Erasing somalis from harar chronicles?

I was reading this article about three of the main chronicles about harars history, nd in the conclusion that I screenshotted hhere, theymention how the chronicles were rrewritten, possiblyas many as five times ! Which was wild and to me lends more credence to the idea that as the local identity changed, people tried to change the history. But you'd think these guys should be moe curious about why somalks don't appear in the chronicles more . Considering we made up the vast majority of the muslims in the region.
Screenshot_20240417_224031_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lots of books got burned in Harar during Haile Selassie, lots of history deleted. Although I think Dr. Sherif has a copy of Kitab Al Fara’id, interesting book.

In the screenshot you posted. I see no mentions of erasure of Somalis at all in the chronicles or local identities changing. It does talk about the chronology of when the different chronicles were written in the late 16th century and the rewriting of it in later periods. Which is important in determining it's reliability and accuracy.

They covers the History of Harar and Awsa in a breif period post Futuh, in the second half of the 1500s. When the political factions of Awdal split into two after the conquest.

I've read that in some versions of Tarikh Al-Muluk and other texts it mentions ''Sumal'' a few times , what is significant is that it uses the term ''Soomaal'' in the same way that the Futuh chronicle does and not how the name came to be used in the 19th century.

izDBREL.png

Other than this, the chronicles don't mention peoples Occupational/Tribal/Clan identities much at all and are more centered around the different political power struggles, turmoil and movements taking place especially by state actors and not the common people.

Last edited: