[Aljazeera] Diaspora causing problems for the working class in Mogadishu.

Interested

Quite the Islamist.
Investment by the country’s sizeable diaspora has been flowing back pushing prices even higher. They prefer to buy land and build apartments.

A land broker in Xamar “Every month we break ground on at least seven properties. In 2019, we used to do one, if we were very lucky may be two properties. For most of our clients, it is purely for investment purpose. There is confidence in the market at the moment,” Bile, 42,

With the prices going sky-high, many are choosing to either move to the outskirts of the city or even to nearby towns, coming to Mogadishu in the morning and heading home at night.

Anas Jeylani used to live in Mogadishu but says the city has become unaffordable for him and his family. He moved to Afgoye, a town 30km (18.5 miles) away from the city.

“I work as a labourer on building sites. I used to earn $14 a day but now I take home $16. I can’t afford to pay rent, education and food for my family if I was to live in Mogadishu,” the husband of two wives and father-of-five told Al Jazeera. “Only the rich can afford to live in this city. Everyone else is either struggling or has moved somewhere else.”

For Mumtaz, the solution is for less people to move to the city.

“Every Somali wants to live in Mogadishu. Until that changes, I don’t see anything changing. Prices will keep going up,” she said.

Here is a long article about it:

bidenkulaha

GalYare
It’s good money. Investments we’ve made have x3 in the last few years. You can’t get this type of return anywhere in the world.

Mogadishu needs a lower population anyway. It will improve security and allow Shabellaha to grow as development spreads across the region

Is a blessing xamar will grow to be one big city from balcad to afgooye . Many diasporas made nice returns on plots myself included . Lands that was exclusively used for grazing in the outskirts of the city are now seeing houses popping up .

Lands In sinkadheer ceelasha that housed idps are now turning into gardens

good on the people investing in xamar. risk-takers deserve to be rewarded.

lets be honest most of the diaspora worldwide trace their life/childhood back to xamar. it is inevitable that xamar will get the most investments.

Interested

Quite the Islamist.
It’s good money. Investments we’ve made have x3 in the last few years. You can’t get this type of return anywhere in the world.

Mogadishu needs a lower population anyway. It will improve security and allow Shabellaha to grow as development spreads across the region
We need a little bit of that to trickle down to other Gobols or slums in the capital will be inevitable at this rate.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Investment by the country’s sizeable diaspora has been flowing back pushing prices even higher. They prefer to buy land and build apartments.

A land broker in Xamar “Every month we break ground on at least seven properties. In 2019, we used to do one, if we were very lucky may be two properties. For most of our clients, it is purely for investment purpose. There is confidence in the market at the moment,” Bile, 42,

With the prices going sky-high, many are choosing to either move to the outskirts of the city or even to nearby towns, coming to Mogadishu in the morning and heading home at night.

Anas Jeylani used to live in Mogadishu but says the city has become unaffordable for him and his family. He moved to Afgoye, a town 30km (18.5 miles) away from the city.

“I work as a labourer on building sites. I used to earn $14 a day but now I take home $16. I can’t afford to pay rent, education and food for my family if I was to live in Mogadishu,” the husband of two wives and father-of-five told Al Jazeera. “Only the rich can afford to live in this city. Everyone else is either struggling or has moved somewhere else.”

For Mumtaz, the solution is for less people to move to the city.

“Every Somali wants to live in Mogadishu. Until that changes, I don’t see anything changing. Prices will keep going up,” she said.

Here is a long article about it:
This is true the working class poor people will soon be gentrified by the ever increasing richer Somalis from abroad and those within Somali Penninsula.

Benadir State needs to be created quick to stem overimmigration and to mitigate inflation, otherwise soon the locals will be completely out priced and forced to move further out.

This is true the working class poor people will soon be gentrified by the ever increasing richer Somalis from abroad and those within Somali Penninsula.

Benadir State needs to be created quick to stem overimmigration and to mitigate inflation, otherwise soon the locals will be completely out priced and forced to move further out.

Bad luck Not everyone can afford to live in the capital city.

low income working class should move into afgooye area and outskirts.

. Hopefully in few years there will no more jingaads lining the roads

bidenkulaha

GalYare
Bad luck Not everyone can afford to live in the capital city.

low income working class should move into afgooye area and outskirts.

. Hopefully in few years there will no more jingaads lining the roads
The only problem is that Afgoye will be too expensive soon enough. But at least this way security and development improves and expands beyond Xamar. Kind of like how London started a lot smaller than it is now.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The government needs to put heavy investment in Afgooye, Balcad and other satellite cities.

At very least build some decent motorways that link these cities to Xamar and probably some bus routes.

Trending