EAC to assess Somalia’s readiness to join regional bloc

The East African Community (EAC) will send a verification mission to Somalia this month to assess the country’s readiness to join the regional bloc, the EAC said in a statement.

CAB48467-6653-4F05-BB34-1B3705D30C34.jpeg

F2A01A6B-D3D0-4CF5-8310-8434CA9993D1.jpeg

We have to swallow our pride and accept HSM knows what is best for our country. I support EAC
I support EAC as well, but I don’t however support in adopting their EAC “currency”. We should stick with the $USD until we have our own reformed Somali Shilling.

f*ck the EAC, what's the point of joining an economic and cultural block in which all these countries have the goal of eventually becoming a single state?

They aim to share a common currency, and have a common lingua franca. We will be cultural and ethnic minorities in this block. Look at how poorly the Kenyan government treats its Somali citizens, and Somalia in general. We will be signing up for just a larger more powerful version of the Kenyan government.

Wlh I would be more willing to join a block with Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Who voted for this?

This is high treason.

Something like this needs a referendum.

No one voted for this corrupt parliament and hsm.

They were selected by foreigners.

The country makes nothing, no economy in any sense. You have a corrupt cabal that just runs one city, imports billions even things like sugar that it can make and they decide to join a bloc that will dump trade on it.

Stupid country and people!

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Like what? I’m not a fan of the acting like one whole country thing in the future but joining it will massively boost our economy

It’s basically the Swahili club, run unofficially by Kenya.

Rwanda and South Sudan kowtowed to Kenya and introduced Swahili in their country.

That isn’t my main issue, however. I have a problem with how South Sudan in a state of anarchy was allowed in but Somalia was denied when we applied numerous times.

My other issue is that the EAC will see foreign goods flood our market. Our agriculture sector and any little manufacturing we have will suddenly have to compete against cheaper goods.

Their visa-free plan will see a lot of our best and brightest leave the country and see a lot of foreigners come and compete for jobs.

That’s just off the top of my head, I wouldn’t have these problems if Somalia had a better economy but we’re levels behind Kenya.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Somalis are an entrepreneurial people, after having access to the 100s millions of people we'll dethrone europeans and asians from EAC states.

Dude if we join the EAC, Somalis will use that to open businesses in Kenya and Tanzania.

Any Somali uni graduate will leave the country to try work in Nairobi or Dar Es Salaam or Kigali or Kampala.

It’s basically a “leave Somalia for free” ticket.

EAC isn’t a good idea, way more negatives than positives.
If you don’t mind me asking, what negatives would this bring about ?. Hopefully free movement isn’t in the cards, apart from that it looks like it’ll take our economy to the next level.

f*ck the EAC, what's the point of joining an economic and cultural block in which all these countries have the goal of eventually becoming a single state?

They aim to share a common currency, and have a common lingua franca. We will be cultural and ethnic minorities in this block. Look at how poorly the Kenyan government treats its Somali citizens, and Somalia in general. We will be signing up for just a larger more powerful version of the Kenyan government.

Wlh I would be more willing to join a block with Ethiopia and Eritrea.
Interesting points you’ve made. Something to think about indeed, hopefully it’ll never come to that.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
If you don’t mind me asking, what negatives would this bring about ?. Hopefully free movement isn’t in the cards, apart from that it looks like it’ll take our economy to the next level.

How it will take our economy to the next level when we have next to nothing to export??

All it will do is make imports solidified in our markets and make the barrier to entry for Somali entrepreneurs even harder.

Furthermore, if we join the EAC, Somalia will be handicapped in taxing Khat since it’ll be an import from an EAC nation.

This is only going to destroy our country and bring us no benefit, we share nothing in common with these other countries and al shabab have not even be defeated. The country's wealth will be stolen and we would be exploited.

Laagite

الداروودي
It’s basically the Swahili club, run unofficially by Kenya.

Rwanda and South Sudan kowtowed to Kenya and introduced Swahili in their country.

That isn’t my main issue, however. I have a problem with how South Sudan in a state of anarchy was allowed in but Somalia was denied when we applied numerous times.

My other issue is that the EAC will see foreign goods flood our market. Our agriculture sector and any little manufacturing we have will suddenly have to compete against cheaper goods.

Their visa-free plan will see a lot of our best and brightest leave the country and see a lot of foreigners come and compete for jobs.

That’s just off the top of my head, I wouldn’t have these problems if Somalia had a better economy but we’re levels behind Kenya.
You're overreacting, yes Somalis will leave but they'll come back and bring whatever trades they picked up in other countries along with them.

Trending