Brain science & why young, non-religious, Somali Americans join ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
@Sultana

Lack of identity is very much the huge factor in this, although there are other factors like others highlighted, this one seems to explain why in larger proportions to other ethnicities/nationalities.

Like I said this is no different to why somali North American youth are more prone to urban vices (drugs,gang life violence). Same reason lack of cultural identity. So they attach themselves to all sorts of destructive crap to fill that void.

That and the fact that they are irreligious makes them prone to pseudo religious brainwashing.

Spot on. Many of them join gangs or participate in urban street culture, but find that it still does not fill their void so they turn towards something more familiar ( Islam ) and are ripe for brainwashing.

@Jasmin96 I agree, but the article was geared towards the American/western audience who think radicalization is as simple as the Quran teaching violence. lol

Sultana

On Hiatus
I never said that the lack of identity they have wasn't involved. I just thought that the arguments that were brought up by the article lacked nuance. It's pretty obvious that any individual who lacks an identity will latch onto anything that makes them feel like they belong.

somali americans have a serious dillema.
for one, if they identify with arabs they will be always be marginalised with the arabs and still end up fighting and blowing themselves for arabs lost cause.
if they identify with the blacks then they wont survive longer in their gang and drug culture so either way they will have difficult time in america.
my suggestion? ship em to somalia and let em build their countries.
but i am afraid with their rejection scars and broken souls, that they will be in another shithole. they mighy prolly worsen somalias problem. theyre better off in america imho

This is why I want a stronger Cultural & Sufi religious identity for somalis. I don't say what i say for chauvinistic reasons like many assume.

People forget how identity is very crucial.

Last edited:
I agree, but the article was geared towards the American/western audience who think radicalization is as simple as the Quran teaching violence. lol[/QUOTE]

@Duchess Ohhhh. Yeah. Got it.. Anyways, this is only a issue in the somali-american community, so I should not care.. my somali people are considered a model minority over here

Last edited:
This is why I want a stronger Cultural & Sufi religious identity for somalis. I don't say what say for chauvinistic reasons like many assume.

People forget how identity is very crucial.

what does sufism look like? in somalia sufi means wax waalan! no shit.
that kadyrov punk from russias chechen is a sufi and you know how the UN and human rights watch blame him for hrave human attrocities!

somali americans have a serious dillema.
for one, if they identify with arabs they will be always be marginalised with the arabs and still end up fighting and blowing themselves for arabs lost cause.
if they identify with the blacks then they wont survive longer in their gang and drug culture so either way they will have difficult time in america.
my suggestion? ship em to somalia and let em build their countries.
but i am afraid with their rejection scars and broken souls, that they will be in another shithole. they mighy prolly worsen somalias problem. theyre better off in america imho

Ship them to Somalia? Are they garbage and do you think our homeland is a garbage truck you just dump people into?

No sending them to Somalia is not a wise thing to do, from what I've heard and seen at this point and most certainly not the answer to our problems.

But Somalia the country itself improving and being a basis for promotion & revival of Somali Cultural & distinct religious Identity is more helpful. Perhaps will levitate the problem.

They should be able to identify with other Somalis the fact that they find a hard time in doing so should tell you a lot. Maybe introducing Somali language classes in the west will help a lot. Idk

[USER
=403]@Jasmin96[/USER] small country where winter lasts 9 months!!

Yes, lol...Anyways, I will say that over here, we know who we are.We are a small community, so we dont have any other option, but to stick togheter.

Over here, It does not matter if we are born here, we still consider ourself somali, and most of us speak the somali language fluently. However, we still assimilate to this country, speak their native language too, and contribute to society. We know how to balance it..

I have seen some kids in the US\Canada who barely can speak their own language, and lost their roots..I guess, that's the main difference between my people and somali-americans\somali-canadians.We know who we are, and you guys dont...

Last edited:
Yes, lol...Anyways, I will say that over here, we know who we are.We are a small community, so we dont have any other option, but to stick togheter.

Over here, It does not matter if we are born here, we still consider ourself somali, and most of us speak the somali language fluently. However, we still assimilate to this country, speak their native language too, and contribute to society. We know how to balance it..

I have seen some kids in the US\Canada who barely can speak their own language, and lost their roots..I guess, that's the main difference between my people and somali-americans\somali-canadians.We know who we are, and you guys dont...

@Jasmin96 well u sound like a fine wine!
halkaa kaga hay. ur good sxb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending