Faqih Cumar Abadir, rather the confusion comes from Faqih Cumar having a grandson with same name, whom the rest cumardiin of sheekhaal aw qudub descend from.

View attachment 308524View attachment 308525View attachment 308526
If I am not mistaken, the rulers in Harar/Zeila and Mogadishu were closely linked and shared a strong relationship. I know the Makhzumi dynasty ruled Harar and Zeila. They also ruled Mogadishu. I would appreciate your insight.

If I am not mistaken, the rulers in Harar/Zeila and Mogadishu were closely linked and shared a strong relationship. I know the Makhzumi dynasty ruled Harar and Zeila. They also ruled Mogadishu. I would appreciate your insight.
I don't know during which dynasty they shared a strong relationship, but yes there was a link such as trade links and people going back and forth to seek knowledge.

I haven't heard or read of Makhzuumi dynasty ruling Muqdisho, however they did live there for centuries and still do till this day known as Reer Sheikh Al Makhzuumi, also the Makhzuumi's of muqdisho are different tribe to those of Harar and Zaylac.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
They did not rule Harar or Zeila and they most definitely were not anywhere near Mogadishu, that’s Ifat and Adal Sultanate. Makhzumi dynasty was in the highlands of Ethiopia. @Garaad diinle is this not so?

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
They did not rule Harar or Zeila and they most definitely were not anywhere near Mogadishu, that’s Ifat and Adal Sultanate.
Makhzumi dynasty was in the highlands of Ethiopia. @Garaad diinle is this not so?
Your completely right, the makhzumi ruling dynasty that ended in the latter half of the 13th century had their base in shewa on the ethiopian highlands where they were defeated by the walashma descendants of aw barkhadle. Harar itself was only a thing in the early 16th century when sultan mahammed of the walashma changed his capital from dakar to harar. There is no mention of harar prior to this.

Last edited:
They did not rule Harar or Zeila and they most definitely were not anywhere near Mogadishu, that’s Ifat and Adal Sultanate. Makhzumi dynasty was in the highlands of Ethiopia. @Garaad diinle is this not so?
One of the initial points of Islamic penetration on the Somali coast was Zeila. The Banu Makhzum entered the port of Zeila in the 7th century and began to spread Islam to the communities residing in the interior. Zeila was an active trading port at the time of Banu Makhzum. Zeila was a very strategic and wealthy port town. It was a gateway for internal and external trade for the kingdom of Shewa.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Your completely right, the makhzumi ruling dynasty that ended in the latter half of the 13th century had their base in shewa on the ethiopian highlands where they were defeated by the walashma descendants of aw barkhadle. Harar itself was only a thing in the early 16th century when sultan mahammed of the walashma changed his capital from dakar to harar. There is no mention of harar prior to this.
Makhzumi dynasty claims descent from Aw Barkhadle, so it’s likely that they were a branch of the Walashma’s.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
One of the initial points of Islamic penetration on the Somali coast was Zeila. The Banu Makhzum entered the port of Zeila in the 7th century and began to spread Islam to the communities residing in the interior.
The Makhzum were never in Zeila, Shewa traded with Zeila yet never controlled or resided in it.

Makhzumi dynasty claims descent from Aw Barkhadle, so it’s likely that they were a branch of the Walashma’s.
na the Banu Makhzum are a qureyshi clan they reside in Saudi and Yemen and they claim descent from Umar bin Makhzum. They still live there to this day although they have some descendants in Xamar and Shewa. Their lineage to aw barkhadle could not be possible since aw barkhadle was a horner and born much later than Umar bin Makhzum.

The text is about Cumardiin who married Caasha Caleemo and is father of Dab and Qarsin not Cumardiin grandson of Faqih Cumar Abadir Al Bakri.

Also him being a zubayri is just one of the narrations, there's a narration of him being a descendant of digil which some elders beleive
So the sheekhals are decendend from a grandson of the Abdair with the same name. I had my suspicions that might have been the case. As the Abdair had 6 sons whose names didn’t align with the sheekhal sub clans. Do you have the lineage from the fiqi omar the sheekals are decendend from to the abdair?

The Makhzum were never in Zeila, Shewa traded with Zeila yet never controlled or resided in it.
The Makhazoomis were the predominant islamic power in all of east africa in the 11th ceuntry. The ifat sultante was a minor power, until the Adal branch of the walshama dynasty took over. The dynasty was relatively weak, they would spend most of the centuries from their founding to Sabr ad din II as tributaries of the Abyssinians. There rise came when the capitol would move to Harar. The branch of the reer walshama residing in the city were far more militant.

The Walshama at the end of the day were urban elites. Trade was there main concern. They probably would have stayed tributaries if the Abyssinians didn’t have designs on their sovereignty.

Remember that Sabr ad din would loose in his rebellion against his Liege lord the Emperor of abysinnia. His 10 sons would flee to yeman drumming up support to return. They would land in modern day somaliland and recover their lost lands.

na the Banu Makhzum are a qureyshi clan they reside in Saudi and Yemen and they claim descent from Umar bin Makhzum. They still live there to this day although they have some descendants in Xamar and Shewa. Their lineage to aw barkhadle could not be possible since aw barkhadle was a horner and born much later than Umar bin Makhzum.
The Makhzuumi's in south are from a different tribe than makhzuumi's elsewhere, They're only related distantly

So the sheekhals are decendend from a grandson of the Abdair with the same name. I had my suspicions that might have been the case. As the Abdair had 6 sons whose names didn’t align with the sheekhal sub clans. Do you have the lineage from the fiqi omar the sheekals are decendend from to the abdair?
Sheekhaal aw qudub descend from son of abadir , Aw qudub. Aw qudub had 6 sons Cumar Siyaad, Cumar Diin, two Abdallah and Siddiq. I haven't seen any sources mention Abadirs sons so far. Also there's silte's that claim Abadir is their ancestor .

20230407_003046.jpg

This is Sheikh Abdullah Al Qudubi's abtirsi, he's sheekhaal aw qudub, reer cumar siyaad. There's other sheekhaals in galbeed like sheekhaal Cali cafiif but I haven't seen their abtirsi

Trending

Latest posts