Donald Trump voters are the minority: How would the US look with proportional voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both countries use first-past-the-post systems which sadly distort the vote. Under a proportional system the vote by citizens close match the results. Example if 40 % voted republican, republicans would get 40 % of the seats. It would lead to drastically different results in US and Canada.

Parliament1.png

Parliament2.png

Canada under proportional system:
PhBr72e.png

Both countries use first-past-the-post systems which sadly distort the vote. Under a proportional system the vote by citizens close match the results. Example if 40 % voted republican, republicans would get 40 % of the seats. It would lead to drastically different results in US and Canada.

Parliament1.png

Parliament2.png

Canada under proportional system:
PhBr72e.png
Republicans don't deserve equal representation.

They are they minority in the country therefore deserve representation equal to their constituents.

Republicans don't deserve equal representation.

They are they minority in the country therefore deserve representation equal to their constituents.

Democrats won more votes than republicans but still lost the house due to gerrymandering. Proportional voting removes the need for gerrymandering and insures that a person can't win if 60 % of the vote is split.

Democrats won more votes than republicans but still lost the house due to gerrymandering. Proportional voting removes the need for gerrymandering and insures that a person can't win if 60 % of the vote is split.
Exactly even more devastating when republicans in southern states like North Carolina and Indiana oppress voters.

By moving polling places, closing down early voting places, having strict ID requirements, etc.

Republicans know they'll never get an actual majority of the votes so they do everything in their power to break the law oppressing and disenfranchising voters.

Exactly even more devastating when republicans in southern states like North Carolina and Indiana oppress voters.

By moving polling places, closing down early voting places, having strict ID requirements, etc.

Republicans know they'll never get an actual majority of the votes so they do everything in their power to break the law oppressing and disenfranchising voters.

It is ridiculous how hard it is for my family in the US to vote. I get a mailing-ballot and a polling place, and I can vote in 3 weeks of early voting or come election day.

It is ridiculous how hard it is for my family in the US to vote. I get a mailing-ballot and a polling place, and I can vote in 3 weeks of early voting or come election day.
It's a state by state basis.

In my beloved majority liberal state of Minnesota voting is not a problem for me.

They have early voting places everywhere, same day voting registration, and if you registered ahead of time you don't need an ID.

The other states are not so generous.
Akaas.

It's a state by state basis.

In my beloved majority liberal state of Minnesota voting is not a problem for me.

They have early voting places everywhere, same day voting registration, and if you registered ahead of time you don't need an ID.

The other states are not so generous.
Akaas.

That is your problem, it should never be a state issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.