Early Muslims in the Horn had a cosmopolitan halal diet

If you remember my post in the Shimbiris thread, I used that study that article was based on to highlight how Somalis were the earliest settlers, that the slaughtering of halal practice preceded the building of mosques, and that it debunked this notion that pastoralists became Muslims many centuries later. It shows that before even the age of big construction in that region, the Somali geeljire was present before sedentary bricklaying for urbanism.

World

VIP
why would this in any way prohibit the spread of the deen? rather this provides a way to intake protein in a halal manner which builds muscle
They found 50,000 animal remains butchered according to Islam/halal dating back to the 8th-9th century, along with fish imported from coast. Basically the earliest mosques or muslim burial sites discovered by archaeologists were from 12th century so this is evidence that Islam was very widespread deep inside the interior within 100-200 years of Islam.

They found 50,000 animal remains butchered according to Islam/halal dating back to the 8th-9th century, along with fish imported from coast. Basically the earliest mosques or muslim burial sites discovered by archaeologists were from 12th century so this is evidence that Islam was very widespread deep inside the interior within 100-200 years of Islam.
Oh I misunderstood. I thought he meant due to this the spread of the deen was hindered but he meant islam was spread much earlier than we think

Oh I misunderstood. I thought he meant due to this the spread of the deen was hindered but he meant islam was spread much earlier than we think
The claim of cosmopolitism came from the notion that pig remains were excavated somewhere in the broader area where halal slaughter took place. From that evidence, the assumption was that new non-Islamic people came and settled as a potential sub-structure of the already predominant Muslim demographic from a population perspective (Somalis, basically), forming new layers of diversity (I think these were very small in number initially since they incorporated hunting to their lives, similar to how Gaboye are demographically minor relative to non-Gaboye Somali). Why do I think this? Because the swine was not domesticated, merely a hunting consequence of later phases, and the amount was also very minor by percentage.

I think the Somalis kept a people close to them similar to the dynamics of Gaboye but that they were practically the "polluted" types that did not adhere to the strict Islamic dietary laws, as they probably were not Muslims and ethnically distinct. We have such dynamics all over Ethiopia, to this day as well, presenting this phenomenon as a high likelihood shaped by dominant Somali Muslims subjecting a contract with a small group that moved upon the land and settled.

The Muslims operated not very far away from the non-Muslims who hunted wild suids near the region. But the earliest slaughter of camels and general Islamic slaughter was in the earliest layers, evidence of which highlights the warthog/bushpig hunters came after to the area inhabited by Muslims between 11 and mid-13th century AD.

The claim of cosmopolitism came from the notion that pig remains were excavated somewhere in the broader area where halal slaughter took place. From that evidence, the assumption was that new non-Islamic people came and settled as a potential sub-structure of the already predominant Muslim demographic from a population perspective (Somalis, basically), forming new layers of diversity (I think these were very small in number initially since they incorporated hunting to their lives, similar to how Gaboye are demographically minor relative to non-Gaboye Somali). Why do I think this? Because the swine was not domesticated, merely a hunting consequence of later phases, and the amount was also very minor by percentage.

I think the Somalis kept a people close to them similar to the dynamics of Gaboye but that they were practically the "polluted" types that did not adhere to the strict Islamic dietary laws, as they probably were not Muslims and ethnically distinct. We have such dynamics all over Ethiopia, to this day as well, presenting this phenomenon as a high likelihood shaped by dominant Somali Muslims subjecting a contract with a small group that moved upon the land and settled.

The Muslims operated not very far away from the non-Muslims who hunted wild suids near the region. But the earliest slaughter of camels and general Islamic slaughter was in the earliest layers, evidence of which highlights the warthog/bushpig hunters came after to the area inhabited by Muslims between 11 and mid-13th century AD.
lotta words i dont even understand big man.

can u explain what gaboye is and summarize ur point in easier english pls

ah yes ik the madhiban. sure, ill try. ill explain what I think you meant, tell me if im wrong when ur less busy. I have difficulty understanding as english isnt my first language
I will explain later. Don't worry about it; don't stress. Don't wait for it but expect it. :pachah1:

so ur saying a kafir population entered upon somali land and the somalis allowed these kufffar to settle and hunt game? proof of this being the remains of swine near evidence of cosmopolitan diet.

what benefit does this bring the somali muslims? also, would it be possible that these people are the ancestors of the rendille, known to some as reer diin-diid?

so ur saying a kafir population entered upon somali land and the somalis allowed these kufffar to settle and hunt game? proof of this being the remains of swine near evidence of cosmopolitan diet.

what benefit does this bring the somali muslims? also, would it be possible that these people are the ancestors of the rendille, known to some as reer diin-diid?
Hunter gatherer are useful in sourcing certain animal skins, crafting etc and they probably themselves purchased items from the Muslims,.the whole of horn Africa was one big inter connected trade system.

and no, they weren’t Rendille. Could have been one of many extinct or absolved groups.

Hunter gatherer are useful in sourcing certain animal skins, crafting etc and they probably themselves purchased items from the Muslims,.the whole of horn Africa was one big inter connected trade system.

and no, they weren’t Rendille. Could have been one of many extinct or absolved groups.
wouldnt need (alleged) kuffar for this though. Also, why would somali, of whom many were probably nomads at the time, need stuff like animals skins from others. crafting etc was done by the tumaal no?

also, dk whether pigs itself is a good enough proof that those ppl were kuffar

This doesn’t have to necessarily be a “kuffar” population living amongst Somalis, it could just be Somalis blending their old pagan beliefs with Islam, which was common throughout many Islamic societies especially those who converted peacefully

This doesn’t have to necessarily be a “kuffar” population living amongst Somalis, it could just be Somalis blending their old pagan beliefs with Islam, which was common throughout many Islamic societies especially those who converted peacefully
I don't think we ate pigs even before Islam.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Christians don't eat it. A lot of neighbouring peoples had taboos against it even in Rwanda only very recently has pork been introduced. Islam in the Horn was preceded by Judaism and Christianity and both were anti-pork. In the Middle East, pork becomes rare after 1000BC

I don't know if some hunter gatherer people may have eaten meat from wild warthogs but besides that I don't think so.

Last edited:
I don't think we ate pigs even before Islam.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Christians don't eat it. A lot of neighbouring peoples had taboos against it even in Rwanda only very recently has pork been introduced. Islam in the Horn was preceded by Judaism and Christianity and both were anti-pork. In the Middle East, pork becomes rare after 1000BC

I don't know if some hunter gatherer people may have eaten meat from wild warthogs but besides that I don't think so.
From the fauna assemblages found all over the Somali peninsula during the Somali period (before Islam even), no warthog/bushpig was found. It is safe to say that our ancestors were always particular in excluding certain meat (some meat had exceptions at times like seafood and bird, only they were generally also within the taboo range, but not completely excluded like the pig).

Secondly, it is the nature of how the suids appeared. They surfaced in negligible quantities as a peripheral element through the consequence of hunting in the second phase and subsequent - mind you accompanying other animals also never eaten by geeljire before or after Islam. Those were caught through a hunting practice that was outsourced to specialized groups in Ethiopia and Somalis, and not even limited to distinct groups but often demographically small sub-groups within Cushitic, Omotic, and even Semitic, referred to as so-called "pollutants" that were eating "impure meat" - who had a dynamic where they would do specific work like go catch bovid for resources of hide, skin, etc., not for meat. If Somalis ate this, not only would you see this salient on our lands, but you would see an attempt at domestication because hunting is not something you suddenly pick up, neither do Somalis break food practice and subsistence ideology just for food they consider inferior in an area where other meat was abundant, especially when they were very particular in slaughtering halaal. As you rightly pointed out, the Christians in Ethiopia refrained from eating pig.

I have mentioned before that mixed-pastoral and hunting practices were incorporated at various times in the Somali peninsula during pre-Islamic days. However, when one observes the taxa data, the evidence never shows warthog or bushpig.

wouldnt need (alleged) kuffar for this though. Also, why would somali, of whom many were probably nomads at the time, need stuff like animals skins from others. crafting etc was done by the tumaal no?

also, dk whether pigs itself is a good enough proof that those ppl were kuffar
I had a pdf about Cushitic loan words in Harar. The word Boon with a similar meaning to Somali was listed on there. This is good evidence of a Somali group encountering Hunter gatherers in the area mentioned.

Trending