Ahmed Hussen: From refugee to rookie MP

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

syntax

I feel as if all this hype is going to lead to unreasonable expectations from the Somali community. I already hear Somali people around town (including alot online) expecting he's going to do so much for the Somali community. I'm not even trying to be pessimistic when i say this, but I wouldn't hold my breath for this guy to make any real changes in the Somali community. MPs in the Canadian government are just pawns for the Prime Ministers Office/Executive level. They don't really have much say.

This is the 3 main roles, according to the Library of Parliment [source]

They portray a sovereign representative assembly performing three central tasks:

(1) to consider, refine and pass legislation;

(2) to hold government accountable for its administration of the laws and authorize the expenditure of the required funds; and

(3) to determine the life of the Government through exercising the ability to provide or withhold support.

Sounds nice and democratical and shit but the PMs office has way too much power. Anytime they introduce a new bill to Parliment they expect the absolute and unwavering support of their entire caucus or any rouge MP will suffer consequences as severe as getting kicked out of the party. So basically they are virtually powerless and can't adhere to any of those 3 points above. I mean it's good that the Somali community got one of our own in the House, but I don't expect much :hehehehe:

hopefully he gets something done, our local mj political hoohaa (abdi warsame) has done fuckall except put up 3 street signs lol

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
In the middle of the video, in his office, he had non-stop calls asking help on immigration issues and he had to tell them that he is not yet an MP.

@syntax don't you think he can advocate for improvements for his Somali constituents. Examples: apartment renovations? Immigration issues ? Daycare ? Small business startups and tax relieve ? Advocating for Puntland? :banderas:

S

syntax

kkkk @ advocating for puntland lol

@menace I'm sure the Somali government is going to benefit, regardless of a Somali or non Somali MP, from this majority liberal government. Government spending is going to increase. More government/social programs. More money for us Somalis to steal from the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.