"Fake News"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately in the past few weeks this buzzword "fake news" has been thrown around a lot by the mainstream media. With the rise of Social media the elites monopoly on info has been broken, any ordinary person can share information to millions of others without the need of owning your own media company or having to go to a middleman who can censor or dismiss you, and they have realized how damaging that is with Brexit and Halyeey Trump's win in the face of strong mainstream media bias.

The EU has proposed combating Russian propaganda and other misinformation by setting up a taskforce and the Germans have also called for one ahead of the coming elections. In the next few years you are going to see a curb in free speech and an increase in censorship with these bogus claims of fake news as a pretext. You will also likely see an increase in outrageous fake news peddled by state actors as they try and undermine the truth on the web.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38417757

-TheUnderTaker
Informing the Sheeple one sheep at a time

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
I got freaked out when Facebook decided to join in and censored all 'fake news' stories

Sounds kinda Orwellian to me or perhaps I'm just being paranoid

@TheUnderTaker

Watch this, it's interesting:

It's a great informative video and I agree with many of things said but I still think it's not the government's job to be telling us what is fake news or not. That is a slippery slope that threatens free speech. Like he said at the end of the video, the individual should do research.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
It's a great informative video and I agree with many of things said but I still think it's not the government's job to be telling us what is fake news or not. That is a slippery slope that threatens free speech. Like he said at the end of the video, the individual should do research.
100% agree. I liked the idea of subscription based news compare to ad based news. However, if the news is subscription based, it can also be an echo chamber too as if you challenge your sheeps, they might not support you anymore. So, I don't think any of it will be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts