Ancient somali ritual hunting

I finally decided to buy sade mire book called divine fertility. I have to say I underestimated her . This book is mind blowing she brings so many different ideas and concepts together. I haven't even finished the book, but I'm sure this is the most important somali studies book of the last decade . This section I'm posting about is her speculating about the similarities between the buucr bayr and simialr anicnet south arabian traditions where she talks about a ritual hunting practice and masks and its connecting with sacred kingship . still done by the konso and seen in rock art in somalia and talked about in a book about southern arabia
@daljirkadahsoon @Idilinaa

These are the photos
1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

I keep trying to upload the pictures but it's saying there too large. What the hell happened to this site.

I finally decided to buy sade mire book called divine fertility. I have to say I underestimated her . This book is mind blowing she brings so many different ideas and concepts together. I haven't even finished the book, but I'm sure this is the most important somali studies book of the last decade . This section I'm posting about is her speculating about the similarities between the buucr bayr and simialr anicnet south arabian traditions where she talks about a ritual hunting practice and masks and its connecting with sacred kingship . still done by the konso and seen in rock art in somalia and talked about in a book about southern arabia
Nah I remember going through this book but I didn't really pay too much attention to this. Let me go and see what it says- do you know what pages it was on.

I don't like everything Sada says but she always brings interesting stuff

It's saytannic worship and they sacrifice to shaitan so he can delute humans into thinking they are performing super natural rituals.

It's an interesting book for sure. Sade Mire is an archeologist who uses archeology to understand cultural heritage. Her main focus throughout the book is on the Aw Barkhadle shrine in Somaliland and uses it to propose the far-reaching impact of an archaeologically attested Eastern Cushitic ritual complex with an emphasis on fertility.
ihyX5mB.jpeg

9xvLqey.jpeg

Somali style burial tombs near the Aw Barkhadle shrine.

Outside of this grand narrative, at it's core the book presents significant new material for example:

How the archeology of Aw Barkhadle fits within the medieval political landscape. It was a walled town whose remains features traces of a stone wall surrounding it , ruined houses, and couple of mosques and tombs. The old town in which the shrine is located is called ''Doggor'' or Dakkar which was the name of Awdal capital in the 15-16th century.
7L4Bklz.png

bksmAh1.png

This connection is confirmed in the local chronicles from the 13th and 16th century.
UIqJCAx.png

How it relates to a synchronism of pasts practices, religions (christianity, pagan(waaq), islam) , pre-history, legends, rituals in one shared space.
J33Rify.png

Another interesting thing she points out elsewhere is how ''Awdal'' means ''The Land of Saints" in the Somali language. Aw(Saint) + Dal(Land) and how the walled town of Dakkar/Doggor was a pre-cursor to Harar. You prolly find this interesting @Shimbiris

JyS66Tf.png

Last edited:
It's an interesting book for sure. Sade Mire is an archeologist who uses archeology to understand cultural heritage. Her main focus throughout the book is on the Aw Barkhadle shrine in Somaliland and uses it to propose the far-reaching impact of an archaeologically attested Eastern Cushitic ritual complex with an emphasis on fertility.
ihyX5mB.jpeg

9xvLqey.jpeg

Outside of this grand narrative, at it's core the book presents significant new material for example:

How the archeology of Aw Barkhadle fits within the medieval political landscape. It was a walled town whose remains features traces of a stone wall surrounding it , ruined houses, and couple of mosques and tombs. The old town in which the shrine is located is called ''Doggor'' or Dakkar which was the name of Awdal capital in the 15-16th century.
7L4Bklz.png

bksmAh1.png

This connection is confirmed in the local chronicles from the 13th and 16th century.
UIqJCAx.png

How it relates to a synchronism of pasts practices, religions (christianity, pagan(waaq), islam) , pre-history, legends, rituals in one shared space.
J33Rify.png

Another interesting thing she points out elsewhere is how ''Awdal'' means ''The Land of Saints" in the Somali language. Aw(Saint) + Dal(Land) and how the walled town of Dakkar/Doggor was a pre-cursor to Harar. You prolly find this interesting @Shimbiris

JyS66Tf.png
I really how she situated in a wider context which makes it easy to understand what a symbol or a certain practice means. It definitely take me a long time to full digest the book. I really like the idea of cushitic institutions that she uses. I think page 119-121 where she talks about the idea of ritualist hunts where probably a thing and that she mentions this is a practice in southern arabia along with the phallic stones makes me think it hints at older afroasiatic cultural practices.

NidarNidar

Punisher
ihyX5mB.jpeg

9xvLqey.jpeg

7L4Bklz.png

bksmAh1.png

UIqJCAx.png

J33Rify.png

JyS66Tf.png
This is good, hopefully, we can get some DNA testing done on the remains, which would finally put a rest to the whole debate.

This is good, hopefully, we can get some DNA testing done on the remains, which would finally put a rest to the whole debate.
on who where the Walashma were, the majority of us on here believe they were of Somali origin since we don't like being ruled by foreigners.
I don't think DNA testing on the site is going to ever happen because the local muriids wont allow you to dig up people's remains like that and distrub their resting place

It wont tell us much at all anyway but what will tell us a lot is the excavation of some of the buildings and near structures to get more of a closer look at their production.

I don't believe there is any doubt that Walashma are Somali if you read the actual sources on that period directly, they originated deep into Somali inhabited territories far north in Zeila and it's hinterland. They basically have Somali genealogical traditions, and throughout the chronicles they just lead an army of Bedouin/Somali tribes they have clan ties to, so you see ''Sultan and his Somals'' and retreat to live amongst them several times. That's not something a foreigners will do and an independent Somali bedouin is not going to go war for a foreigner, that's never happened.

The confusion about their identity comes from the fact the name ''Soomaal'' in the 16th century was not an ethnic name, it was an occupational name/identity: Futuh al-Habasha: Somalis As Bedouins
So a lot of Somalis as consequence aren't referred to as ''Somal'', you can see this even with Hirabu the Merahan leaders dad in the chronicles and other figures with Somali ethnic names and genealogy.

Last edited:
I really how she situated in a wider context which makes it easy to understand what a symbol or a certain practice means. It definitely take me a long time to full digest the book. I really like the idea of cushitic institutions that she uses. I think page 119-121 where she talks about the idea of ritualist hunts where probably a thing and that she mentions this is a practice in southern arabia along with the phallic stones makes me think it hints at older afroasiatic cultural practices.
Cushitic is used a bit too liberally in the book, but there is definitely a set beliefs and practices shared by groups that are related to eachother in the regions.

She actually mentions something about the ritual hunt that's connects to Southern Arabians which i found interesting. It's about the shared rainmaking tradition, how rain in both societies is associated with the welfare of the livestocks and crops , thus the welfare of people and how Somali xeer laws are much closer to pre-islamic Arabian laws.

ijWc6H6.png

Last edited:

Trending