Are we losing our culture

More people are wearing Arab things, and people are starting to not speak Somali at all and instead speak Arabic, these are the same people that look down at us as if we’re inferior, why do we keep doing this to our culture??

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
We already lost it, too late now. In their minds they think by copying arabs from head to toe will make them more muslim, you can't undo this brainwashing

Yes we are definitely, i am fluent in Arabic reading and writing wasted years of learning deen and Arabic. My reading and writing skills in Somali is like 4 years old. Thanks to my family. Our culture is being wiped out. I keep seeing relatives from the west coming to the country I am living in to learn deen and Arabic, salafi boys coming like hundreds and hundreds some of them even graduated from universities and are engineers, my question is why???? there was Somali man who is an engineer left everything in the west to learn deen, why not go back to Somalia and help it with your skills.

Yes we are definitely, i am fluent in Arabic reading and writing wasted years of learning deen and Arabic. My reading and writing skills in Somali is like 4 years old. Thanks to my family. Our culture is being wiped out. I keep seeing relatives from the west coming to the country I am living in to learn deen and Arabic, salafi boys coming like hundreds and hundreds some of them even graduated from universities and are engineers, my question is why???? there was Somali man who is an engineer left everything in the west to learn deen, why not go back to Somalia and help it with your skills.
It’s sad what’s happing to our culture wallahi

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
More people are wearing Arab things, and people are starting to not speak Somali at all and instead speak Arabic, these are the same people that look down at us as if we’re inferior, why do we keep doing this to our culture??

I agree with you, arabisation and westernisation is becoming more rampant. We wear suits and white wedding dress to our weddings, cultural revival needed. We should definitely know how to speak arabic though, helps us with our deen.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
I'll address your points one by one:
More people are wearing Arab clothes
I assume you mean the hijab and Qamiis. Both are which are Islamic clothings that have been worn in our culture since we embraced Islam roughly centuries ago.

People are starting to not speak Somali at all and instead speak Arabic
That's just simply not true. Somalis overwhelming speak Somali and the minority of the ones in the West who don't speak Somali well, speak English not Arabic.

The vibe I get is you saw maybe an isolated instance and projected that to be the norm.

Som

VIP
That's just you bro. Back home most people don't speak Arabic fluently and would never use it to replace af soomaali. I've never seen two somalis speaking Arabic to each other for no reason

Stop blaming your family for your Somali skills being trash. You have had many years to learn it yourself if you actually wanted to. Arab this or Arab that..really gets old. Stop being such a victim. Focus your attention on learning the dhaqan you wish other people would embrace.

It’s the people with the least Somali culture always talking about other nonsense.

That's just you bro. Back home most people don't speak Arabic fluently and would never use it to replace af soomaali. I've never seen two somalis speaking Arabic to each other for no reason
Because it’s only used as a means to an end. Nothing more nothing less.

Stop blaming your family for your Somali skills being trash. You have had many years to learn it yourself if you actually wanted to. Arab this or Arab that..really gets old. Stop being such a victim. Focus your attention on learning the dhaqan you wish other people would embrace.

It’s the people with the least Somali culture always talking about other nonsense.
What years? I have just turned twenty something and I was born in the 2000s and I was literally a kid just some time ago, and was listening to my parents in everything. I had no clue about my dhaqan, I have learnt a lot by wandering on the internet. Yes, I want to learn it when I have time and move to Somalia one day. I am not playing a victim, I am just sad that they don’t seem to care about us learning our culture. And yes you are right I don’t have to blame them on every mistake that I have, I am just pointing out this fact about Somali parents, that’s all. But I love them anyways.

What years? I have just turned twenty something and I was born in the 2000s and I was literally a kid just some time ago, and was listening to my parents in everything. I had no clue about my dhaqan, I have learnt a lot by wandering on the internet. Yes, I want to learn it when I have time and move to Somalia one day. I am not playing a victim, I am just sad that they don’t seem to care about us learning our culture. And yes you are right I don’t have to blame them on every mistake that I have, I am just pointing out this fact about Somali parents, that’s all. But I love them anyways.
I have no hate towards Arabs, most of them are friendly and helpful people. But I don’t like the god-like emphasis and thoughts we have about them. It is sad to still see Somali people thinking that our ancestors can be traced to the Arabs, I have met them a lot in real life, including my own family believes that. We can just be proud of who we are, without affiliating ourselves to people thinking that it would makes us feel better of ourselves. that’s important.

We already lost it, too late now. In their minds they think by copying arabs from head to toe will make them more muslim, you can't undo this brainwashing
Somali nationalism part may i ask where were you guys for the past years?

We didn't hear your voice 🤣🤣🤣

Why did you suddenly wake up

Celery

Vasodilator
Nothing wrong with Arabic dude. The problem is the inferiority complex and grovelling to Arabs. What I hate most is when they try to speak Arabic and their pronunciation of words is miserable.

GuanYu

Custom title
I am simply replying to the title. The simple answer is NO

As long we have Somalis in Somalia doing their thang,

We can send any one at risk of losing their somali identity straight to Baadiyo, that'll get their culture back in them!

Best to do it when they're young or early teens lmao cus after that they don't have the mental agility to hack it there anymore if they ain't feeling it, although they can live in cities but that's not experiencing the culture fully lol

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
I'll address your points one by one:
More people are wearing Arab clothes
I assume you mean the hijab and Qamiis. Both are which are Islamic clothings that have been worn in our culture since we embraced Islam roughly centuries ago.
khamis is arab culture not islamic

Trending